Gaming laptop kinda / sorta. Need Help

Sedriss

Limp Gawd
Guys im a pickle here and need some help weighing out some choices. I wanted a gaming laptop (well kinda) to be able to play a majority of todays games to some extent but also watch movies and music. Thing is of course is money. Im stretching myself and far as i can go and was hoping to keep costs down. But im stuck between 2 different setups right now.

Im looking at a Dell 9400 and AsusF3.... Specs and pricing below

Asus F3
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220142

T7200, 15.4 screen, 1GB of DDR2 667, 120GB HD @ 5400 rpm, Vista Home Premium, and a X1700 ... all for $1,313.81 (s&h included)

Dell 9400
http://ecomm.dell.com/dellstore/basket.aspx?itemtype=CFG&s=bsd&l=en&cs=04&c=us&&details=false

T7200, 17 inch screen, 1GB of DDR2 533, 80GB HD @ 7200 rpm, Vista Home Basic, 7900GS ... all for $1,505.58

Now, i would like to say that they are highs and lows to each system for me...

Asus:

Pros = Cheaper of course, lil bit faster ram, lil more compact, bigger hard drive, and it comes with a mouse and carrying case.

Cons = Smaller screen than a 17 inch, not a fast HD, VC is medium par

Dell:

Pros = 17 inch screen, fast HD, nice GC

Cons = Higher price, slower ram, not as big of HD to the 120, no case or mouse included.

Id also like to add that i got a preferred account with each company (Dell n Newegg). I like that i have no payments for 6 months with the newegg card though.

What would you guys settle for? I figure i can upgrade the ram later for both machines but i like the fact that i can grab the dell with the faster HD. IS the price worth the difference? Thing is also, i believe it might hit me harder with Dell as their APR is higher than Neweggs as well. Thoughts?

I think in that combo for the Dell, you should drop the hard drive down to 80GB at 5400RPM, and then up your ram to the 667. Also, I think that you can do better on the price by getting their coupons by email. That will help also.

or get a m170 with a better gc and complete care for the price you want

either way the dells the only one who will offer you full protection

the 5400 120gb drive will be as fast or marginally faster than the smaller 80gb 7200rpm hdd.

the reason is due to platter density. You basically have 1 drive (the 5.4krpm) that only has to spin 2/3 the speed of the other drive (the 7.2krpm) to read the same amount of data. Your performance between the two is so negligible that it is almost not worth considering.

You lose seek time with a 5400rpm drive, but the data throughput is equal with those two models.

If this is a desktop replacement, grab the 17" model. If this is supposed to be portable, (train rides, car trips, airplane trips) you will want the smaller one.

Visit a bestbuy or staples and "test drive" a 17" model and a 15" model to find out which size is the best for you.

edit: Hrm, those two video cards are night and day. I'd go for the 17" if that's your budget. :)

if gaming is your priority, then get the dell

if portability is your priority, then get the asus

although i don't think 15.4 inches is very portable, you might want to look into the asus a8js or a8jp on newegg

also faster ram doesn't mean much on laptops, you can't o/c them

and get 2 gigs of ram with the dell $150 is not bad for 2 gigs, and it's also covered by dell if they go bad, and if you get 1 gig, you'll get 2 so-dimms as opposed to 1

the 5400 120gb drive will be as fast or marginally faster than the smaller 80gb 7200rpm hdd.

the reason is due to platter density. You basically have 1 drive (the 5.4krpm) that only has to spin 2/3 the speed of the other drive (the 7.2krpm) to read the same amount of data. Your performance between the two is so negligible that it is almost not worth considering.

You lose seek time with a 5400rpm drive, but the data throughput is equal with those two models.

If this is a desktop replacement, grab the 17" model. If this is supposed to be portable, (train rides, car trips, airplane trips) you will want the smaller one.

Visit a bestbuy or staples and "test drive" a 17" model and a 15" model to find out which size is the best for you.

edit: Hrm, those two video cards are night and day. I'd go for the 17" if that's your budget. :)

So as far as lets say loading windows, apps, games, i wont really see much of a difference between the 5400rpm and 7200rpm? You said seek time would be longer for the 120 opposed to the 80GB drive. Essentially wouldn't the drives perform the same just the seek time would be differant meaning apps would load quicker? Lol or did i pretty much just repeat what you said lol.... sorry if i did. I essentially should go with the 80GB if i want apps and stuff to load faster.

If you want more responsive times to apps loading, go with the 80GB, but once an app starts to load, the load time will be effectively the same.

Me (speaking for myself) given the choice, I would go for a 120GB HDD over the 80GB version because of the physical space (40 more GB) and the seek time would not be as noticeable for me in a mobile environment.

NOW... if you get a 120GB 7200rpm drive, thats the ticket there....

For me, space > seektime but If I can have both, I buy the space + seektime (higher RPM drive)

if you're on a budget i'd get the cheapest drive, dell charges too much for theirs

newegg has 80 gig 7200rpm drives for $85-100

if you buy from newegg and get the base (free/included drive) you get 2 drives for ~$100
if you buy the 80 gig 7200rpm hdd from dell, you get 1 drive for $100

I have a E1705 with a 7900gs is a pretty decent performer. I can play fear in 1280 resalution with everything jacked up. And Half Life 2 in 1920 res with everything cranked up. So far im very happy with the E1705.

the E1705 is a good choice, you can get it down to around 1500$ from dell.com with those coupons.

But if you have to pick from those two I would pick the Asus simply because im a college student and need to take my laptop across campus to libraries/classes every other day. Even I think my S96j(the previous generation of the Asus F3) is a little too heavy.

If your going to be stationary, then pick the dell.

Back