Game for Gold, and other exclusive discounts, coming to Xbox One

Jerome36

2[H]4U
Microsoft is bringing a bunch of changes to the Xbox, starting June 9th. That includes an Xbox One, without the Kinect, for $399. Popular apps, like NetFlix, Hulu and HBO Go, will no longer require an Xbox Gold account. Another feature:

Exclusive Discounts. Deals with Gold will also launch for Xbox One in June, delivering discounts for great games each month, with significant savings for Xbox Live Gold members. The first titles offered in June will include “Forza Motorsport 5,” “Ryse: Son of Rome,” and a few other surprises. In the coming months, we will offer significant savings of up to 50 – 75 percent off certain titles. This program will continue to be available for Xbox Live Gold members on Xbox 360. And new on Xbox One, we will launch a virtual VIP room exclusive to Xbox Live Gold members where we will feature free games, monthly deals, and other great benefits.

I recall a news article a while back about them offering the digital download version of Ryse for like $20, to test how well "flash sales" would go. A lot of people poked fun at the fact they needed to test dropping the price of a game, to see how it sells. I never paid attention to when the price did go down, but if they executed it, I'm guessing they liked the results.

The first two "Games for Gold" titles were just tweeted by Major Nelson:

Max: The Curse of Brotherhood

Halo: Spartan Assault

I thought they already had free games for XBox Live customers? Or that must have just been for 360 users?

I thought they already had free games for XBox Live customers? Or that must have just been for 360 users?

Was only for 360, but I find it silly that they are giving away games away that really aren't that old...

Wonder if they'll have some sort of expandable storage to support all these games they want us to download.

Wonder if they'll have some sort of expandable storage to support all these games they want us to download.

Well, the ability to install games on an external hard drive is coming via a system update.

Well, the ability to install games on an external hard drive is coming via a system update.

What they really need to do is add iSCSI or NFS support so I don't have something hanging off the system though.

Important note that the games are your to keep no matter what on 360

But like ps+ the Xbox one free games will require a current gold sub.

Which means Xbox one game with gold selection should be pretty good

Back