Gainward Bundled Arx Fatalis

zandor

Supreme [H]ardness
I got a copy of Arx Fatalis bundled with a Gainward 5900nu, but I can't get the damned thing to run. Maybe thier support guy will email me back, but if they do it'll probably take days, and I can't create an account on thier discussion forum.

At any rate, the game just hangs when I try to start it up, and I end up having to kill arx.exe from task manager. The game doesn't even show up. I just get a wait cursor and then back to the desktop like it's not even running.

I noticed a couple of posts in thier forum indicating that there are some problems w/ the copies bundled w/ Gainward cards. Something about fucked up copy protection not working right (as usual...) Anyone else having a problem with this? Solved it?

So far I've tried turning off all my extra screens (so using just 1), using the video drivers from the CD that came w/ the card (eww...), and running with sound disabled. Patching or not patching the game makes almost no difference. The unpatched game flashes the "wait for CD" cursor, then hangs. After installing the latest (1.17) patch it flashes an hourglass cursor, then hangs.

Ok, the demo version doesn't work either so I guess it's not my CD. I suppose that Gainward bundle issue could still bite me in the ass, but I'll stick w/ one problem at a time.

Back