G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB ShellShocker at 10AM PDT

I'm hoping $39.99, but that might be optimistic. Nice to see you back, AMD_Gamer! :p

You can also get the G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9D-8GBXL

for $34.99 and a 10% discount CODE: EMCJKJB97

I'm hoping $39.99, but that might be optimistic. Nice to see you back, AMD_Gamer! :p
um 10 bucks off would be a joke plus they already have gskill 1600 with even better timings for $39.99 from time to time that's just regular price.

Be wary of these with some coolers. Not enough clearance sometimes unless you install them before putting on your HS/F. Ram would not fit in first slot with my Hyper 212.

Be wary of these with some coolers. Not enough clearance sometimes unless you install them before putting on your HS/F. Ram would not fit in first slot with my Hyper 212.
yeah but if that 212 has the bracket fan it can be moved up a few mm to clear the ripjaws x series. I still cant figure out why in the hell they made the memory slots so close to the cpu on 1155 mobos.

too bad it's not that sick Pi series rated at CAS 7 2200mhz. those are the sexyiesyt

Why the f... is ram so cheap now?! i remember around this time last year it was like $100 per 4GB...sooner or later we're going to be using RAM chips aren't going to be worth jack s... I feel bad for those who invested in a lot of RAM thinking prices would stay inflated.

Same

Although you've entered a valid promo code EMCJKJB97, your order does not currently meet the code's usage criteria.

Tried it on the 1333mhz

39.99 is live and the 10% discount stacks even with the combo freebie memory card.

Thanks OP, $108 shipped for 24gb of DDR3 1600 and 3x 4gb micro sd cards is a pretty damn hot deal.

39.99 is live and the 10% discount stacks even with the combo freebie memory card.

Thanks OP, $108 shipped for 24gb of DDR3 1600 and 3x 4gb micro sd cards is a pretty damn hot deal.

What code are you using for 10%? The ones posted in this thread don't seem to work.

Why the f... is ram so cheap now?! i remember around this time last year it was like $100 per 4GB...sooner or later we're going to be using RAM chips aren't going to be worth jack s... I feel bad for those who invested in a lot of RAM thinking prices would stay inflated.

RAM is about as cheap as it gets right now. Once DDR4 rolls around DDR3 production will stop and prices will inflate again. Probably by mid 2012 we should start to see DDR3 prices skyrocket.

yeah but if that 212 has the bracket fan it can be moved up a few mm to clear the ripjaws x series. I still cant figure out why in the hell they made the memory slots so close to the cpu on 1155 mobos.

Actually have a decent explanation for you, or I'll try to make it a decent explanation as I just was lectured on this. Probably dependent on the fact that its just a much better design for system stability and performance to be that close. You're talking about pretty high frequencies, with each generation frequencies are increasing and the longer the wire the more capactance, resistance and inductance those traces are going to have then it also increases with longer trace length. So in many cases it might be smaller/shorter traces to compensate for the effects of higher frequencies on wires. So if you have longer traces, then that needs to be compensated for somehow, because if a wire is acting like a battery (a capacitor) its holding charge and it can't go from 1->0 or 0->1 as fast. This can cause potentially worse performance, compensated for a number of ways: possibly via a higher voltage design and/or more components leading to a higher cost to compensate for these wires being longer, but then more components also leads to delay which goes back to performance, power consumption, potentially reliability and less compatibility among different types of ram - to name a few. Ideally ram would be right on the CPU. Right now we have the memory controllers integrated on the CPU for performance gains, previously it wasn't and was a part of the motherboard. I'm not exactly sure its possible to shrink things down the the scale where you can fit a whole bunch of ram on a CPU without increasing the physical size of the chip but that's really what is the most ideal thing, sorta. You still have to deal with power density and other issues by integrating it all. Its just a snowball effect cause now we have RAM that has heatsinks by default due to increasing density of the components from going from 40nm -> 32nm or whatever the manufacturing process is now for ram, and thus power density which implies heat density. It could also just be other design constraints as well. But either way we'll only run into more of these issues in the future.

edit: Well except magnetic memory is around the corner so to speak. So 3-6 years optimistically, conservatively maybe 10 unless something else comes out to replace it. And I'm sure they'll keep squeezing performance out of the existing electrical design process on RAM until they can't by the simple fact that there is much invested in an existing process and it'll be a decent hit to change processes potentially. Although honestly I'm not sure whats different with magnetic ram in the design or manufacturing process. It might not be like hard drives vs SSD's where they're clearly pretty different in the manufacturing process. Anyway point being at that point we might not have to deal as much with heat with regards to ram if that happens since using the spin of electrons rather than flow produces less heat and allows for it potentially to move beyond the current power density issues. </rant>

Last edited:
What code are you using for 10%? The ones posted in this thread don't seem to work.

It was BTEJKJC32 but you need to have received the email giving you access to the code. Interestingly the disclaimer says it doesn't work with combo's but I had no issue stacking it with the free memory cards.

RAM is about as cheap as it gets right now. Once DDR4 rolls around DDR3 production will stop and prices will inflate again. Probably by mid 2012 we should start to see DDR3 prices skyrocket.

Do you have any idea when DDR4 is coming out?

