Games slow to a crawl on 8800GTX

Cornflake

Limp Gawd
Hi,

A couple days ago my games started slowing down to like 10 FPS after playing them for more than 5 minutes. It doesn't matter what game -- Far Cry 2, GTAIV, FlatOut, etch they all do it. I have tried restarting my computer with all startup items disabled but it's a no go. Also i just uninstalled my drivers and used Driver Sweeper (and removed all remnants) and reinstalled but the symptoms still remain. It isn't stuttering - it's literally my framerate going down to a number and staying exactly at that.

I am using the 185.85 drivers, like I have been for months now. This started happening around the time I tarted using ObjectDock on my computer, but I completely disabled it from startup. Any ideas on the cause of this guys?

Well I was using RivaTuner to monitor video card memory usage, and it stays stable. Same with my system RAM...

My card is hitting 105c during gaming sessions could it be overheating problems? I've used this pc in hot stuffy rooms before which i'm sure the CPU hit these kind of temps before... but I've never had it overheat.

The card is suffering the common 8800 series death.

105° is way too much for this card and indicates that it is dying unless it's just a clogged heatsink. Make sure your heatsink is completely blown clear of any dust that might be trapped in the shroud. Disassemble the shroud and clean it religiously. Reapply new thermal compound. See if that fixes your problem and if it's just heat that is causing throttling.

If it is still over 100°, then the card is dead. I had the exact same thing happen to my 8800GTX. Mine was going over 100° with a totally clean heatsink. The card was slowing to a crawl in games, providing less than 25% the framerates that it should of. Eventually started getting sparkly lights and noise on the screen. Card was RMA'd.

Yes, your card is dying slowly, but surely.

Time to bake it back to life!

Back