FTP Problem

Frank4d

Gawd
Here's the setup:
PC running Windows XP Pro SP1a and GuildFTPD server 0.999.13
Dy-4 Systems SVME-712 PPc card with VxWorks BSP
Both connected via a Linksys 16 port 10/100 switch
Switch also connected to the corporate LAN

When I power up the Dy-4 card it's boot parameters are configured to load the vxWorks boot file from the PC hard drive via FTP using GuildFTPD. About 2/3 of the time the Dy-4 card successfully logs in to the FTP server and downloads the boot file. And 1/3 time it does not. When it does not work, one of three things happen:
- The Dy-4 card never requests to log in to the FTP server at all, and the FTP connection times out.
- The Dy-4 card logs in and then error 426..Connection closed; transfer aborted.
- The Dy-4 card logs into the FTP server, starts to download the file, but eventually times out unable to download the file (if I unplug the 10/100 switch and replug it while this is happening, the transfer usually completes).

Now if I set the Dy-4 card to load the vxWorks boot file from any Unix file server on the LAN, I do not have this problem... the file transfer always works. And if I try to transfer a file from the XP PC to any other non-vxWorks computer...the file transfer always works.

So, right now I am engaged in a pissing contest between engineers at work because we disagree whether this is a vxWorks BSP problem... or a Windows problem... or a FTP server problem. I am inclined to believe it is a vxWorks problem because:
- I have tried four other Windows based FTP servers and observe the same behavior.
- No other (non-vxWorks) computers have trouble downloading files through the GuildFTPD server... or any other server installed on the XP machine.
- The vxWorks computer crashes my Linksys 16 port switch (when it fails to download)unless I power cycle it.

I have tried replacing the 16 port switch with a dumb single speed hub which helps with the download problem. The Dy-4 vxWorks card consistently downloads the file. Trouble is, ethernet collisions and errors caused by it shut down ports on the corporate LAN routers (until I ask IT to re-enable them).

Any ideas?

Back