Gamers Nexus vs LinusTechTips: Smackdown

All of this because some skinny "nobody" at the LMG was picked as the one to give tours of the facilities, said some "controversial stuff" i.e. he specifically named others and essentially threw them under the bus as being "inferior" and someone posted a video of stuff he said online which started it all.

heir merch tends to be a bit overpriced (as is most merch, the cost of doing smaller production runs with higher quality materials)
I bought an LTT hoodie a few years ago. It was expensive, at $60 or so. But it's insulated, and much better at keeping me warm in cool weather than the cheap one I had before, and I'll note you can find plenty of equally-expensive insulated hoodies on Amazon that aren't small-run stuff tied to a youtuber or whatever. Ignoring any of their other products, because I haven't got any experience with them, the hoodie was worth it, relative to other similar ones.

I'm skeptical on the whole thing. She made a LONG list of very different kinds of workplace issues, including some "go to" stories for people trying to get attention for ulterior motives. Would be hard to believe that ALL of that hasn't come out before. But maybe LTT was just lucky. However her whole story comes apart when she says she cut her leg open to go to the ER so that she would have an excuse to take time off. If that's true, that is a sign of mental illness in direct relation to this situation she was supposedly in, which calls into question the legitimacy of all her other complaints. Any somewhat rational person would have pursued one of multiple other paths, including possibly quitting or contacting a lawyer. Especially in Canada where labor rights are at least a little stronger than the US.

People start doing weird shit under extreme stress, and some get VERY terrified to rock the boat in the slightest, or view anything and everything as some kind of personal failure that they take EXTREMELY heavily.

Best worker I ever had work under me was very difficult to navigate. Petrified they'd get fired. Always worried they weren't doing a good job. Inconsolable, and utterly impossible to convince - and almost nobody had any idea because they presented as super bright and cheerful all the time.

I don't see anything particularly unbelievable. It seems like a shit work environment, and that this person also needs legit professional help at this point - they aren't mutually exclusive things. It doesn't mean they're insane or incompetent. There is a huge stigma attached with mental health, on top - that's a scary label to a lot of people.

I watched the video and how he put emphasis on the "$500 dollars," as if it's some large chunk of money was cringe worthy. I guess if you're the average LTT viewer, there's a solid chance that $500 is a lot, so, I guess to them that would make it okay... I guess? Me personally I think $500 to QA a video that's probably going to make you $10's of thousands of dollars is chump change, especially when it's your main source of revenue.
Depend on the margin, if the title of their video how we make 17 video a week is right in 2021 LTT media group was making 17 videos a week, imagine if the company makes gross operating profit of 8 millions a year, that $9000 by video in average. In net profit after everything, $500 could be a really good proportion of them for those that are not great hits.

They are in a volume business specially for that type of video

Last edited:
Most places do chapter markers nowadays - I also like how Moore's Law is Dead has the colored lights behind him (red for AMD - green for Nvidia - blue for Intel) so you can also quickly just scroll through the video to see what color/company's topic(s) you want to see

That apology video had some good parts but as a whole seemed completely tone deaf. Just wow, how is Linus still playing victim.

Guy's success obviously went way into his head and turned him into a narcissist. Just gtfo with excuses and whining already, own your idiot mistakes and just shut it. It really isn't that hard (that is unless you have an unfettered ego)

I get why there a reflex and a use of the we are not perfect, we are human, error will still happen narrative is often used, but I feel we can have a general disclamour for institution, famous people, etc...

we never thought you were perfect and it is a bit strange that it is even a thought you have that it would have been possible we did. It is never the point, you can skip that part and assume we think you are just faille humans, specially if you are just youtubers and not Nobel winner NASA people.

So is there a reason they didn't use the correct GPU with the block when the GPU was provided by the company, then proceeded to take a huge shit on the block?

That apology video had some good parts but as a whole seemed completely tone deaf. Just wow, how is Linus still playing victim.

