Games that ruined gaming

1. halo : regenerating health, truly the worse idea for a shooter, talk about just taking all the tension out of game, and becuase if it's sucess ever damn shooter has to have regnerating health, no matter how illogical it is
2. COD. there was a time when you played a game to get to the next level or boss, now instead its like you are on a rail taken to your next cinematic, where you are now reminded constantly that nothing you do matters in the least

Halo had regenrating shields, not health. If you were down to one or two health, you could easily get killed if hit a couple tmies by something tough or get swarmed (like in the Library) even if you had a full shield.

Skyrim. Worst KB/M control scheme ever in a PC game. Well port. I got so frustrated that I never got past level 6. Absolutely loathe it!

:)

World of Warcraft. Not only has it completely destroyed the MMO genre but it's effects are felt even in all other genres even if only subtle (like using text color schemes on items to represent their rarity. Dead Island as an example) There are only 2 games in the MMO industry no matter how new they are: WoW and Games trying to be like WoW.

COD has done more damage than any game in recent memory. WoW? Please , WoW actually managed to advance MMO's ..something everyone seemingly forgets whenever this kind of topic comes up. MMO's are always shadows of previous generation MMO's with different window dressing , hard to align that with "Games that ruined gaming".

Halo? Come on. Halo had 2 PC releases and both were eclipsed by other PC FPS games. Talk about grasping at straws there.

COD has single handled sold more consistently each and every release telling developers world wide "Yes , gamers fucking love this drivel. This mindless recycled game is the perfect way to milk out a yearly franchise were legions of fools will gladly pay $60 for the game and another $60 for DLC and possibly another $50 for a super special "Elite' membership where a bunch of paid celebs can babble in videos about how they "like" COD too!!! And members can get a small discount on DLC WOWOWOW"

Madden is another. EA's entire sports gaming line. Can't hold a candle to 2K5 during its high point. Yet ever year we get the same recycled bullshit and gamers gobble it up.

But honestly , I'll state again , nothing in my mind comes close to "damaging" gaming quite like COD.

World of Warcraft. Not only has it completely destroyed the MMO genre but it's effects are felt even in all other genres even if only subtle (like using text color schemes on items to represent their rarity. Dead Island as an example) There are only 2 games in the MMO industry no matter how new they are: WoW and Games trying to be like WoW.

God yes.. WoW has completely destroyed the genre. Everything tries to copy it. And people still buy them lol. I miss old mmo's where the weak never got anywhere :p

I dunno- I always liked the CoD series, I still do.

WoW ruined MMO's

Diablo 3 is great. I dont wanna hear dribble about waiting, or all the changes, I feel as though the story has continued nicely and I will be happy to play it.

Furthermore, CoD was fine until the second modern warfare, then it sucked out loud.

CoD definitely takes the cake, especially since the series was actually pretty awesome at some point. It was a nice alternative to Medal of Honor when they both did the WWII theme. I bet a large amount of people don't even know that MoH originated from that, back when it had more relations to espionage (ooooh the atmosphere)

Anyways, with CoD the game delivers a lackluster campaign that makes a Michael Bay movie look like fucking Shakespeare. The multiplayer perpetuated the hilarious belief in online shooters that "hardcore" is actually hardcore when all it does is make people less skilled. On that particular note I think CoD has especially damaged gaming with the ADHD style gameplay: everything has to be instant gratification. I can't even talk to people about gaming anymore because instead of playing games to be fun or see something play out, they want to get 12 matches in before they have to go to work in 20 minutes.

Oh, and CoD ruined Battlefield. lol

WoW, I still have friends playing that. I mean give it a rest and play some BF3 with me :(

Yep, CoD ruined the entire FPS genre, now modern FPS games are shit because they are imitating CoD's lameness.

Yeah Halo. It popularized slower gameplay which began the death of twitch shooters. It also popularized FPS games on consoles, which began the death of the PC shooter.

The COD games are an easy target, but they were just an inevitable result of what Halo initiated.

Halo 1 was awesome and the Halo series are the only FPS's I can play on console.

Call of Duty was great CoD 2 was great. 3 through MW are just terrible.

WoW advanced MMO's dramatically, and while they've polished that into a turd lately, Blizzard demolished what any MMO has ever done.

Dance dance revolution. The Father of the biggest stain in video game history. Everything from rockband to the Kinect came from this mindless piece of pop garbage.

