FreeBSD oh noes (first install)

untitled

Weaksauce
apologies for the ramble/ n00b issues.

okies in order it went like this:

i put the freeBSDie on this box (precision 210) it went on fine - it gave me the h0rn - i said yay me.

i thought i'd put it on the other box as thats the one i intend to keep it on (precision 420)

it spat it out and had a bit of a tantrum.
during the install it got as far as syncing disk and just plain refused to test buffer 16?
so it reboots....ad infinitum/ nauseum

that really means very little to me despite having had a good nose about on google.

anyways, i thought, what the hell, be a man, step up to the plate and do a proper install. so i grabbed 5.2.1 and it proceeded to look like it was going to do the job admirably.

i got to the late stages of the install (having bumbled about as best as i could) and i got to the extra programs. i picked install 'all' form 'all' categories - i figure i should have a good mess around before i whittle it down to the bare essentials.

for whatever reason, qt 3.2.1 wont go on, i'm not sure if its a sketchy dl (i didn't run the iso thru an MD5 check - i know, i know, i should have, i promise not to do it again)

now i'm not sure, but i though qt was a part of KDE or GNOME, but either way, i thought startx would be okay.

nope, no GUI for me...

server error:
no displays found.

surely not!
i'm looking at the display!
whats more you are reproting the error to me on the 'no display'

now i'm guessing my blundering with the screen options may have something to do with this.

anybody wanna tell me:

a) how i should be doing the screen options

or

b) how i can do the freeBSDie install and make it stick (i.e. get it to the HDD permanantly)

cheers in advance

You will probably have to run

$ xf86cfg

its a decent gui setup that does a lot of things automatically

Make sure you add the modelines for a decent resolution and display depth or it will run in 640x480 mode (well, that is its usual behavior)

This of course has nothing to do with QT, only getting X configured. you can install QT via ports

$ cd /usr/ports/x11-toolkits/qt33
$ make clean install

But the handbook is the place to start, be sure to read it, then read it again.

cheers for your answer.

i did have a read of the handbook, but alot of it went straight over my head.

i'm having another look through it now to see what i might have missed. i'v just subscribed to the mailing list too.

i'm thinking your point about 5.2.1 might be a valid point. i was sure it said [stable] when i grabbed it. maybe a 4.x or a plain 5.0 would have been more wise.

*goes to get a 5.0*

cheers again

mcarlson said:
You will probably have to run

$ xf86cfg

its a decent gui setup that does a lot of things automatically

Make sure you add the modelines for a decent resolution and display depth or it will run in 640x480 mode (well, that is its usual behavior)

This of course has nothing to do with QT, only getting X configured. you can install QT via ports

$ cd /usr/ports/x11-toolkits/qt33
$ make clean install

But the handbook is the place to start, be sure to read it, then read it again.

damn, i didn't see your post when i posted my reply.

yup, you hit it on the head:

/usr/sbin/sysinstall to 'do' xf86cfg

i hadn't setup my supe-1337 millenium G200 gfx card....luckily enough it features in the handbook.

so to your next point read it once - then read it again.

:rolleyes:

cheers for your answers.

have got a gui now, i put KDE on too, now all i have to do is setup my DSL modem, setup send mail or pine, set it up to be the network gateway, find out how to integrate openmosix and then maybe i can dump MS.

;)

cheers again

Back