Galaxy Nexus; Want to go back to iPhone.

Mr. Stryker

Supreme [H]ardness
I had the original iPhone 4 from AT&T since the day of launch on June 24, 2010. Up until the last week of December a friend hyped me up to get the Galaxy Nexus. Bad mistake.

The phone is nice, but it's meh to me and yes the 4.0 ICS is awesome coming from the original DROID a few years back but I guess I've grown too fond of the slickness and the ease of use with the iOS.

I find myself playing with the iPhone 4 a lot more than I do on the GN; sure, the notification LEDs are awesome and if you used Light Flow app, you can change colors for certain apps like green light for e-mails, blue light for SMS, etc. But that's so what for me.

Needless to say, I paid for the ETF (about $147?) for AT&T so that I could switch to the Verizon for the Galaxy Nexus. If I wanted to go back to my iPhone (I still kept mine) I'd have to pay $300 or even more to stop Verizon's service. I don't want to pay that crazy amount of ETF. I even rooted, kept it up to date with the milestones (aokp.co, M5) and indeed the updates keeps the phone running smooth. Too spoiled by iOS, I guess. And no, I'm not an Apple fanboy. it's the only Apple product I've ever owned.

So friends, if there's another way to get around to going back on AT&T without paying for Verizon's insane ETF, I'd like to hear it.

Doesnt Verizon have an Iphone?

No need to go back to AT&T for an iPhone

I would sell the iPhone you have (they have good resale value) and buy a verizon iPhone outright and you will come out spending less

EDIT: then sell the Gnex to make money!

Doesnt Verizon have an Iphone?

No need to go back to AT&T for an iPhone

He'd have to buy an iPhone out of contract, Verizon is CDMA and his iPhone is GSM. The op should stay away from cell phone contracts in the future.

How long ago did you leave att? I think you have 90 days to jump back into your contact. Your galaxy nexus sale should be more than enough to cover your etf unless you're in you've just finished your first month.

Or you could sell both phones and get an iphone 4 on verizon (used) and still have some money left over.

How long ago did you leave att? I think you have 90 days to jump back into your contact. Your galaxy nexus sale should be more than enough to cover your etf unless you're in you've just finished your first month.

Or you could sell both phones and get an iphone 4 on verizon (used) and still have some money left over.

That'd be in January when I cut it off. And that's over 3 months. And I'd want AT&T since their version of the iPhone 4S has the "3.5G" where you get faster 3G speeds. And I do a lot of video conferencing.

That's exactly when I stopped taking you seriously.

Sorry you feel that way. It's an opinion.

Last edited:
Well in that case you can sell the gnex to cover the ETF on verizon and open another contract with AT&T and get a 4s then sell your 4 to pay for the 4s

Well in that case you can sell the gnex to cover the ETF on verizon and open another contract with AT&T and get a 4s then sell your 4 to pay for the 4s

Why not just sell/trade the AT&T iPhone toward a Verizon one? The GSM version is probably worth more anyways so it should cover it (if you get a used Verizon iPhone). I would do that unless service was better with AT&T.

Why not just sell/trade the AT&T iPhone toward a Verizon one? The GSM version is probably worth more anyways so it should cover it (if you get a used Verizon iPhone). I would do that unless service was better with AT&T.

I didnt know you could do that... I have never had anyone other than at&t, so i was just stating the best way in my mind on how to get back and still make money out of the deal.

I think why he is compelled to go back to AT&T is the iphone 4s has hspa+. BUT I am unsure if the verizon one has LTE (more than likely not i would think)

None of the iPhone 4's have LTE (nor 4G alone) and a lot of people misunderstand this. They're like, "But it's called an iPhone 4! How can it not have 4G?! The iPhone 3G had... 3G! Duh!".

But yes, you're correct, the AT&T version has HSPA+, which is sort of like "3G LTE".

I'm going to tell you something you don't want to hear... but will benefit you in the long run.

Stop thinking about jumping back and forth between carriers right now. Suck it up and live with your decision that you seemingly didn't research.

The best thing I think you could do? Hold onto your phone with verizon until the iphone 5 hits in October? Yes, it's 5 months away but think about it this way:

When the new iphone comes out later this year, you won't come make another thread saying "i just switched back to AT&T after paying two early termination fees and losing money on two phones, how do I get the new iphone cheap to replace my new new iphone4s that I've only had for 5 months".

If money is no object then you can flip flop back and forth without any problem, but I get the sense that money IS an object... just like for the rest of us here. After 5 months, your ETF fee will be less, you would be getting the absolute latest phone on contract price and you will still be able to sell your old iphone and old galaxy nexus to recoup all of the costs.

