friend's daughter's iPod touch

QwertyJuan

[H]F Junkie
My friend talked with me last night and he said his daughter changed her passcode on her iPod touch, FORGOT it?!?! and locked it up solid now(after like a billion tries) and it's unusable. I told him I "assumed" there was a way to unlock the thing and get it back to factory, but I have NO idea how to do this? :confused:

Any ideas?

As long as she has a recent backup you can simply restore it using iTunes, then re-sync everything. It will wipe it clean, but the restore will put everything back.

You can just unlock it by logging in with the Apple ID and password that was used to lock it in the first place. It's just the same credentials used to set up iCloud or download anything from the App Store.

You can just unlock it by logging in with the Apple ID and password that was used to lock it in the first place. It's just the same credentials used to set up iCloud or download anything from the App Store.

There is no place to put in Apple ID and password is there? It's just the traditional lock screen with the num pad.

As long as she has a recent backup you can simply restore it using iTunes, then re-sync everything. It will wipe it clean, but the restore will put everything back.

He told me he plugged it into iTunes and nothing happened.... now.... he is SEVERELY computer illiterate, so perhaps he didn't think to try restore. :)

Thanks, I will tell him to try that... OR he may end up begging me over to his place to fix it, LOL.

There is no place to put in Apple ID and password is there? It's just the traditional lock screen with the num pad.

I'm guessing he's talking about the new activation lock in iOS7, not the passcode

and x2 on Psyco's advice. Even if it's never been backed up (which is possible), she should still have access to everything that was on it as long as she was using icloud. Apps/music/etc can all be re-downloaded from the Appstore/Itunes.

I can't tell from your friends explanation, but I'm guessing it's not 'bricked' and the iPod is just locked out for 'x' time because of the numerous wrong password entries. If it is unresponsive/bricked-like, look up how to put one into DFU mode to do the restore.

He told me he plugged it into iTunes and nothing happened.... now.... he is SEVERELY computer illiterate, so perhaps he didn't think to try restore. :)

Thanks, I will tell him to try that... OR he may end up begging me over to his place to fix it, LOL.

Make sure you get a beer for your trouble!

Back