The "app". 99% of the android and iPhone library of games are complete garbage. Yet Apple hails its iPhone and iPod as the greatest handheld gaming "console" in the world. Which brings me to my next topic.

FarmVille and Facebook spyware. If you use Facebook, you know what I'm talking about.

You can't put wow on the list. They didn't ruin mmos. They have just had enough time to polish theirs up to near perfection. Most mmos that are released are original and try hard to stray away from wow but people don't want to play an incomplete game. Look at swtor, basic things that should have been in the game at release arent there. Instead you are being begged to sit and wait for the next patch to come out so they can give you what should already be in game.

unfinished games being released and having DLC to make it a complete product.

Games don't ruin gaming, gamers ruin gaming.

Call of Duty are actually pretty good games IMO, it was people buying it in such huge numbers despite them releasing a new version each year that ruined it.

Halo was a great game as well, you could argue that Goldeneye ruined FPS games because it was one of first (if not the first) FPS game that was good on consoles.

It's more about too many business executives that don't understand videogames being in control of publishers right now. Chris Avellone recently stated in an interview that if they pitched a game where the focus was on a deep dialogue system and interesting gaming mechanics rather than state of the art graphics, all of the marketers would just straight up walk out of the meeting.

Want a recent example of this?

The Elder Scrolls Online. It's such an obvious and desperate cash-in that even hardcore TES fans are hating it already.

Half Life 2 and battlefield 3 as they introduced shitty drm clients. Any game that's rushed out unfinished or even worse has unlockable DLC on the disk that you have to pay extra for like just about anything made by CAPCOM. And not forgetting any game by UBISOFT with there we love our paying costumers DRM attitude :)

I dont really blame any game as every game someone will like, its the things they do to the game like clients, exclusive dlc, limited installs, the fact you don't own the game your just leasing it etc that make gaming a pretty bad mess right now. VALVE is to blame for showing developers that they could get away with it but god only knows where it will end and what kind of mess gaming is going to end up being.

Last edited:
COD, navigating through the castle which is pretty much only one way, and there's another guy with you demonstrating exactly where to go. Several times i get stopped because the platform was up to my knees.

Game: Jump here.

No duh.

I appreciate hints on how to solve a level (i.e. prince of persia), but there's a point where it just gets retarded.

For an FPS where you're free to move around, COD feels like a rail shooter.

"Walk to blinking icon"
"Press action to plant bomb"
"Run away"
"Press action to kill dog"
"Go to car"
"Press action to open"

And now every other FPS is following suite.

Although controversial, CS. After that it was a load of boring modern shooters and focus on "realism". Also deathmatches became serious business and boring.

Also whichever game added shitty stats to games. Which has also made the vast majority of people scared of having fun. Having the highest accuracy because you only fire sniper rifles 5 times a match, and camp with a machine gun at the base so you have a high K;D bullshit, does not make you the best player in the world. Just a total bore. I preferred it when someone would say "hey lets go all gauntlets and see who gets the most kills" and people would just try whatever because they were there for fun. If you said "hey lets all just use knives" people would whine about their "stats" and pointless crap. It's a game. Made for fun. Not a fucking career resume. :p

Quake Arena, Battlefield 1942 and other online shooters, that removed the proper single player campaign. Now the SP is just short and simple addon to MP.

Like many, I am going to have to go with Call of Duty. The first two had fantastic campaigns. Three was forgettable in every way. Modern Warfare started the stupid campaign trend, but I did actually really enjoy the MP. That's sort of when it went downhill though. COD5 was just a reskin back in WW2, and MW2 was the same shit over again. By that time the COD yearly cycle had reached its stride, and the overpriced DLC machine was is full effect. Every single COD release from then on just becomes more and more damaging to our best interests.

Quake Arena, Battlefield 1942 and other online shooters, that removed the proper single player campaign. Now the SP is just short and simple addon to MP.

Ehg, I don't think I fault these titles for that. Those games were marketed for an online audience, and they weren't that popular (compared to online console shooters of today). I'd sooner blame the success of Xbox Live. By the end of the Xbox / PS2 generation, consoles were playing catch-up in online gaming. Multiplayer (mostly) only existed in titles where it added something (Halo 2, sports titles, etc). But then the 360 dropped, and this time we had a console built around being connected to the internet. This is when I first saw reviews start knocking games for not including a multiplayer component, whether it had a place in the game or not (Kameo comes to mind here, people complained because the co-op was local only). Devs got the message, and started tacking on MP to everything. It seems that to this day, no one has figured out how to do both. You either get good MP with a lackluster campaign, or a decent campaign with crappy MP thrown in for the sake of printing "compelling multiplayer" on the back of the box. I can't think of many games that really excelled at both.

