Free Ubuntu CD's

Why does Launchpad want me to accept a certificate before the page even opens?

Appreciate the linkage...anyone vouch for how long it takes to get them in? I ordered 10 PC standard and 5 64bit version CD's.

Ax

ok....I won't be looking for them too soon then. :(

Ax

I just got mine not sure when I ordered it you can scroll up and see when it ordered.

I got mine a few weeks ago. I think it took around a couple months. A pretty good service if you ask me. Free distro and live CD's with cardboard cases in whatever architecture you want.

I got the i386 x2, x86_64 x2, and Mac x2 (Don't really have a use for these, but they came in the pack.)

Yeah this is pretty cool.

I ordered around 300 just to see if they'd come.

Sure enough, a month and a half later, a beat up box from some weird country is at my doorstep.

Complete with 300 ubuntu CDs, and a cool little display stand for them :)

dont want to be a stick in the mud, but don't abuse this - this is an organization that's all about humanity - and just because they'll give you their product for free doesn't mean it's unlimited supply or anything crazy like that

I have Ubuntu right next to me here, but really though - dont go getting one everyday (I know some fellas who do this sort of thing)

HopePoisoned said:
dont want to be a stick in the mud, but don't abuse this - this is an organization that's all about humanity - and just because they'll give you their product for free doesn't mean it's unlimited supply or anything crazy like that

I have Ubuntu right next to me here, but really though - dont go getting one everyday (I know some fellas who do this sort of thing)

Yeah, I agree. I ordered the three pack since I wanted one for 32/64..but they didn't have a 2-pack option with those so..the mac os version was addeed.

I ordered 30 (32bit), 15 (64bit), 5(mac). Votech and all my tech nerd friends will love me. I have only a little experiance with linux, so I have to ask, what is all this talk abt a "live" cd?

ATIIsBetter said:
I ordered 30 (32bit), 15 (64bit), 5(mac). Votech and all my tech nerd friends will love me. I have only a little experiance with linux, so I have to ask, what is all this talk abt a "live" cd?

A "live cd" is an operating system that runs from the cdrom. Just pop the cd in, and it will start loading, nothing gets installed on your hard drive. When your done,pull the cd, and reboot. Your back in Windows. Really nice cd.

PaHick said:
A "live cd" is an operating system that runs from the cdrom. Just pop the cd in, and it will start loading, nothing gets installed on your hard drive. When your done,pull the cd, and reboot. Your back in Windows. Really nice cd.

but the other cd gives you the option of installing it, right?

Bal`thzar said:
I just got mine not sure when I ordered it you can scroll up and see when it ordered.

Mine got here in just about 1 month. Got 10 copies of the 32 bit, and five copies of the 64 bit. Already handed some of them out to others.

Ax

I ordred these a while ago... Still have no recieved them. I triple checked my addy info before i submitted. Oh well either way Ubuntu rocks!

Got mine last week. I think it was only a few weeks to get them.

Very cool. Will try it out when i get it. And also give some of the discs to my professor so we can alll play around with linux.

lol just saw this, was looking to download ubuntu the other day but didnt find the dl page or something. This is much less hassle, thanks.

From another forum I posted on:

I just received my order of 100 Ubuntu cds! :D ... and the package is so trashed, it's laughable.

I don't know who's to blame but this sure is funny.

Front
Side 1
Back
Side 2
Opening Cont.
Opening more
Cds!
Cds carefully placed in the box
Rawr! My 100 cds!

Btw, thank god this was something I didn't care about ... or else I'd be crying right now and not laughing. :D

EDIT: Btw, sorry for some blur pics, camera was set on night mode or something .. couldn't be bothered :p

75 32bit CDs + 25 64bit CDs = 12 pounds of CDs from the Netherlands to Canada ... ouch thank god I didn't pay for the shipping. :D

ya i got my 100 in a box a week or two ago....

i put installed on my moms laptop

not to bad for free software :p

Got mine a week or two ago also. Tryed out the Live CD, I want to do a full install soon.

ValeX said:
ordered some anyways...i better not get charged for this :p....im pretty sure it said it was 100% free, not just _free shipping_

ValeX
Got mine. Completely free. Just haven't had a chance to install one on the machine I planned on putting Linux on cuz my brother tossed the hard drive for it, thinking it was a different, dead drive. DOH!

Ordered mine last week. I just ordered five of the basic PC CDs; I figure I can order more down the road if I need them. I can't wait to get these! I have never touched Linux before, but I'm totally psyched to try it out and then maybe set up a HTPC or file server. Thanks Ubuntu! :D

I suspect the economics of this work thusly: Some smart computer company subsidizes the production of the CDs in third-world countries, paying wages that we'd consider robbery but are probably a decent living for the fabricators. They send a weird-looking package from some strange country to us. We run into an issue with the OS, and the convenient Tech Support listing directs us to Some Smart Computer Company, who then charges for the support. The company gets some huge-ass write-off for charity or some other lucrative tax benefit, the third-world computer geeks get to make a living, and we get super-cheap Linux that we can spread all over the place. If half of the philosophy stuff on the web site is true, Ubuntu is exactly the sort of company that smart people should support.

At least, that's my theory/opinion...

Scalpel said:
We run into an issue with the OS, and the convenient Tech Support listing directs us to Some Smart Computer Company, who then charges for the support.

There is NO official pay/commercial Ubuntu support. www.ubuntuforums.org is EVERYTHING you need to know and more.

Please don't abuse this....

Don't order 100 cds unless you plan on using them. There are people who find this service VERY useful. Personally, my university now officially supports Ubuntu and have given out 200 Breezy Badger cds in 6 months as a result....I'm excited for Dapper.

I'm in for five. I figure I'll keep one or two and give the others to a few friends.

i did this a while back, took about 3 weeks from the order date to get them. I got 5 x86 and 5 x64 and no PPC. I think im gonna out in another order for 300, 100 of each to mass distribute them.

I wish i could get Kubuntu this way cause i like it much more than ubuntu.

Back