GameCube and Wii Dolphin Emulator set to Launch on Steam Later This Year

Tears of the Kingdom was playable on PC before the game was officially released and so far the game has sold over 10 million copies and could be the best selling game of the year. You can't get a better worst case scenario against piracy than this.

View attachment 584958
Bet it would have sold more if not for that. Change my mind.

Tears of the Kingdom was playable on PC before the game was officially released and so far the game has sold over 10 million copies and could be the best selling game of the year. You can't get a better worst case scenario against piracy than this.

View attachment 584958
Minecraft at #12, and it was #13 before? It's still selling? Or does that game have DLC/buyable stuff that keeps people hooked?

Bet it would have sold more if not for that. Change my mind.
Piracy happens to every console and game ever sold, and it hasn't stopped anyone from buying the game. If anything it might increase game sales as people might try it and like it, and then want to own it. Witcher 3 has no piracy protection on PC and as time went on the sales of Witcher 3 was higher on PC compared to consoles. You can argue that Witcher 3 is a PC focused game because of CDPR, but the game ran just fine on consoles, including the Switch. To a lot of people, the Witcher 3 was game of the decade. Think of it like the Streisand effect, but in reverse. Of course this only works on good games, and has the opposite effect on mediocre or bad games, at which point you're right that they would have sold more games without piracy, but at that point you're trying to trick people into buying a bad product through obscurity and 9.0 reviews.

673-screen%20shot%202020-04-09%20at%209.40.45%20am.png

Piracy happens to every console and game ever sold, and it hasn't stopped anyone from buying the game. If anything it might increase game sales as people might try it and like it, and then want to own it. Witcher 3 has no piracy protection on PC and as time went on the sales of Witcher 3 was higher on PC compared to consoles. You can argue that Witcher 3 is a PC focused game because of CDPR, but the game ran just fine on consoles, including the Switch. To a lot of people, the Witcher 3 was game of the decade. Think of it like the Streisand effect, but in reverse. Of course this only works on good games, and has the opposite effect on mediocre or bad games, at which point you're right that they would have sold more games without piracy, but at that point you're trying to trick people into buying a bad product through obscurity and 9.0 reviews.

View attachment 585215
Opinion noted and being digested... :).

DukenukemX you raise a lot of good points. It's possible too that piracy isn't as widespread as it looks, or maybe some number do follow the tagline of "if you like it, buy it". I agree with most everything in your post even though I'm staunchly antipiracy.

This will get shit down so hard so fast, Nintendo won’t stand for it and Steam won’t fight Nintendo on it.

Call Nintendo all the names you want but they have the legal team to back them up and any possible benefits to Valve from offering these up won’t come close to the hurt Nintendo can bring.
Old post I know, but I don't understand why they don't accept the existence of this market and fill it. I understand there's likely some cross licensing issues, but this seems like an untapped revenue stream

Old post I know, but I don't understand why they don't accept the existence of this market and fill it. I understand there's likely some cross licensing issues, but this seems like an untapped revenue stream
They already do with the virtual consoles. Nintendo still adheres to an artificial scarcity model for marketing its products, it works though it is horribly inconvenient and much harder to do in an environment where digital downloads are a thing. But Nintendo likely sees emulation as a threat to its secondary businesses such as the Ambio, virtual consoles, and limited releases like the NES or SNES mini units, and Dolphin is likely seen as a threat to the impending N64 and Gamecube Mini launches that we all know are coming.
The Switch is not capable of emulating the Gamecube and I would not at all be surprised if the Gamecube gets added to the new Virtual console alongside the N64, for a small added fee to their annual subscription.
A lot of Nintendo's behavior on the topic likely stems from a deep-rooted fear that they will share Sega's fate, so they act a little bullish to protect their space.

✋
or they could bring back demoes for everything...
With the price of games now reaching $70, a Demo should be required. If Steam makes this a requirement for games costing $70, I could see this being a huge benefit to them.
But Nintendo likely sees emulation as a threat to its secondary businesses such as the Ambio, virtual consoles, and limited releases like the NES or SNES mini units, and Dolphin is likely seen as a threat to the impending N64 and Gamecube Mini launches that we all know are coming.
The problem with N64 and Gamecube mini's are that they're just ARM SoC's running emulators, just like what most people do on their computers. It's great that Nintendo finally sells old games that people wanted, but this is still so much more inconvenient than just downloading the rom and playing it virtually on any platform you wish.
The Switch is not capable of emulating the Gamecube and I would not at all be surprised if the Gamecube gets added to the new Virtual console alongside the N64, for a small added fee to their annual subscription.
There are Gamecube emulators on the Switch. Not official ones, and it requires your Switch to be modded.
A lot of Nintendo's behavior on the topic likely stems from a deep-rooted fear that they will share Sega's fate, so they act a little bullish to protect their space.
Sega isn't dead, just their consoles. They did make games like Persona and Yakuza. Nintendo's biggest fear is to not lose their IP. I think the very lawsuit they had before Mario was created was to protect their IP from Disney because of how Donkey Kong was like King Kong. Their layer's name was Mario and history was created.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_City_Studios,_Inc._v._Nintendo_Co.,_Ltd.

Back