Games minimize on launch after installing 8800GT

MrE

2[H]4U
OK, this ones strange. My neighbor's 8800GTS 320mb model started to go out (Multi color lines both in 3D as well as DOS mode) and it was determined to be a card with bad memory. She decided to upgrade to an EVGA 8800GT. Figuring it was the same graphics card driver, she let it pick up the driver only to have some nice run32.dll errors when restarting windows.

Well, I went over to look at it, used Guru3d's driver sweeper in safe mode, fresh installed Nvidia's WHQL drivers. Errors gone upon reboot and everything looks happy... well, not quite. Now if we launch a game on her machine, it launches full screen for about 1 second before it minimizes to the task bar. Every game we've tried on her machine behaves this way. Lord of the Rings Online, Heroes V, hell, Peggle too. I ran DXDiag, looks good. Checked and re-ran the DX10 setup. changes desktop resolutions but every single game launches and switches to the system tray. Selecting the game will try to go full screen again, but then 1 second later, bam, back to the desktop minimized.

Normally this is something Googling helps out on, but not this time. The only thing I can think of is that her Monitor may or may not be in play. Maybe the refresh or screen resolution is not sync'ing, but wouldn't the monitor lock up on the image instead of Vista forcing the game to minimize? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Forgot to add: she's running Vista32, and the drivers in question are the 169.25 WHQL drivers from Nvidia's site.

Guess this is a weird one. I've posted over in the Nvidia forums as well with no answer. Its got to be something glaringly obvious, but damned if I can figure it out.

Although I never seen that before, I would suggest you to take a look on the shortcut properties. Ensure that "start minimized" is not selected.

If it does not work, you may try a system restore to a date just before the problem started. Or set it to 'start maximized

Google string = games start minimized

Back