Think about it this way -- do you really want to pay a few hundred dollars for something you KNOW is going to be old news here in 5 months?

^^^^

That makes the most sense to me as well. Might as well wait for the new iphone to drop if you prefer ios.

Wait for icrap5, cancel verizon, get new icrap5 on att, then sell Gnex.

Between now and then you need to sell that icrap4shit you have to help cover the new icrap5 youll get in october or whatever. Selling Gnex will cover ETF and then some by then prolly.

Great solution

yup -- sell the iphone4 you have in your hands ASAP.

I realize these things hold value quite well - but the only direction the price of iphone4 is going to is down the closer you get to October.

You are actually in a unique position - you have a 5 month jump on the market sale price drop that's going to be coming down the pipe. Take advantage of it. Stick the money in the bank or under your mattress.

I had the original iPhone 4 from AT&T since the day of launch on June 24, 2010. Up until the last week of December a friend hyped me up to get the Galaxy Nexus. Bad mistake.

The phone is nice, but it's meh to me and yes the 4.0 ICS is awesome coming from the original DROID a few years back but I guess I've grown too fond of the slickness and the ease of use with the iOS.

I find myself playing with the iPhone 4 a lot more than I do on the GN; sure, the notification LEDs are awesome and if you used Light Flow app, you can change colors for certain apps like green light for e-mails, blue light for SMS, etc. But that's so what for me.

Needless to say, I paid for the ETF (about $147?) for AT&T so that I could switch to the Verizon for the Galaxy Nexus. If I wanted to go back to my iPhone (I still kept mine) I'd have to pay $300 or even more to stop Verizon's service. I don't want to pay that crazy amount of ETF. I even rooted, kept it up to date with the milestones (aokp.co, M5) and indeed the updates keeps the phone running smooth. Too spoiled by iOS, I guess. And no, I'm not an Apple fanboy. it's the only Apple product I've ever owned.

So friends, if there's another way to get around to going back on AT&T without paying for Verizon's insane ETF, I'd like to hear it.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1404988
Install this rom, and call it a day for a few weeks. You can updated more often if you want but its not necessary. Also install francos kernel if you want, i find its faster and has better battery. I find AOKP to be laggy compared to this rom. This ones simple to use and there's a lot more emphasis on smoothness and ease of use.

Okay, what collegeboy69us said makes a good point, but I have this OCD and it's what makes me impulsive with things like that.

The thing is, I don't want to be on a contract. For someone like me, who also has ADD, cannot stick to something for a long time (except for the iPhone 4 that I kept for 1.5 years, which is a record for me) before switching to a different phone.

I'm a tech freak and love to have a "taste" of the new stuff, honestly I'd love to play with the HTC One X but the problem? AT&T contract. 2 years. Too long. Wish it was like European carriers, with 1 year contracts.

What I was thinking of is to sell the GNex RIGHT now, use that money to pay the ETF and go back to the iPhone, use www.straighttalksim.com until the iPhone 5 comes out, go back on the contract if I have to. I wish I had the attitude like other people where they can stick with what's "good enough" and stop complaining about it, but I have this severe case of OCD and ADD that keeps poking me in the back of my head, with the voices on my shoulders telling me evil things. However that's slowly fading away. I used to swap CPUs, motherboards, and video cards every 2-4 months but now I've stopped doing that. My current setup has been the same since I built it in December, and my i7 920 system before that lasted 2 years without an update (except for adding more RAM).

As of phones, I'm still weak. For the ICS OS, I think it's early in the scene and I should've stayed with my iPhone until the contract was over on June 24.

Do you have the double data promo with verizon? If so it may be worth it just to put your line on hold for the 5 months and sell your gnexus. You can use your att version until then. Then reactivate verizon for the next iphone.

Also I'll buy your gnexus :D ocd ocd

Yes I do have the 4GB data with Verizon. However, I haven't even used up more than 1GB per month. :|

The nexus is so overrated for the average user, this doesn't surprise me one bit.

hmm well we are all OCD about some things. If you pop boners over a new phone every 6 months, there isn't anything wrong with it per say, you just have zero room to complain about paying hundreds in ETF fees and the depreciation on phones. Like any other hobby you gotta pay to play and with everything you've said it sounds to me that if you are dead set on switching phones every 6 months to a year, the main thing you have to stop doing is signing contracts. Yes, you are going to pay a LOT more up front for the phones here in the US, but it will more than likely save you money in the long run. If you are getting dinged for 250-300 dollar termination fees every year, then it just makes no sense.

