G1 GPS Q

Elf_Boy

2[H]4U
On my day off yesterday I went to the De Young in golden gate park.

The Muni driver was very clueless and didnt know what stop so I figured it was time to test out my GPS.

I turned it on and went to maps.

I never got a signal. All day.

I figured OK, maybe Golden Gate Park is just a bad spot.

So I tried again today.

Same thing.

Any sugestions? Ideas? Or did I get a bad phone?

Thanks

you have to turn the gps on, otherwise it uses the towers to locate you

and on initial startup of the gps, you have to give it about 5 minutes stationary to pick it up, or at least the one i tried

edit: and make sure you are under clear sky during the initial start up of the gps

what firmware are you running on? I hear RC19 had issues with the gps... RC29 and RC30 should fix those issues... but yeah, the gps must be enabled in settings and you should not be in a building of any kind... being in a car or bus or something as long as you're not in a tunnel or anything will be fine. So when you go to maps with the gps enabled you should see a new radar dish symbol in the status bar.. when you have lock on satellites, it stops being animated with the little radar waves coming in (it's just solid) and you will see yourself as a little blue dot on the map. Mine works very well I have to say.. I am really happy with it. Now we need a good nav app for the G1.. I am hoping iGo8 gets ported. :D

I had rc-19 then.RC30 now.

I was out in the middle of the street (well on the edge of the sidewalk) next to golden gate park (lots of open air).

I'll have to test it again.

Back