Are you one of these "ram investors"? :D

Do you have any idea when DDR4 is coming out?

Are you one of these "ram investors"? :D

Negative, I just learned the hard way with DDR2. I do have my fair share of stock on DDR3 though I won't lie. :D The cheapest I saw DDR2 back in it's prime was at 4GB for $40, prices right now are a steal. But we should begin to see DDR4 enter the market in 2012 and fully saturate by 2013. DDR3 will then go on a slow incline till they hit LUDICROUS prices and then slowly fall to WTFWHY? prices in 2014 and level out to ISHOULDVBOUGHTRAMWHENITWASCHEAP2YEARSAGO prices soon after.

Who the fuck invests in ram? :p

and then to invest in it when its high thinking that it will stay high? :p

nah I'm saying when ram was cheaper (but not as cheap as now). like (i think) before they started becoming expensive around end of summer 2010. then they just dropped like h... beginning of this year and then the trend continued to the current absolutely dirt cheap prices. but lol you're right...investments in products as volatile as consumer electronics are stupid to say the least.

Negative, I just learned the hard way with DDR2. I do have my fair share of stock on DDR3 though I won't lie. :D The cheapest I saw DDR2 back in it's prime was at 4GB for $40, prices right now are a steal. But we should begin to see DDR4 enter the market in 2012 and fully saturate by 2013. DDR3 will then go on a slow incline till they hit LUDICROUS prices and then slowly fall to WTFWHY? prices in 2014 and level out to ISHOULDVBOUGHTRAMWHENITWASCHEAP2YEARSAGO prices soon after.

How often do you follow Hot Deals? DDR2 reached as low as $10AR for 4GB (from Crucial) and there were tons of deals in the $20~25AR range.

I don't see your projections of DDR4 being likely to be true. DDR4 specs will be finalized sometime in 2012. And full saturation by 2013? Are you serious?

edit: here is Digitimes' take on DDR4. Way different than yours

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20110629PD213.html

Last edited:
I hit up the G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9D-8GBXL for $31.49 after 10% off.

This is for a new NAS/ESXi Datastore.

adding it to my GIGABYTE GA-E350N-USB3 and Antec Eco 620W PSU deals i jumped on.:D

That PSU is going to be terribly inefficient at the ~10% load the E350 will put on it. You should keep an eye out for smaller psu's hitting hot deals, the recurring ~$13 CX430 would be a better pairing.

That PSU is going to be terribly inefficient at the ~10% load the E350 will put on it.

when you say terribly inefficient, about how much would that be in %?

I think the 80Plus ratings are done at 20, 50 and 100%. Have you seen any test on any of the Neo Eco at 10%?

How often do you follow Hot Deals? DDR2 reached as low as $10AR for 4GB (from Crucial) and there were tons of deals in the $20~25AR range.

I don't see your projections of DDR4 being likely to be true. DDR4 specs will be finalized sometime in 2012. And full saturation by 2013? Are you serious?

edit: here is Digitimes' take on DDR4. Way different than yours

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20110629PD213.html

Those were not established brands at the time. If you were lucky you could get Corsair 4GB for $25 AR. And yes I do see more DDR4 sticks being shelves than DDR3 by 2013. It's just the way computer tech has been speeding up these few years. DDR2 didn't last as long as I thought and DDR3 is starting to show its age.

And as for your article. "Sorry, the page you are trying to open is available only for our paid subscribers."

I need more DDR3 2000 to go with my Tridents but I never see any on sale! Might as well wait for DDR4 at this rate.

Those were not established brands at the time.

You never heard of Crucial?

If you were lucky you could get Corsair 4GB for $25 AR.

It has nothing to do with luck and everything to do with knowledge. If you were aware of forums like Fatwallet and Slickdeals you could find these deals easily.

And yes I do see more DDR4 sticks being shelves than DDR3 by 2013. It's just the way computer tech has been speeding up these few years. DDR2 didn't last as long as I thought and DDR3 is starting to show its age.

And as for your article. "Sorry, the page you are trying to open is available only for our paid subscribers."

Yeah and which platform is going to require DDR4 so that it surpasses DDR3 sales by sometime in 2013?

Here is the same article as I linked above but from a different source:

http://laosonline.net/information/e...t-not-expected-to-take-off-until-2013-or-2014

Nope, Crucial wasn't too popular back then. You rarely saw cheap deals on the more popular brands back then.

You can throw all the numbers you want at me but I still believe DDR4 will see an uprising by the end of 2012.

Nope, Crucial wasn't too popular back then. You rarely saw cheap deals on the more popular brands back then.

You can throw all the numbers you want at me but I still believe DDR4 will see an uprising by the end of 2012.

You have no idea of what you are talking about. Crucial was started in 1996. Good luck with your mass adoption of DDR4 in 2013.

I know what the memory description says on newegg, but is this memory suitable for an AM3/AM3+ system? and how is the overclockability of this memory? Kind of want to pick this up for a cheap build.

You have no idea of what you are talking about. Crucial was started in 1996. Good luck with your mass adoption of DDR4 in 2013.

Eh don't feel like arguing this as you seem to be the type to get a little heated. It may have been popular online like G. Skill is today but B&M it was a rarity.

Back