Gamecube and Samsung 710T

Rabid Yellow Dog

Limp Gawd
I want to connect my GC to my Samsung 710T (17 inch 12 ms). It only has VGA and DVI inputs so I have to use a converter. Does anyone have experience with a Component to VGA or DVI converter? Lik-Sang has this which looks good but some of the reviews say that it won't work with non-progressive scan games. I don't care whether the GC input is overlayed over the computer's or I have to hit the "source" button, I just really don't want to spend over $50. (When I got my GC I bought a Redant S-Video to VGA box, which works, but it looks terrible and it switches the audio channels. I really want to replace it.) Thanks in advance.

This is what I need: Component Video to VGA converter that can do interlaced and progressive scan. I don't understand why all this stuff has to be so hard. :mad: Help....me.....

edit: Like this, but cheaper.

But then he'll be limited to 320x240 streched, no? Maybe an HD PC tuner?

All the pci tv tuners listed on newegg have composite and s-video inputs. Would the s-video on the tv tuner look any better than the s-video -> vga box that i have now? Spending the money for an HD tuner is ok as I was about getting one. Are there any with Component in?

if you have one of the older GC's with the analog a/v out AND the digital a/v out. You can look around online and get a digital cable for your gc that's a dvi connection. One end goes in the digital a/v out of the GC, and the other end is a dvi connection, goes right into your monitor, bam, your all set :)

Makave7i Tha Don said:
if you have one of the older GC's with the analog a/v out AND the digital a/v out. You can look around online and get a digital cable for your gc that's a dvi connection. One end goes in the digital a/v out of the GC, and the other end is a dvi connection, goes right into your monitor, bam, your all set :)
if it were only that simple...

LikSang said:
I'm interested in buying this cable so I can connect a VGA-monitor or TFT LCD to my Gamecube, but what sort of connector is it? D-Sub, DVI or something else? Can somebody enlighten me here please? :)

[admin: This is NOT to connect the Cube to VGA, it is for use with equipment that have Japanese D-Input Terminals]

Makave7i Tha Don said:
the new ones dont have the digital out?

that sucks!

oh damn, that sucks man. I just assujmed it was dvi, or least vga. Well that's why i bought the component one for the gc, to connect to my hdtv and get progressive scan :)

Rabid Yellow Dog said:
All the pci tv tuners listed on newegg have composite and s-video inputs. Would the s-video on the tv tuner look any better than the s-video -> vga box that i have now? Spending the money for an HD tuner is ok as I was about getting one. Are there any with Component in?

the hdtv tuners out there do not have hd capture. in order to get a board capable of hd capture, you have to spend alot of money (at least $2000). look to canopus' website and you'll see what i mean

dualblade said:
the hdtv tuners out there do not have hd capture. in order to get a board capable of hd capture, you have to spend alot of money (at least $2000). look to canopus' website and you'll see what i mean

wait but that isnt true, i just read about some card recently that'll do hd capture and its only like 150 bucks i wish i could find it again but i was just googling around so anyone should be able to find it

subrandom said:
wait but that isnt true, i just read about some card recently that'll do hd capture and its only like 150 bucks i wish i could find it again but i was just googling around so anyone should be able to find it
ATI HDTV wonder maybe?

lithium726 said:
ATI HDTV wonder maybe?

no it wasnt that one because apparently it has some problem with some spacific standard or something (sorry i dont know more about HD, havent been able to afford it so dont know a whole lot) but yeah there are certainly cards out there that can record hd content for well under 1000

a viewsonic n6 will do the trick. but it may be more expensive than what you want. it's $170.

you could look into a vdigi vd-z3

aren't vga and component basically the same idea? (red, green, and blue each on a differnt wire for maximum picture quality) if so, why is it so hard to convert one to the other, and why have different standards in the first place?

i found this site and it looks like capture cards with component inputs are rare and expensive (>$500)

does somebody have a screenshot of what a console looks like hooked up through the s-video port on a tv tuner card or capture card? this seems like the best solution; i just don't want to buy anything without knowing it will be better than what i have already.

Rabid Yellow Dog said:
aren't vga and component basically the same idea? (red, green, and blue each on a differnt wire for maximum picture quality) if so, why is it so hard to convert one to the other, and why have different standards in the first place?

i found this site and it looks like capture cards with component inputs are rare and expensive (>$500)

does somebody have a screenshot of what a console looks like hooked up through the s-video port on a tv tuner card or capture card? this seems like the best solution; i just don't want to buy anything without knowing it will be better than what i have already.
Dude you need this..you can thank me later:
http://www2.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16815116003
This is wayyyy better than using a TV tuner. Picture is flawless. I have used a ATI VE and Winfast deluxe TV Tuner and nothing comes this close. Heck it is identical to my 27" WEGA

Arkanian said:
Dude you need this..you can thank me later:
http://www2.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16815116003
This is wayyyy better than using a TV tuner. Picture is flawless. I have used a ATI VE and Winfast deluxe TV Tuner and nothing comes this close. Heck it is identical to my 27" WEGA
but...but...$180!??!?! I understand that it is better (when its that expensive it better be better), but playing my GC is the only reason I need a product like this. I was intending to get an HDTV tuner anyway, and if the s-video quality is good through that, that is what I'll be doing. If you bought me the viewsonice thingamajigger, I would be thanking you later. :)

Can anybody recommend a good HDTV tuner?

Back