GA-Z68XP-UD3 SSD vs SATA3 Port

GreatestOne

Limp Gawd
So I'm building my new rig, about to plug in my Crucial SSD ( CT128M4SSD2 m4 128GB, 6Gb/s ) when I saw THREE options for this connection, gezuz. This GB mb has TWO different 6Gb/s SATA3 ports (one pair thats labeled 0,1 and part of the the SATA2 group, and another pair labeled 7,8 that separate), AND it has this SSD onboard connector that supposedly 3Gb/s... so now I am totally confused at why would they have a seemingly cool SSD connector when it is slower than if I just used the SATA3 connector? What is the advantage of this special SSD connector onboard?

Thanks guys in advance s always.

I'm going to be doing the exact same build within the next few days, Motherboard Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P and I'm also going to being using a Crucial 128GB M4 SATA-6 SSD - with Windows 7 - 64 bit
I also bought 2 X 4GB =8GB Dual Channel Ram 1600Mbps i5 - 2500k Intel Processor - I'm going to overclock it a little, maybe 4000

On page 25 in the Gigabyte Users Manual - it shows SATA3_1 and SATA3_0 at the top of the page - with the number 7)

This is where I was going to connect my SSD using one of these.

SATA3_1 OR SATA3_0

I hope I'm right on this, see link below

http://stuff.led-guy.com/SATA-6-900.jpg

Last edited:
Well Duron said use 0 so I'll use 0, this doesnt seem to be his first rodeo... and I see the manual but I am still wondering why would u ever use the onboard SSD connections, what is that for.

And did you read my last new build post??? I am also using the i5 2500K, hopefully oc to 4.0... My other components are the GSkill Sniper 2x4GB, 560Ti, storage with WD Black 1TB. Seems like we are on the right track.

You want 0/1 as those run off the Intel controller. The other 6GBs ports are Marvell. Intel usually has a little better performance however some boards, Gigabyte has released updated BIOS that supposedly improves Marvell performance.
Also, make sure the Crucial has the latest firmware 309 or newer

Well Duron said use 0 so I'll use 0, this doesnt seem to be his first rodeo... and I see the manual but I am still wondering why would u ever use the onboard SSD connections, what is that for.

And did you read my last new build post??? I am also using the i5 2500K, hopefully oc to 4.0... My other components are the GSkill Sniper 2x4GB, 560Ti, storage with WD Black 1TB. Seems like we are on the right track.

I'm going to over clock too, only to 4.0, no more than this.I want to keep it stable, I'm also going to try to get by with a 500 watt power supply

I'm still not sure exactly where I plug the SSD into, my motherboard has 2 black SATA then 1 white SATA-6 then 1 gray SATA-6

I'm guessing the white is Intel and the gray is the Marvell and both black are SATA-3

Ya, no point in going much more over 4.0 unless u really need the extra frame rates or you are approaching 5.0 or something. Not sure about your 500W PSU unless it is a beast or you are only running the SSD, low power GPU and one optical drive and nothing else. I'm using an XFX Black Edition 750W... rather have a little spare than be short for 1 second.

The gray is the Marvell on mine, the others are all bunched together anyways for SATA2/3 so it makes it obvious.

Look on the motherboard. All the ports have labels next to them. You have the manual page. Look, compare, find and plug in. The next page in the manual should have the Marvell ports on it.

Look on the motherboard. All the ports have labels next to them. You have the manual page. Look, compare, find and plug in. The next page in the manual should have the Marvell ports on it.

You are right on, thanks:)

Ya, no point in going much more over 4.0 unless u really need the extra frame rates or you are approaching 5.0 or something. Not sure about your 500W PSU unless it is a beast or you are only running the SSD, low power GPU and one optical drive and nothing else. I'm using an XFX Black Edition 750W... rather have a little spare than be short for 1 second.

The gray is the Marvell on mine, the others are all bunched together anyways for SATA2/3 so it makes it obvious.[/QUOTE]

I'm using a 512mb video card fanless, nothing fancy. The i5 2500k I think only uses 95watts, much lower than the AMD. I'm not really sure about the 500w P.S. either, I'm not using a high powered video card or cards

One 1TB hard drive, 2 -120mm fans and 1 - 140mm fan on top The air should really move thru this thing big time, like a wind tunnel - it has a top 140mm exhaust fan

my case, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reS9vKxDNgQ

I have only built about 4 computers,about every 3 years or so, I'll be upgrading to Windows 7 64bit w/ a SSD things have really moved along in the last 3 to 4 years I still like XP, but I think its time to move on to Windows 7 64 bit

Last edited:
Actually JUST finished mine... posted fine on second click (first time forgot to plug in power cord, ahem...), now waiting for my Win 7... I have been fighting the XP-7 thing for a while, but it is inevitable.

