Gaming at 1440 and above

dremic

Supreme [H]ardness
How many of you guys are pushing resolutions 1440 and higher?

How do you like it ? Single monitor or multiple?

I am probably gonna get the Dell U2713HM which is 1440p single monitor 27inch.

I am also curious about the performance hit when jumping to 1440p from 1200p.. am i going to be tempted to sli my 670

I play at 1440 too. I use an Apple 27" LED, thinking about buying another 2. Only thing is I need to upgrade my VC, which is a GTX 580

I've been gaming at 2560x1600 for approximately 3.5 years now (30" Dell) and I love it. Eyefinity still isn't there for me yet; between the spotty support and the bezels (particularly the bezels) I just don't like it nearly as much as a large screen filling most of my vision. The one "issue" you have is that as you scale your resolution up, you're tying yourself to needing much more powerful hardware than the average user. A decent number of games I want to play (Witcher 2, BF3, Metro 2033, Crysis 2) stress even my system trying to turn up all the eye candy at this resolution.

I've been gaming at 2560x1600 for approximately 3.5 years now (30" Dell) and I love it. Eyefinity still isn't there for me yet; between the spotty support and the bezels (particularly the bezels) I just don't like it nearly as much as a large screen filling most of my vision. The one "issue" you have is that as you scale your resolution up, you're tying yourself to needing much more powerful hardware than the average user. A decent number of games I want to play (Witcher 2, BF3, Metro 2033, Crysis 2) stress even my system trying to turn up all the eye candy at this resolution.

my concern too is the performance thing. a single 670 is prolly gonna struggle

my concern too is the performance thing. a single 670 is prolly gonna struggle

For 1440p, you'll be fine with a single 670, unless you need 8x Super Sampled AA or some shit. Kind of a hefty sticker price imo for the upgrade, I'd wait a bit and see if anything else is around the corner.

For 1440p, you'll be fine with a single 670, unless you need 8x Super Sampled AA or some shit. Kind of a hefty sticker price imo for the upgrade, I'd wait a bit and see if anything else is around the corner.

for the monitor?

If you game a $1000+ 30" may last 5 or 6 years but costs more than the initiial $1000+, it's a commitment to spend $500-1000 with the monitor and every 2-3 years after on video cards, because going back to low-res gaming isn't really an option.

Yeah. $700 bucks is a pretty penny for an upgrade. You look at the Auria 27" IPS Panel?

actually this dude has a sales rep selling it for 600$, -200$ i have somebody that is gonna buy my u2412m and then -75 cause you get 75 if you buy a dell gift card. making the 800$ monitor 325$ out of pocket.

dope huh?

actually this dude has a sales rep selling it for 600$, -200$ i have somebody that is gonna buy my u2412m and then -75 cause you get 75 if you buy a dell gift card. making the 800$ monitor 325$ out of pocket.

dope huh?

For $325? What the fuck are you waiting for? I'd be all over that.

For $325? What the fuck are you waiting for? I'd be all over that.

waiting for the dude that has the reps info to PM me back

also the estimated delivery date isnt till like december 7th :O

but once i have the reps contact info it will happen :p

I run a 2560x1440 monitor with a 7970. There are some games which can't be played smoothly at max, but for the most part everything runs really well. I have no intention of using dual cards.

I use a 6950 2gb to play at 2560x1440.

But my primary game right now is Borderlands 2 and it works great on max settings. It's silky smooth.

My coworker is playing BL2 on his 30" 2560x1600 with a GTX 260. :eek:
He claims that the game is smooth on high details. I don't believe him.

But my primary game right now is Borderlands 2 and it works great on max settings. It's silky smooth.

i dont believe him either, lets fuck him up with sticks.

Thanks for the replies guys. Im pretty much sold on the monitor. Cant wait to see what it looks like. estimated delivery date is december 7th :O

Gotta call BS, with crossfired 6970s I'm running around 45 FPS.

You'll get decent performance with a 670 @ 2560x1440. I'm using a 680 now but games ran really well even on my 580 as long as AA wasn't cranked up too high @ 2560x1600.

