Gaming Problem??

lost0822

Limp Gawd
I’m having a major problem that has been bugging me for a while. I built my system about a year ago and up until 5 months ago I’ve been pretty good about keeping things up to date. Here are my specs:

Athlon 64 3400+ "Clawhammer"
XP-90 w/Vantec Tornado
MSI K8N Neo Platinum
520w OCZ
eVGA 6800GT
512x2 Corsair Value Select
160 Samsung SATA
DVD+/- RW
DVD-Rom

Here’s the problem. I’ve been playing WOW since around Christmas 04 and pretty much have not strayed from playing it. I recently got Battlefield 2. Install the game but did not update my drivers for the 6800 (currently was using the 66.93 version), I had’nt had any problems with the older ones and I like to not fix something that’s not broken. Battlefield 2 would work fine though but every time I went to play it, it would tell me that my drivers were out of date yet the game would run fine. Well the other day I went to play Battlefield 2 and when I double clicked on the icon the splash screen hit and then it just went back to the desktop. So I thought that finally things had caught up to me and that I needed to update my video driver, so I went and downloaded the latest from eVGA (77.77 version). Well Battlefield 2 still would not start up, same thing happened. Then I tried WOW with the new drivers…..well now I was getting intermintent freezing every 20 seconds or so….so the game was basically unplayable. I scrambled to find the old 66.93 driver, reloaded it, and WOW worked fine again but Battlefield 2 still did not work.

So then I thought I should update my BIOS….did that, nothing……same problem. I un-installed Battlefield 2 and reloaded…..problem continued. I’ve also used Ad-aware, Spybot, checked for viruses…everything is cleaned and the problem is still there. So now I’m stuck with this old driver so that I can at least play WOW, but I still can not get Battlefield to work. I really do not want to format but I’m thinking I might have to eventually just because I like to do once a year anyway. Anyone have any suggestions??? I don’t know where to look now…any suggestions would be great….thanks

Im running a 16 month old XFX 6800GT and the only drivers that will work for me in BF2 are the 77.72's. I must say they are the first drivers that I can run everything without seeing the BSOD.

P4C800-E
[email protected]
4 X 512 Corsair 3200XL 2,3,3,6 @250 1:1 @2.85v
Promise SX4 256mg RAID0 , 4X36G Raptors
Plextor 712 DVD
XFX 6800GT 425/1250
OCZ 520W PowerStream
Watercooled
Antec 800 series Workstation case

Ok, Here is the Short answer to your question.......since you have the NEO platinum, it has an AGP port. The 66.93 drivers from NVIDIA are the best for AGP, however, BF2 is scripted to check the revision date on the video card drivers.

So, with that said, on to the problem. YOur motherboard, if I am not mistaken has the great NFORCE 3 chipset. Fantastic. However, the chipset drivers for the nforce 3 have a component called the "GART" driver that gets installed at the same time as the rest of the chipset components.

Now, download the latest chipset drivers for your motherboard from NVIDIA.com, as well as the 77.72 or 77.77(I prefer the later). Save then onto your desktop.
Reboot the computer into safe mode. go into add/remove programs. click change on the nvidia drivers, then select to remove only the "GART" and the Display drivers.
Reboot again in safe mode.
install the new video card drivers.

the problem should be fixed. Now enjoy BF2 and WoW. If that only slightly fixes the issue, then proceed below.

BIOS setting changes.......
Adjust the AGP apeture from whatever it is to 128MB
Adjust the default AGP voltage from 1.5 to 1.6volts.
Turn OFF AGP Fast Writes.
And if you see AGP Side Band Addressing, disable it.
F10 to save and exit.

That is about all that I can think of right now. Let me know if the problem still persists.

Back