New-Rig%20-%20FEB%202012.jpg

Makes me wanna build one every 6 months, LOL... but my wallet tells me something different... :mad:

I hear that:) I bought the same CPU cooler fan you got too.
our prices paid are very close too. The things we bought that were the same, was SSD,motherboard,ram,CPU cooling fan,case, most everything from Micro Center, not case, that was Newegg $74.00.

It will be interesting to see if a 500 watt power supply will run it, I think it will

I bought the smaller Lian Li Lian-Li Midi Computer Case - Model Lian Li PC-A05FN ,so it will fit it in a desk

I had to buy one of these, I thought this was a really cool thing to have. $20
http://www.storagereview.com/icy_dock_ezfit_pro_dual_hddssd_25quot_35quot_adapter_announced

One other thing I just had to have was that big ass 140mm exhaust fan that will go on top , it will make it into a hovercraft I got a 120mm in the front and 120mm in the back and a 140mm on top. Got any ideas on this?
top blow in ? front and back suck out ? How are your case fans setup?

Mine will have the Plain Jane look, but it will have muscle like yours, you did a good job

Last edited:
I hear that:) I bought the same CPU cooler fan you got too.
our prices paid are very close too. The things we bought that were the same, was SSD,motherboard,ram,CPU cooling fan,case, most everything from Micro Center, not case, that was Newegg $74.00.

It will be interesting to see if a 500 watt power supply will run it, I think it will

I bought the smaller Lian Li Lian-Li Midi Computer Case - Model Lian Li PC-A05FN ,so it will fit it in a desk

I had to buy one of these, I thought this was a really cool thing to have. $20
http://www.storagereview.com/icy_dock_ezfit_pro_dual_hddssd_25quot_35quot_adapter_announced

One other thing I just had to have was that big ass 140mm exhaust fan that will go on top , it will make it into a hovercraft I got a 120mm in the front and 120mm in the back and a 140mm on top. Got any ideas on this?
top blow in ? front and back suck out ? How are your case fans setup?

Mine will have the Plain Jane look, but it will have muscle like yours, you did a good job

Thanks! My cord management isnt the most aesthetic but you know what happens every time I spend like 10 minutes on beautifying my cords? I FORGET some mundane little detail (like a zero or something, LMAO) so I have to undo all the ^%^@# cords and do it all over again... so nowadays I just make it more functional than beautiful, got all the cords out of the way of the fans and I'll beautify it after I do all live testing.

Cool little SSD bracket, but I just put mine on top of my WD HD... I guess I may not like the vibration from that SATA drive to the SSD, but we'll see.

So I think the video card is the determining factor for your PSU, what r u using? (sorry if i missed it)

The standard setup for fans is air in from the front bottom, and exit out the top back... from my days of studying engineering, my instinct tells me that the pull from the back top should be slightly stronger than the push from the font... why? Because imagine if the front push were stronger, it would create random vortexes of air inside the case and the push/pull would essentially be negated, fluid dynamics, LOL... (imagine people entering and exiting a room, and what would happen if the rate of people entering were greater than the rate of people exiting.... mayhem!) so this is a great case I have it seems, where it has a 120mm in front to "help" things along, and then a couple of 120's and a 90 at the top rears which provide the strong pull, while my cpu fan is also blowing towards the 90 and my graphic card is blowing up towards the 120's. I feel good about this airflow, and its actually a lot quieter than I expected. cant wait to get my Win7 and test the benchmarks and OC the i5!

My video card is cheap - http://www.asus.com/Graphics_Cards/AMD_Series/EAH4350_SILENTDI512MD2LP/

I don't own any games, so it fits my style.

I hate fans they collect dirt, I want to build a computer someday with no fans at all, except for the case fans. I have been using these fanless video cards for about 5 years now, with no problems. I love them, simple and solid as a rock.

Those video card fans clog with dirt and seize up, I want to build something and,,,,,, bullet proof it and forget about it. Everybody has their own likes and dislikes:) its no big dea what others do, its all good:)

A fanless CPU cooler mounted close to a case fan will also work, I might use a case with three -140mm fans, or custom fit those 140mm fans to fit where they are needed.

