FS/FT: 3.06 ghz laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

rosonowski

Gawd
I was recently given my grandfather's "old" laptop.
While it's certainly a very nice gift, it doesn't suit my needs for a laptop.
It's kind of heavy, and I'm not the biggest guy, so carrying it around campus becmes difficult after a couple hours.

3.06ghz Pentium 4 CPU, 533 mhz FSB
512 MB RAM, with one slot free. (There was originally 1GB, but one stick went bad)
60GB Hard disk
GeForce 4 MX 440 (64MB Independent Video RAM)
15" 1400x1050 display
Ethernet and 56k Winmodem, obviously. Has mini-pci slot and antenna hookups for WiFi card.
Windows XP Pro COA
Includes Nero Burning ROM, PowerDVD, and original manuals.

The CD Drive will need to be replaced, but this is pretty trivial to do. Newegg has replacements for about 60 bucks.

The keyboard is a bit beat up, as he managed to somehow knock the "Home" and "End" keys off. They still react if you push them, but are missing their keycaps. It looks as if "End" was transplanted to "N", but all of the keys that are there work just beautifully, at least physically. The manufacturer sells replacements for 20 bucks, but I don't miss the home and end keys very much.

Apparently, the system 'stutters' under windows (when you type too quickly). It doesn't do this under linux, so it's something to do with the way it's handling the hardware, a driver update should fix it.....The problem is apparently in the way Windows buffers incoming text data. I'm looking into a solution,.)

Anyways, with that in mind, I'm looking for a smaller laptop, something in the ~5-6 pounds light variety, although I'm particularly preferential to apple hardware, such as a new(er) iBook or possibly an older powerbook. I will, of course, consider PC laptops (Centrino and such) but my real desire is for an apple laptop. You could always trade for cash enough to get me one, though. I've found a deal on one for about 600 bucks, although I'm not certain that will go through.

hazmatic said:
yea price would be nice

That's in bold, 600 bucks. ;-)

I was going to ask for more, but like I mentioned, it has those issues..

I would post pics of the damage, but I only have a webcam. If either of you has AIM, I can work something out to give you a tour, so to speak.

very very nice price... if i had the cash id jump on it .. all i have is trades haha ... gl!

1 you must post a non-free email
2 some refs would be nice
3 pics would be nicer

umbra said:
3 pics would be nicer

4.) you could try looking at his SIG! ;)

5.) nie price. if i had the money i would buy it :eek:

umbra said:
3 pics would be nicer

refs and email are in sig.

Pics are a bit harder to get, no camera.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back