Fraud Alert: Newegg sold me a laptop w/ 48GB SSD, but it states 256GB SSD on the receipt

Happy Hopping

Supreme [H]ardness
https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/...pd500226-product-overview-330-15ich-330-17ich

on the receipt, it clearly states 256GB SSD, as shown from the above link, it's either 128 or 256GB. Found out when windows 10 keep saying low disk space. And turns out it's only 42GB

buying from them for over 10+ yr., never found I need to check the specification from the receipt to confirm what they said IS what they sold. It's like saying if you buy a 6 cyl. car from Honda, and you need to open the hood to double check if it really is 6 cyl.

I just can't believe this can happen. Email them w/ a video showing the front w/ the attach screen showing it's 42GB and continuously to the back w/ the serial no. in 1 continuous shoot. There is no reply. So just now, have to file a police report

Attachments

• DiskFullat42GB.JPG
    DiskFullat42GB.JPG
    544.3 KB · Views: 0
Really filing a police report over a $50 SSD? Yea NE needs to make it right but come on. I seriously doubt there is intentional malice in NE part.

yeah, did you bother to check disk manager or even device manger. they would be really hard pressed to find a 42GB* ssd to "scam" you with, since they never existed....
*edit: or 48?! title says one thing, post says another

Last edited:
the machine as you have read from the specification c/w a 256GB SSD. So there is no reason that Lenovo would hide some partition, waiting for some customer to format it. These laptop are sold to everyone, they don't expect regular customer knows how to view or retrieve hidden partition. Needless to say, the entire 256GB should be ready to use when the box was first open.

It's a typo. it's 42.8GB to be exact.

the laptop casing was slightly shifted / crack open during a short haul flight. So a few screws are offset. So if I loosen the screws to open the laptop, I can no longer close it. Meaning, I can't take the drive out and replace it w/ a 500Gb SSD for e.g. In fact, if I open the casing, that's the end of the laptop.

the machine as you have read from the specification c/w a 256GB SSD. So there is no reason that Lenovo would hide some partition, waiting for some customer to format it. These laptop are sold to everyone, they don't expect regular customer knows how to view or retrieve hidden partition. Needless to say, the entire 256GB should be ready to use when the box was first open.
Cool good luck with your police report.

look in device manager or disk management and see what it actually is. maybe it was imaged wrong, maybe you did get scammed but you need to see what the drive actually is before spazzin out. if it was damaged in shipping, just send it back.

I can't send it back. This was purchased back in 2019. I can only file a police report. The laptop was rarely used. The fraud was discovered when windows 10 says low on disk space the other day.

I'll check the drive later. But these laptop were built on the robot assembly line. There is no way Lenovo would suddenly has 1 laptop mysteriously set to a 42GB and left the rest of the SSD un-partition and all the other millions of laptops on the assembly line done properly.

Show us a picture of disk management please. Most likely option is Lenovo started you off with a recovery partition, but it was too small and Windows added another one, but something something and now you've got 7 recovery partitions.

Show us a picture of disk management please. Most likely option is Lenovo started you off with a recovery partition, but it was too small and Windows added another one, but something something and now you've got 7 recovery partitions.

42.8 GiB converts to almost 46GB, I've never seen an SSD with that physical size before. It has to be partitioned in some way.

I can't send it back. This was purchased back in 2019. I can only file a police report. The laptop was rarely used. The fraud was discovered when windows 10 says low on disk space the other day.

I'll check the drive later. But these laptop were built on the robot assembly line. There is no way Lenovo would suddenly has 1 laptop mysteriously set to a 42GB and left the rest of the SSD un-partition and all the other millions of laptops on the assembly line done properly.

please post a recording of the officer laughing at you when you try to file this report so we can all join in with the officer laughing at you. even if they were going to care you're well past the point of them doing anything. you waited over 2 years to report a supposed fraud, chalk it up to being an irresponsible consumer and move on.

and yes it is possible the wrong drive image was used setting up the device if there were multiple sku's being run that day, shit happens.

please post a recording of the officer laughing at you when you try to file this report so we can all join in with the officer laughing at you. even if they were going to care you're well past the point of them doing anything. you waited over 2 years to report a supposed fraud, chalk it up to being an irresponsible consumer and move on.

and yes it is possible the wrong drive image was used setting up the device if there were multiple sku's being run that day, shit happens.
I'm not convinced this isn't some troll AI that leaked out of a lab... don't invest too heavily in solving a problem someone is resistant to solving.

As others have said, would love to find out more info about exactly what drive is in there. download CrystalDiskInfo and see what it says.

If all else fails, you can get a 256GB SSD on eBay for like $20.

It's also possible that somebody bought the laptop, swapped out the drive, re-imaged it and then returned it to NE.

