Galax announces a single slot 4060TI

Tpp by mm of 15, single slot, 16GB of vram, 4060TI is about to get banned to be sold in China.

How long has it been since we've seen a single-slot GPU?

early 2022 maybe, AMD Radeon RX 6400 maybe for non pro GPU ?

3813-front.jpg

Saw this yesterday but passed on posting because it won't be sold outside of china. Maybe another brand does their own version, the form factor is perfect. Throw seven on a 7-slot x16 motherboard (WRX80, WRX90, W790 etc).

Last edited:
IMHO, the only thing stopping me from putting a 4060ti in my stepsons rig, is the 8x PCIe.

I have no doubt 8x is sufficient at Gen4 as designed, but his system is still on a B350 board.

It is a B350 board with a 5800x3d, but it is still a B350 board, so that means Gen3...

..and Im just not comfortable with 8x Gen3 on a new GPU in 2023.

When they designed these with 8x PCIe they completely ignored the "upgrade market". Not everyone builds a new from scratch system every time they buy a GPU. In fact I hope most don't.

Last edited:
I like.

But the noise will be close to an aircraft carrier flight deck.

I've had several single slot GPU's over the last decade...

...but that was with water blocks :p

My last two GPU's haven't been single slot even with water blocks.

IMHO, the only thing stopping me from putting a 4060ti in my stepsons rig, is the 8x PCIe.

I have no doubt 8x is sufficient at Gen4 as designed, but his system is still on a B350 board.

It is a B350 board with a 5800x3d, but it is still a B350 board, so that means Gen3...

When they designed these with 8x PCIe they completely ignored the "upgrade market". Not everyone builds a new from scratch system every time they buy a GPU. In fact I hope most don't.
Incorrect. Even a 4090 loses only a couple of percent at x8 pcie4, equivalent to x16 3.0 speeds. A 4060ti on x8 3.0 won't lose anything appreciable.

Reactions: DPI
like this
Incorrect. Even a 4090 loses only a couple of percent at x8 pcie4, equivalent to x16 3.0 speeds. A 4060ti on x8 3.0 won't lose anything appreciable.

That's not what I recall the evidence showing back when AMD did the same thing last year.

Will have to google for that though, as I can't remember.

But from what I recall, the concern is not necessarily the steady framerate. That only suffers by single digits (I recall something like 3fps going from 16x to 8x, and another 3fps going from 8x to 4x)

It's other stuff that is more concerning. Stutter, load times, reliability etc.

Last edited:
showing back when AMD did the same thing last year. .. Stutter
And we could imagine cache making some difference and making it a bit of a arch gen by arch-gen affair and maybe games as well.

Hardware unboxed did try:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfkJVio8gXo

Saw difference in some very high fps case going from pci 4.0 to 3.0 with the 4060ti because of the x8. At speed that matter it is less obvious but they saw some that are more than run to run could be luck difference, 138 to 117 fps in Marvel Spider-Man 1080p for example, 55 to 50 1% min for Hogwarts Legacy...

Nothing really big outside 240-360fps e-sport scenario, but still some performance left on the table.

Last edited:
ikr? When I think about this one the ol' 7900GT comes to mind.

Yeah, but the 7900GT had a 48W TDP.

A 4060ti has a 160w TDP.

Now fans and heatsinks have become a bit better since back then, but the laws of phsyics are eventually going to step in and limit how much heat you can dissipate with a less than 18mm wide heatsink.

And we are talking about 3.33x the heat output.

And we could imagine cache making some difference and making it a bit of a arch gen by arch-gen affair and maybe games as well.

Hardware unboxed did try:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfkJVio8gXo

Saw difference in some very high fps case going from pci 4.0 to 3.0 with the 4060ti because of the x8. At speed that matter it is less obvious but they saw some that are more than run to run could be luck difference, 138 to 117 fps in Marvel Spider-Man 1080p for example, 55 to 50 1% min for Hogwarts Legacy...

Nothing really big outside 240-360fps e-sport scenario, but still some performance left on the table.

Yeah the step down in PCIe speeds hurts but the lack of support for ReBAR on PCIe3 hurts more.
ReBAR is an optional part of the PCIe3 spec made worse by some AIBs who have “enabled” the toggle in the BIOS but it doesn’t actually connect to anything.

All I know for certain is the current way things are is bringing back 1080p monitors and the options out there are improving for them.

Aside from slapping a waterblock on another card, this could be the strongest sigle slot card on the market right?

RTX A4000 would be close depending what you do, 6144 core of GA104 like a 3070TI with 448 gb/s of bandwith, TPU as them tie.

Remember the days when a single 60mm fan and like 80g in aluminium could cool a CPU.
Pfft. Youngsters. I remember when you didn't even need a fan or a heatsink to cool your CPU!

This is a real problem with modern technology though, and shows that lack of low-level innovation for performance. The only thing that really is going on lately is throwing more electricity at the problem, the innovation comes from the processors being able to handle higher electrical throughput and heat waste without burning up.

Interesting you say that.

My PC right now is as sig goes.
5600x on x370, 64gb ram, nvme, and 4070... I'm not seeing any issues whatsoever at 1440p. I'm wondering perhaps most of concerns are more overblown for majority? Notwithstanding your use case but an interesting observation. Am I missing out on something in my PC rig and it's potentials? I don't know... I've been very happy.

probably the last time a 128bit memory bus was considered acceptable on a gaming gpu. 7600GT anyone?
Don't forget about the GTX 960 as well...

That said - that's fucking dope. Despite the 4060 Ti being kinda shit, I want one!

The only thing that really is going on lately is throwing more electricity at the problem, the innovation comes from the processors being able to handle higher electrical throughput and heat waste without burning up.
I think the fact they push a lot of power way past the point of dimishing return can give that impression on desktop (less so on laptop or steam type portable tablet, where the envelope could have stayed more similar and we can see how much perf per watt increased more directly)

A 7950x in 65 watt eco mode will be more performant than a 5950x running normally, showing that the performance difference is way more than going to a 200watt target:

11_Eco_Cinebench_R23_nT.png

The next 135 watt contain way less performance than the first 65 watt. Going at a 5950x standard level of 105 watt and you already have 90% of the cpu perf.

Last edited:
Why do you want a graphics card that you think is kind of shit?
Well they are all kinda shit right now, they either under perform or are over priced. The 4060TI in the right circumstances is at least a solid performer*

*At 1080p in a system with an appropriate CPU, capable of ReBAR and PCIe4, GForce Compatible display recommended.

At least a single slot blower design give you some interesting case options.

Back