ET
General - Laserdisk games (in terms of eye candy over any sort of gameplay)
General - Any game with micro transactions / £ boost model

1. halo : regenerating health, truly the worse idea for a shooter, talk about just taking all the tension out of game, and becuase if it's sucess ever damn shooter has to have regnerating health, no matter how illogical it is
2. COD. there was a time when you played a game to get to the next level or boss, now instead its like you are on a rail taken to your next cinematic, where you are now reminded constantly that nothing you do matters in the least

1) You never played on anything harder and "normal" did you? Beside that, it was a shield, not a health that regenerated.

2) Be more specific, the original CoD was good. Everything that followed was crap and just some how got even worse.

It's more about too many business executives that don't understand videogames being in control of publishers right now. Chris Avellone recently stated in an interview that if they pitched a game where the focus was on a deep dialogue system and interesting gaming mechanics rather than state of the art graphics, all of the marketers would just straight up walk out of the meeting.
He definitely is not pitching, shipping a bug free game. :p

Wow...

A lot of the COD games were good before this yearly update fiasco.

Halo did not have regenerating health and was not the game that started it. Halo 1 was an excellent game.

Oh, and CoD ruined Battlefield. lol

amen to this....the BF guys went to shitville like everyone else after years of being the only ones doing it right and trying to be innovative with large scale stuff. Now BF is just COD with the BF name and some vehicles.

it was COD 4 Modern Warfare that did it all.

they didn't remove it. thy never had it.

Those games were built specifically for MP where as other gamess with good SP mostly threw in MP as a bonus.

Now it is just the other way around. With high speed internet and such, MP reaches more people so they go where the money is and sadly that isn't in a well rounded and memorable SP.

they didn't remove it. thy never had it.

Those games were built specifically for MP where as other gamess with good SP mostly threw in MP as a bonus.

Now it is just the other way around. With high speed internet and such, MP reaches more people so they go where the money is and sadly that isn't in a well rounded and memorable SP.

There are a lot of FPS games where the SP is the focus though. Just because COD and BF might not have that 'memorable SP', doesn't mean games like Metro 2033 don't deliver.

So foraging for health packs which magically fix all gun shot wounds and other trauma makes a lot more sense right? Got it. I don't mind the mechanic. I don't have fond memories have having 12 health and running all over parts of the map I already visited in the futile hope that I missed something so that I don't have to be boned heading into the next section. Now I'd agree there was more challenge in that system, but I've still experienced some challenging games with regenerating health.

As for nothing mattering, a boss fight doesn't change that. Games which attempt to have a plot drive them forward have to be scripted. Even games like Mass Effect only provide an illusion of choice. You may have some branching paths but they always lead back to the same endings. Programing constraints either due to technological limitations or development time are still an issue. A game with multiple paths still need to converge or the developers would never finishthem. While it's more interactive, boss fights aren't necessarily a good thing. They usually feature the most ridiculous "find the pattern and exploit it" weaksauce mechanics possible. This is done to cover for the fact that AI in games is still pretty bad and the only way for the game's enemies to challenge you is either to have scores of them sent to kill you at once, or use a single boss type enemy which can kill you in about 4 seconds flat.

Most boss fights are some of the weakest and least fun aspects of a given game.

WoW ruined gaming? I think what you're all trying to say is "WoW has made any developer trying to make an MMO try extra hard now to not put out a shitty game"

Wth is it with the community here who hate amazing things. Apple. WoW. Hell, Blizzard in general. CoD. People are so made that the company keeps making these rehashed versions. How about you get the people buying them to stop, then bitch at the developers. It's YOU EXACT people who keep buying the game.

Wth is it with the community here who hate amazing things. Apple. WoW. Hell, Blizzard in general. CoD. People are so made that the company keeps making these rehashed versions. How about you get the people buying them to stop, then bitch at the developers. It's YOU EXACT people who keep buying the game.

"But how will I play with my friends if I don't buy the same POS game they're all playing?"

WoW ruined gaming? I think what you're all trying to say is "WoW has made any developer trying to make an MMO try extra hard now to not put out a shitty game"

None of those companies are amazing. They've just occasionally made products which might be classified as amazing.

And I haven't purchased the most recent CoD, and until they finally give them a new engine and start adding new game play elements, I probably won't be buying anymore of them.

Back