NE has nothing to do with assembling the laptops so it is highly unlikely that NE had anything to do with it.

Plus, if it was happening a lot, then it would have been noticed fairly quickly and there would have been actual information, a recall, whatever.

But there isn't.

Either OP is a troll or there is something else that happened to the laptop before OP received the laptop.

the laptop was sealed back in 2019 when arrived. Now, you people knows that all laptop are assembled at the assembly line by robotics. So if Lenovo screws up the drive on the assembly line, there would be a recall. The police actually call back the same day, and I got his name and he'll be talking to Newegg

See I know I notice it 4 yr. later, but it's not my job to do the job for newegg, THEY have to be the one to make sure what they list on the website is what's in the box, not me.

the laptop was sealed back in 2019 when arrived. Now, you people knows that all laptop are assembled at the assembly line by robotics. So if Lenovo screws up the drive on the assembly line, there would be a recall. The police actually call back the same day, and I got his name and he'll be talking to Newegg

See I know I notice it 4 yr. later, but it's not my job to do the job for newegg, THEY have to be the one to make sure what they list on the website is what's in the box, not me.
It is NE job to open ever laptop they receive to make sure the components match the product?! Again did you check disk management to see if it is partition like it been recommended in this thread several times? I sure hope the cop goes and arrests the CEO of NE over a $50 SSD for something that is not even their fault.

It is NE job to open ever laptop they receive to make sure the components match the product?! Again did you check disk management to see if it is partition like it been recommended in this thread several times? I sure hope the cop goes and arrests the CEO of NE over a $50 SSD for something that is not even their fault.
well, it can't be my job, as I'm just a consumer. As soon as I get back to the office, I'll check that laptop

if you study business law, the way it legally works is that for the seller who received $1330 from me, it's 100% their job to make sure what they advertise is what they sell. I have no legal obligation to check anything. Now, realistically, I never check all my purchase as I trust the seller. For e.g., say I just bought a i5 at 3.8GHz from newegg, I'm not going to check to make sure it's 3.8GHz, it could be 2.8GHZ and I would never know.

Anyhoo, I finally have time to go to the office and find out what happens:

it IS a 256GB SSD, but 200GB of it is unformatted

so this is unheard of, and newegg is 100% liable. These are the problems created:

1) Windows 10 takes up 25GB, along w/ other application s/w, so why would anyone format the 1st petition to be 42.8GB and leave the rest unformat? don't tell me Lenovo makes a mistake like that. This is clearly someone at newegg swap a drive, and forgot to format it.

2) a 256GB should be in 1 single petition, why would anyone who install windows NOT put the whole thing in 1 petition, since it's only 256GB? all my 1TB drive are in 1 petition, so now I have no way to merge the petition, I don't own Petition Magic, and quite frankly , I don't trust Petition magic anyway, too dicey to use

3) the date of the crash when there is 0 byte left, the person at the office has to use it for a few urgent task, so they end up paying someone to install a SD Card that is compatible w/ the embedded reader speed

after the police report, newegg actually has the backbone to call me and try to fix this

newegg actually has the backbone to call me and try to fix this
more than they need to do. youre way out of line on this. it is your responsibility to ensure you got what you paid for, "buyer beware". you also could have fucked it up somehow in the years youve owned. just wipe the drive, reload windows and move on. holy fuck...

no, not at all. I am the buyer, I paid $1330, I expected everything to be the way they advertise. This is not a $13 purchase, $1330 is a lot of $. They collect that kind of money, they have to live up to the responsibility of $1330. It's like anything else, the more you pay, the higher the expectation.

You buy a $800 fridge from GE, you shouldn't expect anything but the basic function

But if you buy a $12,000 fridge from Miele, you would expect a lot more.

can you name a laptop that somehow the drive is not petition? How does people use a drive w/o petition? they sell these laptop to customers, they shouldn't expect all clients to be in IT, and knows what a petition is.

Still waiting for a picture from drive management. Just one partition on a 2019? Laptop is highly unusual. I don't think anyone is installing Windows like that, certainly not an OEM. I don't know why you think NewEgg would have opened the laptop to swap the drive or mess with the windows installation? A lot can happen to a computer in 3 years, how does anyone know that you or your staff/coworkers didn't mess with it since then --- NewEgg had an obligation to deliver the product as invoiced, but 3 years later, we have no idea if they did or not, but I think you'll have a hard time in court when you noticed a problem so far after the sale.

Anyway, why not just extend the partition now that you've noticed the problem?

2) a 256GB should be in 1 single petition, why would anyone who install windows NOT put the whole thing in 1 petition, since it's only 256GB? all my 1TB drive are in 1 petition, so now I have no way to merge the petition, I don't own Petition Magic, and quite frankly , I don't trust Petition magic anyway, too dicey to use

Just extend the partition in disk management if it’s sitting there unused.

