Game Gliches and OCing...

|MaguS|

[H]ard|Gawd
Are some games more "unstable" when OCing is envolved? I am able to stably put my 6800GT at 420/1.1 and run 3DMark03, NFS:U, PainKiller, CS, SC:pT and acouple other games just fine but if I load up FarCry or a certain MMORPG Beta the graphics go crazy after acouple of mins of play.

Are some games just more touchy on OCing? Could my Card be bad or is it a driver issue? If I lower the clock on the core to 415 FarCry is ok but the beta still has issues (could be a game issue but I never saw it on my 9800pro).

Considering John Carmack just warned about this very thing in Doom 3, I would have to say yes.

To expand on that, I would say certain games use specific features of your GPU to differing extents. It's possible that some games would push it over the stability threshold in those areas while others won't.

Edit: here is the exact quote from JC:

"A note on overclocking: it is very likely that overclocked configurations that "play everything else perfectly" will start to show problems on D3 due to new usage patterns. Everyone is of course free to do whatever they want with their own hardware, but don't complain to us..."

Well so far its only FarCry, I tested the Beta at stock rates and it still gave me issues so im considering it a game issue unless my card is a dud.

Back