Free Anti-Virus Needed for Parents

fn9

Weaksauce
I was going to go with MSE since it doesn't seem to need to be re-registered and is popular on this site.

Any other suggestions?

I know the re-registering bit is a little ridiculous, but it's just one less thing to go wrong.

I use MSE on my computer and any one that I work on. It ties into windows update so that is a good plus. Less for non computer people to deal with

I use MSE generally, occasional scan with Malwarebytes just to be safe as well.

MSE updates via Windows Updates, and if there are updates available before that, it let's you know, but isn't a dick about it (no constant reminders).

+1 for MSE. I use it on all my personal computers and recommend it to anybody that is looking for a good AV.

MSE for family members. I recently switched to Avast on my computer. Either one would be a good choice. I would install MSE for anybody's computer.

I'd take it a step further and set their default dns to opendns. They do a pretty good job filtering the crap out.

Another vote for MSE.

Since it's free and there is no subscription it's by far the most hassle-free set it and forget it antivirus.

AV is great to have but they should be instructed on how to be safe online. Also, make sure they're getting Windows updates automatically and that they don't have any installed software with known exploits.

MSE is great, I'd also recommend you install TeamViewer or something similar to help them remotely.

I use MSE on my computer and any one that I work on. It ties into windows update so that is a good plus. Less for non computer people to deal with

MSSE seems to be decent enough. I use it.

Microsoft Security Essentials always gets my first pick for non techy family and friends that need something low cost or free:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/products/security-essentials

I use MSE generally, occasional scan with Malwarebytes just to be safe as well.

MSE updates via Windows Updates, and if there are updates available before that, it let's you know, but isn't a dick about it (no constant reminders).

+1 for MSE. I use it on all my personal computers and recommend it to anybody that is looking for a good AV.

MSE, you just can't go wrong with it.

MSE for family members. I recently switched to Avast on my computer. Either one would be a good choice. I would install MSE for anybody's computer.

MSE is a no brainer.

I'd take it a step further and set their default dns to opendns. They do a pretty good job filtering the crap out.

Another vote for MSE.

Since it's free and there is no subscription it's by far the most hassle-free set it and forget it antivirus.

MSE is great, I'd also recommend you install TeamViewer or something similar to help them remotely.

All very good ideas. Cannot go wrong here.

Yup. I use MSE, OpenDNS and Malwarebytes. I also have a pfsense firewall. I haven't had any issues at all. But, for those that are non-tech's, MSE+OpenDNS is a great combo. Very little interaction needed to stay protected.

I think there's a program made my Microsoft that works well..... or so I hear.

MSE and OpenDNS ..

...as well as maybe throw on SpywareBlaster (update and enable all protection) and Spybot Search & Destroy (disable TeaTimer, Update and Immunize ).. you'll have to manually update them (free versions) for them once a month or so.

..That should keep them pretty safe from themselves for awhile . .

create an OpenDNS account for them and setup restrictions for them as well perhaps.

CCleaner might be good too .. and set it to run on boot up.

As much as I'd like to recommend this, I can't for family members or friends that don't really know computers. They are going to want to know why some information just won't save into forms no matter how many times they try.

my wife always complains when I run it on our computer .. I keep telling her that I'm not really fond of having our bank login info saved all the time , lol ... :rolleyes:

MSE and OpenDNS ..

...as well as maybe throw on SpywareBlaster (update and enable all protection) and Spybot Search & Destroy (disable TeaTimer, Update and Immunize ).. you'll have to manually update them (free versions) for them once a month or so.

..That should keep them pretty safe from themselves for awhile . .

create an OpenDNS account for them and setup restrictions for them as well perhaps.

did spybot improve here over the last year or two? I stopped using it awhile back here as there was issues with it slowing down IE as it put about 3000 or so entries into the host file to redirect know bad sites back to the computer. I've switched to malwarebytes and superantispyware inastead.

did spybot improve here over the last year or two? I stopped using it awhile back here as there was issues with it slowing down IE as it put about 3000 or so entries into the host file to redirect know bad sites back to the computer. I've switched to malwarebytes and superantispyware inastead.

