G5 Style CD Drive

Ub312g0d654

Limp Gawd
I think I know how it works, no fancy electronic trickery going on here. And It reminds me of the old g3/g4 cases but slightly different.. Let me try to ASCII up an image..

|-- /|
| / ||
|S|
|S|
|S|

Ok the the thing on the left is the cdrom tray itself, the thing on the top right is the sliding piece of plastic, the S's are a spring. When the cd-rom tray pushes out, it hits the the cover wich has a sharp angle on the inside of it, since the front has to go somewhere, it would slide down a track and stay there while the cd-tray is out, then when the tray goes back, the springs push it back up. Easy, just a few cheap changes to the initial case design to pull off too. and nothing complicated like servo's. I think this makes sense.

I wouldn't buy a G5 because of the performance, except if I had to have a Mac which could finally compete with Intel/AMD in power. Those G4s were seriously hurtin.

Fortunately I don't have to have a mac, but I'd like one anyway, for fun. Always nice for a change of view. lol

Just in case you werent reading, this has nothing to do with buying a mac, but modding a cdrom to work like a mac's.

Originally posted by FLECOM
well if you made some electical connectons to the cdrom, doable

only thing about the solenoid is that they are very fast, you might not even see where the door went! lol :)

You wouldn't have to attach anything to the CD-ROM. You'd just want a teeny little switch sticking out a teeny bit in front of the cd-rom tray, so that that would get hit when the cd-rom tray started opening. And that's why you'd want a solenoid - trays open fast - but a solenoid could move the cover in time easily. Oops - forgot one thing - you'd have to have both switches/buttons attached to a latch which would drive the mosfet which would drive the solenoid. Still pretty easy circuit.

Originally posted by Xeese
A thoroughly uninsightful and incorrect answer. (unless you consider buying a G5 just a premodded case)

it was a JOKE for christs sake

if anyone looked at the video you would see that it rotates on a 90. It simply slides under the drive. It does not go straight down.
Just so you know

Originally posted by GlobalFear
if anyone looked at the video you would see that it rotates on a 90. It simply slides under the drive. It does not go straight down.
Just so you know

BBBEEEEEEEEEPPPPP wrong answer...it does go straight down (just looked at my cubemates 1.8G5 and it looks like the optical door is attached to a spring mechnisim and when the optical door opens and flips down it pushes the top of the metal door straight down

so basically the drive would sit farther in the case, hit the triangular protrusion on the inside of the panel, and push it down parallel to the case front.

While designed for a flip down cover, the new Lian-Li stealth covers, not the appliques, come with the triangular piece on the inside.

So the short version of doing the mod:
-Get one of the LL covers,
-Cut the opening in the bezel where the drive tray will protrude
-remove the panel from the LL cover and utilizing the bottom tabs, mount in rails that run vertically behind and to the side of the hole in the bezel
-attach the LL spring to pull the cover up to whatever stops exist in the vertical rails
-profit

If you look closely the door drops before the tray ever gets near it, so the tray can't be forcing the door down.

It's likely a selenoid or a mechanical arm pulling the door down in the channel that it rests in, unlikely since the door drops in such a small amount of tray travel. Look really closely you can see that the drive rests no fartherback in the case then your average stealthed PC drive.

It's a killer looking setup.

Best of luck duplicating it. Don't forget to post a worklog. :D

-HollywoodBob

the tray is not pushing it down there is a door on the front of the tray that is causing the metal door to drop down...Xeese is close and since my cube mate isn't here today I can't have him unlock his case so I can see but if I remember right the drive is sitting back a little further and the flip down door on the front of the drive will hit a metal arm that forces the springloaded door down or that is what it looks like when I am manualy pulling the door down

use the deal where you buy stuff at work, the deal where you walk out with anything that will fit under your coat and take one home for the weekend. Open the case up and find out how apple does it, cant be hard..i mean..they're Apple

Originally posted by Iratus
The girls getting them say they just want the performance not the aesthetic though

proving they know not what the hell they talk about

Originally posted by Saddles
use the deal where you buy stuff at work, the deal where you walk out with anything that will fit under your coat and take one home for the weekend. Open the case up and find out how apple does it, cant be hard..i mean..they're Apple

we have people at work who do that and I can honestly say that if I ever saw somebody stealing our lab machines I would personaly pull their nuts off REAL slow like just to make a point

In case anyone (you too Giggle) wants to know, I'm looking at mine right now.

The sliding cover does slide straight down. It's attached to a rotating hinge via 2 cam mounts. (Think just like the cams on a camshaft in an engine.) The cams connect to the DVD base at the bottom, and the door at the top. Two pivot points. The DVD is set back about 3/4" from the door. When the door opens, the front of the tray hits the cams. The cams get pushed down, and the door slides down vertically all the way before the tray reaches the door area. The bottom of the tray slides across the cams, and the door stays down until the tray retracts. Springs keep the door up until the tray pushes it down.

Simple, mechanical, two rotation point parallel mechanism. Why the hell didn't we come up with it first ?!?!?

Hey Giggle, I bet if you dug around in the repair manual for these things, there's a seperate part number for the door. You know, something we could order from a repair center because ours got "damaged"....

unfortunately they can only be sent to authorized service providers as they are not considered a customer installable part like RAM or a HD so the system would not even let the order be placed to a consumer...sorry

Back