An out of warranty laptop is the etailers responsibility somehow? Sorry, but that's not how it works. It's your responsibility to make sure your computer works as it should. Assuming it will because of the amount of money you spent is naive at best.

For future reference, avoid the following. Failing to check your rig over during its return period. This is your first form of recourse if you are unhappy with your product. This is generally limited to a 30 day period. Reading and understanding the etailers return policy is a consumer responsibility.

You failed to check your rig over during its warranty period. This is your only remaining form of recourse once the return period has passed. No self respecting CS manager is going to extend your warranty period simply because you tell them Newegg reformatted your SSD. They will laugh at you. Saying, Newegg did it not me, isn't going to move them. Contacting them during the warranty period is your only hope.
Reading and understanding your warranty rights is your responsibility. At this point the store/ manufacturer doesn't have to help you in any way shape or form. If they do, they are being incredibly generous.

Bottom line, you failed to do your due diligence. Live and learn, shrug it off, it happens.

Try what's been suggested to make your problem go away (it's easy).

Again how is it NE fault that you didn't get what you ordered? You said it came sealed didn't you? The manufacturer messed up so where or you did. Mistakes happen. You are really over reacting over nothing. I honestly don't know how you even go 4 years without noticing the drive is only 40gb. There is no fraud here. What do you expect NE to do at this point after 4 years. What do you expect the police to do other then waster their time?

it IS a 256GB SSD, but 200GB of it is unformatted
oh good, just like I assumed in post #3. Glad it is sorted at least so this thread can close.
so this is unheard of, and newegg is 100% liable.
oh.
These are the problems created:

1) Windows 10 takes up 25GB, along w/ other application s/w, so why would anyone format the 1st petition to be 42.8GB and leave the rest unformat? don't tell me Lenovo makes a mistake like that. This is clearly someone at newegg swap a drive, and forgot to format it.

3) the date of the crash when there is 0 byte left, the person at the office has to use it for a few urgent task, so they end up paying someone to install a SD Card that is compatible w/ the embedded reader speed

after the police report, newegg actually has the backbone to call me and try to fix this
So fix the problem. Your lack of trust in one software or knowledge of another is no one's fault. It's a 3 minute fix without any additional software. I'll keep an eye out for the Judge Judy case if you end up taking this to court though.

Now, realistically, I never check all my purchase as I trust the seller.
Found the problem. Classic "it's never my fault or responsibility" attitude of today's "new age" way of thinking. I'm sure OP has never made a mistake in their life, too, so it is absolutely inexcusable for anyone else to make one and they must pay dearly for it.
OP never even realized the usable space was smaller than it was supposed to be for 3+ years, yet now that he suddenly discovers this, it's the end of the world? Really? lol
OP: Grow up and take responsibility for your mistakes. You failed to check that you received what you purchased 3 years ago. That is 100% on you and you alone. Trust, but verify.

I sometimes think OG era Hard members would be more savvy but things like this cast doubt :p

Btw a good reason to have the system in a smaller partition is for imaging purposes. Can backup and restore just that partition quickly without touching a data partition. That said I'd partition it closer to 100GB for headroom.

How do people that know nothing about how a computer works or even basic formatting or partitioning even find this forum to begin with? Imagine filing a police report and going through all that for someone to tell you "oh click here and you can see the rest of your drive".

This was fun to read through though, was a classic karen at the best buy service desk scenario. Thank god the OP is too young to have been around when the fights between bits and bytes on hard drive sizes were a thing.

lmaoooooooooooooooooooo
I can't say I'm surprised based on other things I've seen him post.

Newegg really are scum though.
When I bought my 3090 they forced me to bundle it with 32GB (2 x 16GB) memory, but gave me 16GB (2 x 8GB) memory. And would not fix it unless I sent the 3090 back.... I'm pretty sure they did it on purpose hoping no customer would look at the memory because they didn't want it to begin with.
They also sent an HDMI to VGA dongle with it which is essentially e-waste. Something people haven't needed for 15 years. If you did need one now you would already have one.

So in one purchase newegg forced bundling which is pretty scummy to begin with, committed fraud by purposely sending the wrong item, and used customers as an e-waste dump by sending 30 year old adapters.

So I never buy anything from newegg and always recommend people never do. (unless it's a GPU that's sold out everywhere else and it's your only option)

My guess, its a much larger SSD just setup badly, as already mentioned.
Reason we need to guess is because OP wont even help himself by checking its actual size! Yet is prepared to report a theft/scam to police, with zero evidence they can use lol.
Almost every thread I read of his makes me cringe, I expect it. No disappointment here lol.

Back