Yeah it went through a complete redesign recently.

The entries in the hosts file are optional, that's from the Immunize function..you don't have to do that. But as a scanner...it's a good addition to the other usuals...MWB, SAS, etc.

Yeah it went through a complete redesign recently.

The entries in the hosts file are optional, that's from the Immunize function..you don't have to do that. But as a scanner...it's a good addition to the other usuals...MWB, SAS, etc.

Hmm, good to know. Spybot used to be a great tool and then got quickly surpassed by SAS and MBAM and kinda sucked so I stopped using it. You're saying it's improved since then? Is it worth running active or just as a scanner?

Hmm, good to know. Spybot used to be a great tool and then got quickly surpassed by SAS and MBAM and kinda sucked so I stopped using it. You're saying it's improved since then? Is it worth running active or just as a scanner?

Purely as a manual scanner. I still think MWB and SAS are much better at cleaning....but I prefer to scan/clean infected rigs with several different tools. You'll find that if you have an infected rig on your bench....and you scan with MWB and SAS...and then SB...SB may still pick up a couple of legit things that the others missed.

I don't like the real time protection thing of SB though...I never did. (used to be called teatimer..not sure if it still is)

Going to break the cycle and suggest Avira. MSE has gone downhill in its detection and scan scores. See:

http://www.av-comparatives.org/images/stories/test/summary/summary2011.pdf

Avira is the highest rated free AV, and it is what I'm going to switch all of my home machines too. I know everyone loves MSE (I do too) but it scored way to low this year compared to other products so I think it's time to try Avira again.

There is an advantage to using someone other than MSE.

As it becomes more common, viruses will be designed to fly under its radar. I'd get a passive scanner from someone else in addition to whatever you get just in case. Malwarebytes more likely.

Going to break the cycle and suggest Avira. MSE has gone downhill in its detection and scan scores. See:

Avira is the highest rated free AV, and it is what I'm going to switch all of my home machines too. I know everyone loves MSE (I do too) but it scored way to low this year compared to other products so I think it's time to try Avira again.

Just wait until version 4 of MSE is officially out...they really beefed it up towards today rogues. Been running the BETA for a while...seen it bag some recent xp antivirus 2012/hard disk failure rogues.

I used to use Avira for some "freebie" clients, friends, family. But it's so damn naggy with the upgrade to pro/paid version...drives end users nuts.

I don't think enough people have recommended it :D , but I'd like to recommend MSE, MBAM, and openDNS. I would also add TeamViewer so you can help them out if they have a problem and you don't have the time to drive to them to fix it...

Just wait until version 4 of MSE is officially out...they really beefed it up towards today rogues. Been running the BETA for a while...seen it bag some recent xp antivirus 2012/hard disk failure rogues.

I used to use Avira for some "freebie" clients, friends, family. But it's so damn naggy with the upgrade to pro/paid version...drives end users nuts.

Yeah scratch what I said, it might be better on scans but it has been nothing but a pain in the ass on our virus scanning VM's. Guess I'll check out the beta, thanks

any date on when it is officially released?

Thank you for the link, very good read. We just rolled out Kaspersky across our company, so nice to see that it scored the highest overall. :)

Just to add to this, I always do MSE for friends/family since it is free, low resources, and updates by itself. Virtually dummy proof.

+1 to this and MSE.

Avira may have gotten better but it's still annoying as hell with all the upsell popups.

MSE is good for "set and forget", but as a dissenting alternative, I like Avast better. Does as good a job or better, with less overhead. I've seen MSE bog down older computers before.

The only downside, the ONLY reason why one might not want Avast is the yearly registration. It's free, but it still has to be done to renew it.

Back