Future of RAID Cards/HBAs with PCIe / NVME / M.2 / U.2 Storage?

sethk

2[H]4U
Hello,

The storage industry seems to be moving at lightning speed compared to the rest of the industry, and for the storage geeks out there, that's exciting and scary at the same time, as we struggle to update our understanding of long standing technologies (SATA/SAS and RAID) as the paradigms switch out from under them.

What I'm wondering is: What will the future of RAID and HBAs look like for the enthusiast / pro / enterprise markets will be (as opposed to purely consumer technologies), now that SATA and SAS are basically obsolete?
Yes, I know some will argue that SAS and SATA will be around for a while, but it's hard to argue that they're not technologically obsolete, even if they will be carried forward due to sheer marketplace inertia, confusion and lack of education about the current state of storage.

I'm sure there will be some reactions along the lines of 'why do I need RAID', or 'M.2 cards are fast enough by themselves', but RAID and even just drives with proper cabling have been around for a long while now and provide a variety of functionality: speed, aggregation, redundancy, placement flexibility and expandability. Those needs haven't gone away.

So now that U.2 looks like a new cabling standard to replace SAS and SATA cabling, it should be possible to build PCIe 3.0 16x cards that support several next gen drives, but I haven't seen any announcements. The HBA industry seems to have shrunk to mainly LSI (Avago), with Adaptec (PMC Sierra), with the latter barely being mentioned any more. It seems scary to have the industry so reliant on a single supplier for such a key technology.

The other big change that's affecting storage seems to be software-defined storage. While 'soft raid' has been around for a while, Linux, Windows and VMWare all seem to have spread the acceptability and in some cases even superiority of their software based solutions over hardware RAID. But even without the 'RAID' part, we still need HBAs and backplanes/storage enclosures to build out storage using these new technologies beyond having a couple of drives in a 'PC'.

For someone looking to build out storage, whether you are a creative professional that needs high bandwidth for video capture/ processing or an IT manager/CIO looking for storage for virtualization / databases or other high transaction workloads, I think there's a lack of clarity as to what's coming in the next year or two.

now that SATA and SAS are basically obsolete?

I do not think either are even remotely obsolete.

why do I need RAID', or 'M.2 cards are fast enough by themselves

We do not need raid because of performance but size. I mean when will we have a 100TB PCIe / NVME / M.2 / U.2 devices?

Last edited:
HP has announced their Z turbo quad pro which allows for 4 M2 pcie drives to be used in one x16 slot and sell has something similar. Who knows if it will work with non hp/dell machines but at least this sort of thing is starting to come out

Also supermicro has add in cards which allow for two U2 connected drives to be connected to one x8 slot

PCI-e storage or storage based on a similar interface is the future - no question.
But at the moment, this is expensive and lacks features like SAS/Sata with hotplug backplanes
for many disks that you need for high capacity or high reliability storage with raid.

Currently you can combine both, example a traditional storage ex a ZFS pool with NVMe disks as
high capacity/high performance L2Arc cache and/or as a fast ZIL for secure sync write.

Back