Heres a couple of fanless power supplies, I have been looking at. maybe someday
http://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=308&area

OR this one

http://www.seasonicusa.com/NEW_X-series_Fanless.htm
I like the spec's of the Seasonic better, its a classy power supply, its under rated, compare specs with others and see

460 WattOutput Current
+3.3V - 20 A
+5V - 20 A
+12V - 38 A
-12V - 0.5 A
+5VSB - 2.5 A

Last edited:
My video card is cheap - http://www.asus.com/Graphics_Cards/AMD_Series/EAH4350_SILENTDI512MD2LP/

I don't own any games, so it fits my style.

I hate fans they collect dirt, I want to build a computer someday with no fans at all, except for the case fans. I have been using these fanless video cards for about 5 years now, with no problems. I love them, simple and solid as a rock.

LOL! Almost sacrilege! But I see what u mean, and ya, with that I doubt your PSU will be any problem at all... I am all for silent, but I am more impatient than mindful of like a few dB of noise so... ah well, cant have it all!

I built it yesterday with no problems, I love the Lian Li case. I only have it clocked 4.1ghz I like the way it jumps up in speed when I do the torture test with Prime 95. I'm using the Marvell (GRAY) SATA6 to run my crucial 128gb I upgrades the bios
the processor only uses 8 watts when sitting, when I fire it up it uses about 85 watts. I have a 550watt power supply,with no problems so far

I love it, very fast

Heres the video card I'm thinking of getting :) I knew you would like this
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131455
AX6450 2GBK3-SH Radeon HD 6450 2GB 64-bit DDR3

Lian Li's are sweet... the case I used was pretty sweet, a lot of good little features and super solid, including the plastic glass panel.

Why did u decide to go with the Marvell? The guy at GB also told me to use the 0/1 SATA3 port. I am still trying to find out the big difference.

(I'm just gonna ignore that last part... actually, I think I have an extra one of these... I'll send it to you for free)

Lian Li's are sweet... the case I used was pretty sweet, a lot of good little features and super solid, including the plastic glass panel.

Why did u decide to go with the Marvell? The guy at GB also told me to use the 0/1 SATA3 port. I am still trying to find out the big difference.

(I'm just gonna ignore that last part... actually, I think I have an extra one of these... I'll send it to you for free)

I tried Intel, white first SATA6 then, I went to gray Marvell SATA6, I read where there was an improvement in 7 bios for the Marvell, I haven't ran test, but I would like to and see if there is a difference. Crucial SSD is geared toward the Marvell controller

Yes, all the holes lined up with Lian Li, very good case. The best I have ever had.

Now that card you want to send me is very very slow with no HDMI:):)

Last edited:
Hmmm ok look forward to hearing about your tests... hopefully you have the Intel #'s too to compare..

Haha sweetness... u went above and beyond, LOL... I was gonna ask you for a 3DMark score, but then I just remembered how you using a vcard without a fan so thats pointless.... :p

I havent had a chance to mess with mine yet, waiting for my Win7 Pro and time to transfer my current PC stuff to externals... I hate this part, ugh!

Graphics, LOL
You mean a card without a fan? I not even going there.......

My Card 4350
http://stuff.led-guy.com/My-4350.jpg

No,tell me what card you would buy, one with a couple of killer fans on it:)

If you're not too keen on 3D games, the AMD Radeon HD 6450 provides one of the least-expensive ways to get basic discrete video: for only $53 from NewEgg.

But if you think there's even a chance you may need your card to do anything else, stop and think if you can scrounge up a few more pennies elsewhere before buying this card.

The benifit is its price, this card is the starting point for AMD's entire 6000-series lineup, the current-generation replacement for last year's ATI Radeon HD 5450—is lean in every way.

It packs a mere 160 stream processors, 8 texture units, and 4 ROPs, along with an engine clock ranging in frequency from 625 to 750 MHz and a memory clock
that can be tuned to 533–800 MHz if the card is loaded with DDR3 memory and 800–900 MHz if GDDR5 memory is installed.

My computer build
http://stuff.led-guy.com/Den-computer.htm

Last edited:
If I break down, I'm going to buy a GeForce GTX 560 Ti

Then I will buy Battlefield 3

The last game I owned was duke nukeum, back in the day

Back