Fried Controller, how to recover

Lazn_Work

Supreme [H]ardness
We had a little accident at the house today, my roomate was makeing some custom power cables for his PC and used one on his 100GB WD hard drive. However he got the yellow and red cables switched by accident.

Needless to say, it let the magic smoke out.

If we were able to find a drive with the same controller on it, what are the chances that we could still get the data off of it?

The drive does still spin up with a controller from a close but not exact drive match. With the original controller the drive doesn't even spin up.

Any help would be appreciated.

==>Lazn

I lost 2 80gb hard drives I had in raid to this just a while back. It would be interesting if someone could repair them some how.

I have been lucky once or twice with a controller swap..but it’s luck if you get it to work right. Pure luck ;)

Do it very often at work, as long as the platters aren't damaged. I've probably fixed 10+ drives just by swapping the controller board.

I am the roomate that decided to have fried HD for dinner the other night.

Thanks for the help guys. Now for the fun part.... :(

I have been looking on the web for a replacement controler and haven't had much luck locating one.

I am looking for a WD1000BB-32CCB0 with a DCM of DSCHBT2CH. If anyone out there has a working match drop me an e-mail and we can work out a deal. I would be happy to send you a replacement drive (a bigger one of course) to get my hands on the needed logic board.

-Dum0nt73

Back