Guy's success obviously went way into his head and turned him into a narcissist. Just gtfo with excuses and whining already, own your idiot mistakes and just shut it. It really isn't that hard (that is unless you have an unfettered ego)

The jokes were definitely tone deaf, one or two might have been okay but they went overboard. The CEO making two sponsor jokes and the other guy using jokes to literally advertise the store and an upcoming version of a product were too much. And learning that they monetized the apology video is quickly chipping away at my charitable initial reaction.

Who even watches all these LTT videos? I might watch one video every few months, if it's a review on a new smartphone I may want, or new gaming monitor. And that's it. But does he have daily videos or something? if so I was not aware, plus don;t have time to watch all that.

And why have so much content? Isn't there a thing as too much content just to fill the airwaves? To me with that much content being pushed means he's in it purely for the money, and grfiting, and that's a scumbag used car salesman tactic.

Like how many videos need to be made about a few new smartphones or gaming monitors or new video cards every year? i could see maybe a couple dozen, maybe 30 or 40 videos for the entire year 365 days. But does he really produce a new video every day? if so, why? There's no need. I think Linus is a whiny immature little kid, that got way too big for his britches.

People start doing weird shit under extreme stress, and some get VERY terrified to rock the boat in the slightest, or view anything and everything as some kind of personal failure that they take EXTREMELY heavily.

Best worker I ever had work under me was very difficult to navigate. Petrified they'd get fired. Always worried they weren't doing a good job. Inconsolable, and utterly impossible to convince - and almost nobody had any idea because they presented as super bright and cheerful all the time.

I don't see anything particularly unbelievable. It seems like a shit work environment, and that this person also needs legit professional help at this point - they aren't mutually exclusive things. It doesn't mean they're insane or incompetent. There is a huge stigma attached with mental health, on top - that's a scary label to a lot of people.
I'm not saying she is definitely not telling the truth. What I'm saying is that there is a clear red flag that her story might have significant inaccuracies and bias and that people should not be judging LTT on the basis of what she says - only actual related evidence provided by her or others. There are just as many cases of mentally ill, whether temporary or not, people making false accusations based on their inability to accurately perceive the situation about which they are complaining as those that have legitimate complaints.

If you somewhat regularly follow the news, literally no person, even an unknown nobody, can do or say anything at all without potentially offending someone, somewhere, and an ensuing mob popping up to attack them. She may have perceived things that were not true and then re-described words and events in ways that were not how they actually happened, but rather how she perceived the intent of them.

I wish her the best if what she is saying is true, but if she is serious, she should contact a lawyer and show she is serious right now. If what she is saying is not true, if I were LTT/LMG, I would be contacting a law firm myself concerning her statements. EDIT: If what she is saying is true, they better be contacting a law firm right away in that scenario too!

If she has actual evidence, let her provide it. If she wishes to pursue legal action to obtain evidence that she believes exists but didn't get while she was still employed there, then let her take legal action and then make that evidence public through her lawyers if/when they advise it can be done so legally safely.

Here was Linus's response to LTT / LMG employee treatment accusations in the past. Maybe he was desperately hoping no would actually follow through. But he said they had not mistreated anyone and challenged people to take real action rather than relying on an anonymous internet court. The onus is now on current and former "accusers" to try to prove what they say is true. If it is even more than one person.

LinusReply.png

Now on a separate but related topic. On the basis of one factor alone, I doubt LTT / LMG has even an above-average work environment (and average is bad) relative to other "office" workplaces. On one of the WAN shows Linus and Luke were both in agreement that they should continue to NOT discuss salary expectations at the start of the recruitment process for employees. Potential employees had to demonstrate "enthusiasm" about the position regardless of the potential compensation range before LTT / LMG would consider them and begin discussing compensation.