AA becomes less of an issue at those resolutions also. I find that in most games, simply enabling FXAA is more than sufficient.

i game at 1680*1050 but then again that is all the 4870 can handle with newer games

I'm running 1440 resolution, and have 2x 580's. It can handle most games I throw at it, sometimes no AA though.

Yeah no way in hell. I bet he tells the girls that the cucumber in his pants is real too. See Spinaltap for more info.

I can run most games fine a 2048X1536 on my 670. AA kills the fps but at the higher resolutions you don't really need AA nearly as much. BF3 will wax a single 670 though.

Im at 1440 with 2x gtx 670 and it has zero issue with anything.

@ 1440 w/ a 680. Very rarely do I get graphics lag at maximum/custom settings. Well worth it. :)

I have a Dell 30" running at 2560x1600. I love it. I wanted a lot of visual real estate but didn't want the issues of multiple monitor support in different games and then theres the whole issue of bezels in your line of sight. Some people get over it, others dont. I didnt want to chance that I wouldnt. I was amazed when I first setup my 30", but now I dont ever see myself going back to anything smaller. I can see myself spending good $ to refresh tech (mainly gfx cards) every few years, but I can live with that.

I *hate* going to work and using 2x1680x1050 monitors. I guess it just makes me appreciate what I have when I get home.

I went from 1024x768 -> 1440x900 -> 2048x1152 -> 2560x1600 to both the resolutions on my signature. I think the biggest investment that I love the most buying a 30" monitor. Just like what other 30'ers said...once you go 2560x1600 there's no turning back unless you're going short on funds.

Gamed on a 30" 2560x1600 for many years, it was a hard resolution to push back in the old days when games were actually demanding on hardware, you absolutely needed high end SLI or Crossfire.

These days games are all console ports they run extremely fast because they're all designed to run on 7 year old hardware. One thing to keep in mind is that this won't necessarily always be the case, while I don't think the console bubble is quite ready to burst, we will see new consoles soon and that will bring a sharp increase in the quality of the average port and that will be demanding on PC gamers who have flocked to 27-30" monitors or multi-monitor.

If you're prepared to back your resolution with the right horsepower then it's an absolutely hands down an unbeatable gaming experience.

I went from 1024x768 -> 1440x900 -> 2048x1152 -> 2560x1600 to both the resolutions on my signature. I think the biggest investment that I love the most buying a 30" monitor. Just like what other 30'ers said...once you go 2560x1600 there's no turning back unless you're going short on funds.

This is true but it's worth pointing out that instead of focusing on size/quality you can go the speed route with faster response time and faster refresh rates, I added a 120Hz 24" 1080p panel to my collection recently and tend to prefer gaming on that where I'm being competitive, the smoothness of 120fps at 120hz should never be underestimated for gaming.

I see that as a sidegrade in many ways, I of course keep and use both monitors for their appropriate purposes :)

I play at 2560x1600 and I love it. I would hate to go back to 1920x1200 now. I love my Dell U3011.

I run a 1440p Shimian and a BenQ XL2420T on a GTX 680. For any competitive games (BF3, CS) I switch to the BenQ for 120hz/120fps and fast response, but I sure do miss the sharpness and IQ when I do.

This is true but it's worth pointing out that instead of focusing on size/quality you can go the speed route with faster response time and faster refresh rates, I added a 120Hz 24" 1080p panel to my collection recently and tend to prefer gaming on that where I'm being competitive, the smoothness of 120fps at 120hz should never be underestimated for gaming.

I see that as a sidegrade in many ways, I of course keep and use both monitors for their appropriate purposes :)

personally i am not willing to sacrifice the image quality in order to get 120hz

im sure dell will have ips monitors that are 120hz at the higher resolutions they are at now but until then ima wait

personally i am not willing to sacrifice the image quality in order to get 120hz

im sure dell will have ips monitors that are 120hz at the higher resolutions they are at now but until then ima wait

Right on.

120Hz? Nice.

Better color and ok response times, bigger screen? NICE.

If you go multi monitor, then you go 3, because of the bezel in the middle with only 2.

Right on.

120Hz? Nice.

Better color and ok response times, bigger screen? NICE.

i still remember what it was like to look at my u2412m going from a shitty matte monitor. the color reproduction is just amazing.

Back