Frys Video Card Return Policy?

equinox654

Gawd
Do you guys know how long they give on video card returns?

I bought my gtx 470 sli setup the 28th of november. It has been randomly dropping to desktop every hour or two. One of the cards was a open box return. (Didnt have any choice. Only 2 were left.) Im thinking that might be my problem. Id swap them for 6870 xfire if I hadnt seen gpu memory usage hit 1gb in badcompany 2 in 5760x1200.

Guess I can take them back friday and hold the money until the 6970 comes out.
Damn rig raised my garage temp from 60f to 75f lol

I would say that video cards fall in the 30day return policy, only memory and motherboards are in the 15day window.

Imho I would say grab one of those 200$ is 5870's or something, and save yourself the cash :) Especially with eyefinity.

I was hoping it was 30 days. I couldnt find anything about video cards in their return policy.

I had a 5870 before the 470s. They pretty much doubled my frame rate in bc2. I would have just bought another 5870 but the eyefinity crossfire scaling sucks.

The return policy on Video Cards is 15 days, unless something has changed in the past few months.

Videocard return policy was never 15 days that I'm aware of.

Back of the receipt will list which products do fall in that category

back of reciept doesn't list GPU (looking at it right now), unless if Fry's wishes to count them as microprocessors.

I used to work at Fry's. As long as you didn't get something from that cage where they keep hardware behind their cashiers, it is 30 days. Anything that comes out of that cage, cpus, ram, oem hard drives is 15.

Back in May '10 I bought I card from Fry's B&M and was assured the return policy was 15 days, not 30 when I asked at checkout. Since I was never planning to keep the card anyway, I returned it on Day 14, and the person at the return's counter also confirmed the 15 day return policy on graphics cards.

*shrug*

For all I know it could have just been a management anomaly at my local Fry's. I also seem to vaguely remember it being mentioned that online purchase through Frys.com carried a 30 day on Video Cards while B&M purchases only had a 15 day.

Don't take my word for it though. When in doubt, you could always just call your local store and ask.

Local store in Palo Alto has a return policy of 30 days unless it is a motherboard, memory or processor: Then it is 15 days. I have purchased a number of video cards for "Testing Purposes" until I decide on a final purchase. I have never had an issue with any returns unless it is not accompanied by a receipt.

It was still 30 day return here in Dallas Texas back in September. I had bought some 465GTX's that was acting up too and took them back right at the 30 day mark. It is printed on the back of the receipt.

Friday is day 13 anyways, doesn't matter if it is 15 or 30 days for him at least.

Yah, Fry's can be rough on the return policy though. Just stick to your guns and you will be good.

nas, cdrom drives, anything out of the cage, and laptops are all 15 days now.

Do you guys know how long they give on video card returns?

I bought my gtx 470 sli setup the 28th of november. It has been randomly dropping to desktop every hour or two. One of the cards was a open box return. (Didnt have any choice. Only 2 were left.) Im thinking that might be my problem. Id swap them for 6870 xfire if I hadnt seen gpu memory usage hit 1gb in badcompany 2 in 5760x1200.

Guess I can take them back friday and hold the money until the 6970 comes out.
Damn rig raised my garage temp from 60f to 75f lol

you have 2 options when returning. you can get your money back or ask for store credit.

the gfx card return policy is 30 days i believe. and they dont ask questions. just say the cards had an issue and you would like to return them. they will check the contents. slap a sticker on it to have the cards tested and put them back on the shelf if they pass their fake test.

Guess Ill take them back Friday or Saturday and hold onto the cash until the 6970 launch.

I would clean it really well, just make sure no dust at all.

I tried to return a card within 48 hours of buying it because it didn't work, and my case was pretty dusty and some dust bunnies got sucked into the fan when I installed it.

Was a fucking nightmare, and they accused me of trying to switch out the card with an old card I already had or something. I nearly went off when they started pulling that shit.

You have to understand that Fry's is run by Nazis, and consequently they have some of the most effed up Nazi return policies ever. Internally the employees (I refer to them as 'goons') are encouraged to do ANYTHING to keep you from returning merchandise. They will lie, make things up, come up with wild ass accusations, and sometimes even bait you to try and get you to become hostile. Just stick to your guns, stay calm (this really drives them nuts), and ask for management / supervisors until you get your way.

You have to understand that Fry's is run by Nazis, and consequently they have some of the most effed up Nazi return policies ever. Internally the employees (I refer to them as 'goons') are encouraged to do ANYTHING to keep you from returning merchandise. They will lie, make things up, come up with wild ass accusations, and sometimes even bait you to try and get you to become hostile. Just stick to your guns, stay calm (this really drives them nuts), and ask for management / supervisors until you get your way.

Stay calm, and don't immediately try to wow them with how well you know computers. Every teenager and some adults, too, think that merely shopping at Fry's means they are a comp genius (just look at how many component reviews at NewEgg have "tech level 5/high" selected...). But be very thorough.