Shows a lack of respect for the time of their potential and future employees, unless they are paying employees top dollar in the market (not just within the industry, but regardless of what industry they worked in). Which I highly doubt considering Linus, who at least was worth tens of millions, didn't want to pay $500 to remake one video in protection of their reputation. On top of that, the most talented people commanding top dollar wouldn't risk the wasted time - so they are not going to apply in the first place because they don't know it pays top dollar even if it does. So either way, they don't get the most talented people. But that is not the issue here - that only hurts themselves.

Last edited:
Yes, I saw all that, it does not mean they did not have decided that it would reimbursed them, and it was not just in the time in between a decision is made and it is all finalised and Billet Labs put in the know, a video about it can speed up the process or LMG could be lying about it, you can let your audience decide.
Seem they have track record of internal com that they did decide to reimburse the startup company August 10 before GN video, if it was not photoshopped, they would even have internal track record of them trying to find the winner to contact him it seem.

Oh my god it just keeps getting worse. The monetised apology video with a fucking plug for the store..... What the fuck

Oh man, I just looked that up.

I think this is pretty telling as to how the leadership operates over there.

Who even watches all these LTT videos? I might watch one video every few months, if it's a review on a new smartphone I may want, or new gaming monitor. And that's it. But does he have daily videos or something? if so I was not aware, plus don;t have time to watch all that.

And why have so much content? Isn't there a thing as too much content just to fill the airwaves? To me with that much content being pushed means he's in it purely for the money, and grfiting, and that's a scumbag used car salesman tactic.

Like how many videos need to be made about a few new smartphones or gaming monitors or new video cards every year? i could see maybe a couple dozen, maybe 30 or 40 videos for the entire year 365 days. But does he really produce a new video every day? if so, why? There's no need. I think Linus is a whiny immature little kid, that got way too big for his britches.
The LMG team produces 25 videos per week. 6 being LTT the rest distributed across the other LMG channels.

The full breakdown in in the original GN video at the 4:40 mark.

I'm not saying she is definitely not telling the truth. What I'm saying is that there is a clear red flag that her story might have significant inaccuracies and bias and that people should not be judging LTT on the basis of what she says - only actual related evidence provided by her or others. There are just as many cases of mentally ill, whether temporary or not, people making false accusations based on their inability to accurately perceive the situation about which they are complaining as those that have legitimate complaints.

If you somewhat regularly follow the news, literally no person, even an unknown nobody, can do or say anything at all without potentially offending someone, somewhere, and an ensuing mob popping up to attack them. She may have perceived things that were not true and then re-described words and events in ways that were not how they actually happened, but rather how she perceived the intent of them.

I wish her the best if what she is saying is true, but if she is serious, she should contact a lawyer and show she is serious right now. If what she is saying is not true, if I were LTT/LMG, I would be contacting a law firm myself concerning her statements. EDIT: If what she is saying is true, they better be contacting a law firm right away in that scenario too!

If she has actual evidence, let her provide it. If she wishes to pursue legal action to obtain evidence that she believes exists but didn't get while she was still employed there, then let her take legal action and then make that evidence public through her lawyers if/when they advise it can be done so legally safely.

Here was Linus's response to LTT / LMG employee treatment accusations in the past. Maybe he was desperately hoping no would actually follow through. But he said they had not mistreated anyone and challenged people to take real action rather than relying on an anonymous internet court. The onus is now on current and former "accusers" to try to prove what they say is true. If it is even more than one person.

View attachment 590814

Now on a separate but related topic. On the basis of one factor alone, I doubt LTT / LMG has even an above-average work environment (and average is bad) relative to other "office" workplaces. On one of the WAN shows Linus and Luke were both in agreement that they should continue to NOT discuss salary expectations at the start of the recruitment process for employees. Potential employees had to demonstrate "enthusiasm" about the position regardless of the potential compensation range before LTT / LMG would consider them and begin discussing compensation.

