Free / Open Source Network Device / Asset Tool

IAmForum

Weaksauce
What are some FREE (non-trial) Network Discovery Tools.
I have been using
Advanced IP Scanner - but I need more information than I am getting

It would be great if I could also get
OS
OS Version
Computer Name

I have several devices on our LAN, and I am trying to figure out what / where they are.

What hardware are you running? Some will list out basic device information, some of the unifi hardware even uses AR on your cellphone to display port/device info...

Free bump, because I'm interested as well for a free non-trial program with more info.

What hardware are you running?
Servers
AP's
Mobile phones
laptops
desktop
printers

I installed "ZenMap" and did a "intense scan plus UDP over the weekend, and it never finished the scan.
I am now trying a "quick scan plus" to see if this scan finishes.
I am only scanning 255 private ip addresses, so we shall see how long it takes.

The SCAN finished and it gave me a bit more info, but it did not include the computer name.

At least I can get the computer name via
ping -a IP_Address

Last edited:
I found 3 scanning tools I like very much (that are free).
Advanced IP Scanner
Network Scanner X64 (Mitec) (you can add login credentials to get a ton more info)
NEWT PROFESSIONAL KOMODO LABS (you can add login credentials to get a ton more info)

I installed the last two on a test system and then copied the program folder, and I am running them off a flash drive (semi portable now)
This did not actually work for "NEWT PROFESSIONAL KOMODO LABS" - It needs to be installed.

Last edited:
If you know login creds, LanSweeper was always a beast, but not sure if they have their free limited version any more

You can get all of that info from NMAP if you know the right command line parameters...
However, if you want actual patch numbers, hotfix, etc., then only an authenticated scan can give you that.

Back