Free Anti-Viruses

XanTHraX

Limp Gawd
I am looking for a free anti-virus that is reputable and isn't bloat. I currently have Norton but the level of bloat in 2004 is just not on. I'm not even sure if there is any free reputable ones. Any one any ideas? Thanks

AVG. They have a paid version and a free version. The free version has the exact same virus scanning functionality as the paid version, but the paid version has some advanced features that really aren't essential for home users.

Just to let you know, AVG is made by Grisoft (http://www.grisoft.com/.) If you just search for AVG you might have a little trouble finding it.

Anyway, I've used it, and seen many other people talk about how great it is. It definitely has all the basic features you need, and they update it often.

BTW, some people recommend running multiple AV softwares. The idea is that what one misses, another often picks up. Of course, you might want to find a different one to be the second. Perhaps the free version of McAffee's AV software is good (haven't used it, I'm too lazy and have Norton 2003 which I didn't find too bloated.)

yup avg. or get the corporate version of nortons which doesnt have all that bloated paint crap.

If you want free then AVG is the way to go.
I have been using it for the last 6 months and it works like a charm. I like it alot better then Nortan.

Back