jmr

Weaksauce
I'm runnning:

P4 2.6b o/c 2.96
Abit BD7-II RAID 533MHz
1Gig Corsair PC 3200
Radeon 9700 Pro
SB Audigy

This has me perplexed. With my machine overclocked I can play games like IL2FB, WW2OL, UT2K4, and the FarCry demo for hours on end without any problems whatsoever.

But take an older game like Baldur's Gate and the damn thing keeps locking up on me. At first I thought it was related to sound so I went into dxdiag and turned down hardware acceleration and I turned off EAX within the game but that didn't stop the lockups and crashes. Thinking it might be related to my overclocking, I rebooted and set everything back to default and voila! Baldur's Gate no longer locks up on me.

Are older games more susceptible to problems when overclocking even though I can run newer and more CPU intensive games without any hitches?

are u overclocking your card or your chip. if your doing it to your card maybe it doesn't support that "new" setup and will lock up. other then that, thats my only guess. yay a response for u

Games are just sensitive to overlocking. Just because it works on nine other games, doesn't mean that that tenth game will work. There are so many things in play. Sound, graphics, networking, CPU... and every game uses it differently.

If I recall correctly, I think Baldur's Gate is sensitive to overclocking because of it's pathing routines. I had a similar problem and it would lock up after I told my party to go trudging off to the other side of the map. I know certain spells can cause things to go heywire. Without looking at the source code, I couldn't tell you why things happen like this.

Back