Shows a lack of respect for the time of their potential and future employees, unless they are paying employees top dollar in the market (not just within the industry, but regardless of what industry they worked in). Which I highly doubt considering Linus, who at least was worth tens of millions, didn't want to pay $500 to remake one video in protection of their reputation. On top of that, the most talented people commanding top dollar wouldn't risk the wasted time - so they are not going to apply in the first place because they don't know it pays top dollar even if it does. So either way, they don't get the most talented people. But that is not the issue here - that only hurts themselves.

https://www.dexerto.com/tech/ex-lin...ges-mistreatment-and-poor-conditions-2251613/

lol.

unless they are paying employees top dollar in the market (not just within the industry, but regardless of what industry they worked in). Which I highly doubt considering Linus, who at least was worth tens of millions, didn't want to pay $500 to remake one video in protection of their reputation. On top of that, the most talented people commanding top dollar wouldn't risk the wasted time
It's interesting the juxtaposition with his years-earlier video announcing their new 'labs' building since he stated near the end when seeking new talent for the project, almost verbatim, 'if you think we can't afford you, try me'.

I think that is part of the running joke with how they plug their stores
Yeah an apology video is not supposed to contain running jokes. I think we’re also getting off track a bit here with the employee’s mental health discussion. The 🔑 takeaway here is that when you can’t accept criticism in a constructive way, don’t make videos.

So, I did finally watch that video from Linus....I can't believe they thought it would be ok to monitise the video and plug in there out store....with a series video update lol.

Oh well good ole youtube drama I guess. I honestly do not see Linus changing.

Notice how they threw Nick under the bus. :ROFLMAO:
I could care less about this manufactured drama about the "jokes" in the video. But it shows they are dumb and/or not thinking clearly in their panic. The responses are once again supposedly Linus himself posting. In their own self-interest, Yvonne and Terren need to officially put the Chief Vision Officer on mandatory paid leave and revoke his access to all work-related accounts capable of public communication until that leave, as determined by them, is over.

The LMG team produces 25 videos per week. 6 being LTT the rest distributed across the other LMG channels.

The full breakdown in in the original GN video at the 4:40 mark.

25 videos a week? WTF

So well over a thousand videos a year. Jesus who the hell watches this?

And about what? There's only so many new smartphones and video cards, CPU's monitors to talk about in a year.

So is there a reason they didn't use the correct GPU with the block when the GPU was provided by the company, then proceeded to take a huge shit on the block?

I don't think they originally got a card from the company. I watched the video when it came out and they said something about the 3090 ti they were going to use was unavailable and they didn't have another one available, so they just yoloed it.

I don't think they originally got a card from the company. I watched the video when it came out and they said something about the 3090 ti they were going to use was unavailable and they didn't have another one available, so they just yoloed it.
Hmmm, maybe. Still pretty shoddy and is on the level of amazon reviewer to use equipment for the wrong application then blame the equipment.

Still pretty shoddy and is on the level of amazon reviewer to use equipment for the wrong application then blame the equipment.
Absolutely. But whether or not LTT tested (on video) with Billet Labs' GPU is fairly important.

Absolutely. But whether or not LTT tested (on video) with Billet Labs' GPU is fairly important.
Doesn't sound like it. It sounds like they modified it or just did a half assed review on a 4090 and after giving it a scathing review shelved/ auctioned it off.

I won't even entertain an interview with a potential employer unless they disclose, at minimum, a salary range for the position. I've turned down interviews because of it. I'm not wasting my time unless I know the position is within a financial range that makes it worth pursuing. Most people are switching companies not only for advancement, but also environment and financial reasons. I f'd up once and did a long interview process with a rather large medical network. 2 hour phone interview, three 6 hour long in person interviews. When they presented me with an offer it was for significantly less than I was making at the time. Insultingly low. I wished them good luck in finding someone with half the experience or qualifications they were requiring for that salary.

So, yeah, not disclosing any kind of salary range is a massive red flag. Run. RUN!

Back