Basically, be mature.:p

Im just going to tell them that I cant get it to run stable and would like to return it.
I havent even tried figuring out what the problem is,,, dont really care. They are definately faster than my old 5870 when watching t he fraps counter. DX 11 BC2 is around 60 fps avg in 5760x1200 but watching fraps, but when ever it goes even to 58 it feels like 30. Doesnt feel much better than the 5870 except in when people shoot smoke grenades everywhere.

never seen that with the returns. I've returned a bunch of crap to fry's and not once have they ever questioned why i was returning it. most employee's just dont give a shit. the company like you said is run by a bunch of Nazi's. the annoying part of fry's is the floor sales people trying to make every sale possible even if it means giving complete bullshit advice to the customer. i mean hell I'm banned from Concord, Ca store because i called out the manager in the computer hardware department for giving bullshit information to a customer trying to sell them a 200 dollar motherboard for a system that only required a 40 dollar motherboard and on top of that it was the wrong socket he needed. the lady has no clue about computer hardware all she cared about was the price because it counted toward commission.this wasnt the first time either. every time i went in there i saw them giving bullshit information to make sales and i'd always correct them every time. i worked in retail for 2 years. i refuse to miss lead a customer just to make a sale. thats piss poor business practice.

The return policy IS 30 days.

I returned a GTX470 last week that was 31 days out and I was refunded my money. The only question I was asked was "Why was I returning it"? My reply was "I found it cheaper elsewhere". No hassles, no issues for me.

-Flake

never seen that with the returns. I've returned a bunch of crap to fry's and not once have they ever questioned why i was returning it. most employee's just dont give a shit. the company like you said is run by a bunch of Nazi's. the annoying part of fry's is the floor sales people trying to make every sale possible even if it means giving complete bullshit advice to the customer. i mean hell I'm banned from Concord, Ca store because i called out the manager in the computer hardware department for giving bullshit information to a customer trying to sell them a 200 dollar motherboard for a system that only required a 40 dollar motherboard and on top of that it was the wrong socket he needed. the lady has no clue about computer hardware all she cared about was the price because it counted toward commission.this wasnt the first time either. every time i went in there i saw them giving bullshit information to make sales and i'd always correct them every time. i worked in retail for 2 years. i refuse to miss lead a customer just to make a sale. thats piss poor business practice.

I hear it, I just don't care, anymore. If a customer wishes not to ask around more than just the people who are obviously trying to make money off of them, then don't waste your time.

Also, Fry's has decent deals once in a blue moon (early 2010 99usd Antec TPQ850 among them :)), so I try to keep the door open a wee bit, at least.

I still hate how every GPU is marked up some 30-40usd, though.

I was a salesman at Fry's. I never gave bullshit advice and only suggested to customers what they needed. It bites you in the ass later on if you sell crap to customers that they don't need. The moment they come back and return it, that commission gets taken away. Those salesmen are retarded if they sold crap customers didn't need as it would hurt them later on when they have to meet their quota and make up for the negative commission.

I was a salesman at Fry's. I never gave bullshit advice and only suggested to customers what they needed. It bites you in the ass later on if you sell crap to customers that they don't need. The moment they come back and return it, that commission gets taken away. Those salesmen are retarded if they sold crap customers didn't need as it would hurt them later on when they have to meet their quota and make up for the negative commission.

It's not just that. It's crap like "mice burn out around every year or so," after a customer mentions their previous mouse died, "buy a MS mouse for better tracking, buy a Logitech mouse for better life."

Yeah, some stuff may be returned, but that won't stop them from trying.

It's not just that. It's crap like "mice burn out around every year or so," after a customer mentions their previous mouse died, "buy a MS mouse for better tracking, buy a Logitech mouse for better life."

Yeah, some stuff may be returned, but that won't stop them from trying.

Ahhhh those... The know it alls when they really don't know anything at all. Yeah... those guys make me laugh haha.

You are so right. I work there too, I never tell a customer that they need this or they will die without it. Do some sales guys do it? yes probably, no question about that. At my store in our department, I would say there are about 4 guys that will do it, and they are the ones who get hit with neagtive commisssion as well. I call them their own worst enemies.
Customer comes to me who wants to build the best system, the question I ask is what the hell are you gonna do with it. If you are a good sales guy you can make commission without over selling your customer, and giving them what they need not what they want. Do I try to sell warranties even if I know they don't need it, yea I do, its my fricking job or I will get fired for not hitting my goals. Do I force it down their throat? no i don't, if someone wants it they must want it. Hell I even got a customer who told me put warranty on shit we don't even sell it on like graphic card and memory.

FYI ever frys store is different, and depends on the manager running it. Some managers hate taking returns and hence they will enforce strict rules within the rule book and wont be too easy if you returning with a banged up box or no box. But our store the managers take 90% of the crap back and they will even give you credit sometimes if you are like 2 months late, doesn't happen all the time but sometimes.

There is so much information available on the net right now, I mean customer should be smart enough to do a little research before they go out on a spending spree to store. Like my dad used to be now he has nothing thanks to the economy. He would go out to best buy and fricking buy the most expensive shit even if he didn't need it. It was his money so I couldn't tell him what to do, but I did tell him when he goes to shop for tv's and laptops just ask me next time.

Frys is hell to work at, yes it pays good but no where near it used to pay from what the gusy tell me or my current manager who used to be sales 5 years ago. Yes they are commissioned but that doesn't make every guy on the sales floor a goon, some of the guys are some of the best people I have met in my life, and very honest people. There will always be a few that will rip you off but it is clearly obvious who those are and as a customer you need to know what you need when you go in to a store like frys. Our manager is good, if a manager doesn't care then the whole department will go to hell. He wrote up a few guys that I was talking about who write up anything because they didn't qualify their customer.

I do agree though that place is a curse.

Back