Gaming in Linux... a few questions

j4zzee

Limp Gawd
I use Linux for everything but gaming it seems. I don't really mess with X or desktop related things. I play with dns, sendmail, web servers, databases, firewalls & networking stuff usually. I did attempt once to get Unreal Tournament up and running and had problems, so I just fired up my XP box, and that is how its been. I go to windows for games.

Here are my questions...
1. I am getting ready to build a new computer. Should I buy nVidia for my new card?
2. Is running games under emulation worth it? or a waste?
3. What is thee gaming website for linux users?
4. Am I wasting my time trying to game with Linux?

5. Why don't the game companies port to Linux more? Some of these companies make obnoxoius amounts of money...so lack of resources can't be it? Wouldn't the developers like to do it?

My answers would be
1. I would recomend Nvidia, as they have had the better support as of yet
2. I haven't done much in the area of using emulation for games, but I know quite a few do
3. Check out http://www.linuxgamingplanet.com and http://www.linux-gamers.net
4. I don't think so, I personally have been using Slackware for UT, UT200[3.4], Quake 3, RTCT, Enemy Teritory, and plan on using it for DooM 3. Although most of that list is based on Quake 3's engine, the others (The Unreal Tournament series) Still work great in Linux. some might lack a few features, but not to much.

1. I am getting ready to build a new computer. Should I buy nVidia for my new card?

nVidia is, currently, the only way to go for a good video card that's supported under Linux; ATI's not even in the running there.

Some games run well under WINE, some don't. It'll never be as simple as running XP. Note that Wine is not an emulator, it's a compatability library.

...unless by emulation you mean emulation of consoles, in which case it's easily doable.

got me. Google for "linux games" and see what comes up?

I wouldn't go that far, it'll be a bit more work & your selection of titles are going to be limited however. It really comes down to how hardcore of a gamer you are; if you _need_ to play every new title that comes out then, yes, it's a bad idea. If, OTOH, you are a more casual gamer & content with a smaller selection of titles, you've got options.

Yes, nVidia's Linux video drivers are excellent, easily besting ATi's offerings. If you'll game a lot in Linux, nVidia should be your only choice until ATi can release some better drivers.

Most games run through WINE or WineX, which are not emulators. They're implementations of the Windows APIs for Linux that allows you run windows applications and games. If they were emulators of Windows, gaming probably wouldn't be that good.

I have no clue, but Xipher probably has that covered.

It all depends on what you want to play. Newer games can be run through Wine, but there might be some older obscure game you like that can't run because it's not supported. It doesn't hurt to try, I say.

5. Why don't the game companies port to Linux more? Some of these companies make obnoxoius amounts of money...so lack of resources can't be it? Wouldn't the developers like to do it?

Well, the fact that the Linux user base isn't anywhere near as large compared to the Windows user base is probably one reason why. Companies probably don't feel the need to port a game to a community that's not as big as the dominant force.

But fret not, some games will have native Linux versions, but right now I can only think of Unreal Tournament 2004, and the id games.

ATI should not be an option due to lack of drive support. NVidia is the only viable option.

Emulation would never work, but as mentioned, WINE is not emulator :p

use google; so many support forums exist

Not at all. I get much better performance under linux

Low amount of users compared to windows. The linux community is also more resistant toward paying for software.

it seems when I play games in linux they open, close, and switch screens so much faster then on windows. THe actual game performance was not as good but I really can't compare because I was using a GF3 and a 9800 :p

ATI has been supporting linux drivers since last year and they are regularly updated. So is there a problem with them or were you just unaware that there are working and supported ATI drivers?

Yes, ATi has drivers out for Linux, but they aren't really that good compared to Nvidia's.

1. Yeah nvidia on linux is the only way to go. The install of drivers is just about as easy as windows, well sorta. Edit a config file and run the installer and you're set.

2. Games running under emulation are worth it. Some games run better. Take tribes 2 for instance (has been ported to linux) the sound in the ported game just sucks but running tribes 2 under winex is just like running it on windows. HL runs fine, actually perfectly. COD runs great, moh runs great. (Thought i'd name a few titles)

3. I go to linuxgames.com for all my linux gaming needs.

4. Are you wasting your time? No, really depends on the game :)

5. Haven't quite figured that out. Has to be $$, if there really was a market for it games would be ported left and right.

Silent1 said:
1. Yeah nvidia on linux is the only way to go. The install of drivers is just about as easy as windows, well sorta. Edit a config file and run the installer and you're set.

2. Games running under emulation are worth it. Some games run better. Take tribes 2 for instance (has been ported to linux) the sound in the ported game just sucks but running tribes 2 under winex is just like running it on windows. HL runs fine, actually perfectly. COD runs great, moh runs great. (Thought i'd name a few titles)

3. I go to linuxgames.com for all my linux gaming needs.

4. Are you wasting your time? No, really depends on the game :)

5. Haven't quite figured that out. Has to be $$, if there really was a market for it games would be ported left and right.

Not to get off subject, but how much more work is required to build the games like "Epic Games" does and make the code and libraries compatible in Linux and Win32?

Not exactly sure, but if you use OpenGL instead of DirectX it's -much- easier.

I think Epic just writes a Direct3D renderer for the Windows version, and they rewrote the OpenGL renderer they used in UT2003 for Linux, as Linux doesn't use DirectX.

Back