What was said earlier about the ROM's on the Gnex is pretty spot on. I use BAMF Rom 1.25 with Franco's Kernel and that's satisfied my "ocd" tendency for flashing roms and endless experimenting. I'm generally a power user and the Galaxy nexus is the first phone that's been able to keep up with me in terms of responsiveness and snappiness. When I want it to do something it does it right then and there :) no waiting, or delays. (i know lagginess has been a general problem with droids of the past)

As of phones, I'm still weak. For the ICS OS, I think it's early in the scene and I should've stayed with my iPhone until the contract was over on June 24.

This is exactly why you should take a step back and wait now. You wish you'd waited then, didn't and paid. You're going to do the same thing in 5 months with the next big phone. If you're cool with that, then go for it. Otherwise welcome to having no self control and less money.

Yes I do have the 4GB data with Verizon. However, I haven't even used up more than 1GB per month. :|

With the right combination of device/app/functionality you may find yourself wanting to stream more/use more data. It's still a good cushion to have. I went from never streaming anything on Sprint because their 3G was so shitty to wanting to do it quite often on AT&T now that I have HSPA+/LTE/larger screen. My advice, put out a craigslist advert saying you want a Verizon iPhone with a clean ESN, you have a galaxy nexus and an AT&T iPhone and that you are up for some kind of trade with cash involved. Keep it open and leave it up, odds are you'll get some kind of bite and you might must end up staying with Verizon AND going back to an iPhone with no money out of your pocket (likely some coming back). Then maybe the new iPhone5 hits with LTE and bam you are on a great network with exactly the phone you want in only 5 months. Don't be hasty, you've already learned that lesson.

1. How can something be both 'meh' and 'nice'?
2. If iOS having ease of use is one of your main points, what about ICS do you find difficult?
3. If you're a must taste new tech person, why didn't you just buy the GSM Galaxy Nexus and stay on ATT?

My browsing & streaming habits had not changed one bit when I got this LTE phone. And I don't care for Verizon that much... Straight Talk has what I need; $45 for no bullshit. Unlimited text is what I'm after, and unlimited data is always nice for checking forums but I never watch streaming on the phone unless I wanted to show a friend a really, really stupid video. But you do have good suggestions OldPueblo.

I said that the phone itself (hardware) was meh and the OS was nice, but it seems that I'm too attached to the iOS. I didn't say that ICS was difficult, just that I'm not used to it and it has a long way to go, I'm going to wait until it's more mature rather than getting as soon as it's released. And like I mentioned in the post #17, the "must taste new tech" guy inside me had been slowly fading away, now that I know what ICS is like, I'm not missing out a lot. And I just have a lot better experience with the iPhone, it "just works". You do have a point, I should've gotten the GSM GNex, but I didn't feel like putting down $700 for a phone during that time.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, I text 90% of the time. The screen is too big and I make so many typos. With the iPhone I was able to type with just 1 hand and the autocorrecting program on it was a lot better than on ICS. Doesn't feel right at home.

Last edited:
Have you tried Swype? I have some friends with iPhones who use Swype on my phone and they find it easier and faster. Give it a shot since you text so much.

Actually... fuck it. OldPueblo hit the spot. I'm going to keep this fucking phone and sell the iPhone. Verizon's network is irresistible. End of thread and thanks to other posters who were telling me to keep the gnex.

My browsing & streaming habits had not changed one bit when I got this LTE phone. And I don't care for Verizon that much... Straight Talk has what I need; $45 for no bullshit. Unlimited text is what I'm after, and unlimited data is always nice for checking forums but I never watch streaming on the phone unless I wanted to show a friend a really, really stupid video. But you do have good suggestions OldPueblo.

I said that the phone itself (hardware) was meh and the OS was nice, but it seems that I'm too attached to the iOS. I didn't say that ICS was difficult, just that I'm not used to it and it has a long way to go, I'm going to wait until it's more mature rather than getting as soon as it's released. And like I mentioned in the post #17, the "must taste new tech" guy inside me had been slowly fading away, now that I know what ICS is like, I'm not missing out a lot. And I just have a lot better experience with the iPhone, it "just works". You do have a point, I should've gotten the GSM GNex, but I didn't feel like putting down $700 for a phone during that time.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, I text 90% of the time. The screen is too big and I make so many typos. With the iPhone I was able to type with just 1 hand and the autocorrecting program on it was a lot better than on ICS. Doesn't feel right at home.

Where does ICS have a long way to go?

You say a lot of things, but don't actually give any specific points. I guess I'm not really expecting you to do so at this point, because if you had anything real to say you would have already said it. Typical :p

Edit: Swiftkey X is a great keyboard if you haven't already tried it. Swype is cool, but Swiftkey X predicts the next word you're going to type letting you type faster.

Back