Frank's 2013 upgrade.......

Yeah.. it has been a while since I have been on this forum. Yeah that carpet looks like it would be hard to roll around on, work on, etc.

Mountain mods case ordered! The build is on - other items ordered today as well, the only thing major left is the GPU waterblocks. I wrote EVGA about their hydro-coppers to see if they are compatible with the 4G and to see when they are in stock - so we shall see how that goes. For now I have most items now on order to start the case modification and then the migration. So fingers crossed, this build is on again.........................new pics are sure to follow

Just so you know, the EVGA hydro-coppers are the same as the swiftech komodo.

So chances are, if the swiftech komodo did not work, EVGA will most likely not work either.
They are just a rebrand.

Just so you know, the EVGA hydro-coppers are the same as the swiftech komodo.

So chances are, if the swiftech komodo did not work, EVGA will most likely not work either.
They are just a rebrand.

I checked Swiftech's website - they do show the Komodo's and they do look much like the EVGA ones, however they have nothing showing for the 600 series. It appears as if the only things I could find on their site for full block coverage was for the 7970's and other ATI/AMD cards. Nothing "Nvidia" based was available within the 600 series cards at all.

I think I know the fittings I will be using in this new build considering that I will be using the 3M DiNoc Carbon fiber wrap on the case - its only "fitting" that the compression connections have some "carbon fiber" touch to them as well.

I found these at Performance PC's (linking the images they have here)
cff-mb-rd-1234-6_03.jpg

cff-mb-rd-1234-6_06.jpg

One thing that is really appealing about these connectors is they obviously were made by someone who understood how badly compression connections in a full out build can chew up the fingers. Their slogan "Don't be a tool" lol, with that direct "we understand your pain" mindset, I cannot resist trying them out. I love my Bitspower fittings, and will need to be using them in various areas as well, but these are just perfect for Frank's 2013 upgrade in places like the CPU block, the motherboard block, etc. Those "Pretty places" we will see much of. I think the contrasting red/black works well with the theme and the carbon fiber simply adds to the over all look of Frank.

Yes, one user here got me interested in the Carbon Fiber 3M DiNoc film and I am going Carbon Fiber this year. I have some less expensive wrap I will be doing the desk in to match. The 3M DiNoc is crazy expensive, but the quality difference is apparent just looking at it. I have both here right now and I cannot wait to start working with that 3M stuff on the case. It may be expensive and the stuff many car modders use on their cars internal and external, but I can see why, its amazing stuff. The vibrance of the black gloss and the textured feel is pretty dang cool TBH. I know that it will take an otherwise unappealing cube and make it something a bit more striking an unique with the potential ideas I have on where and how to use it. Contrasting will of course be the red accent colors used, keeping with Frank's Red/Black theme, just adding in texture of Carbon fiber now.

I will get some shots of the 3M DiNoc versus the cheaper solutions so you all can see the difference. I think the cheaper solutions will work better for the desk, though it may not be as durable as the 3M stuff, it should work for the light things I do with my desk.

As with most of my builds, many times I start looking and thinking I am going to do "this" and at the last moment, make a 90 degree turn and do something else. Well this was the case with the CPU water block as I pulled the trigger on a new one yesterday and it was not the EK one being discussed previously - no, I still have my affinity for Watercool products and could not see Frank without, so we picked up the following block yesterday at my favorite place to spend my hard earned money - PPCS.

Watercool HEATKILLER® CPU Rev3.0 1366 Ni-BL CPU Water Block
GTXREV-1366_01.jpg

I am also checking with EVGA to see really what the difference is between "Reference Design" boards and these 4G boards and if its simply an upgrade on the memory chips, if so any reference design should work just fine. EVGA's Hydro-Copper blocks are out of stock everywhere, the Swiftech Komodo versions not even showing up on Swiftech's website, so that is out of the question atm as well. If the reference design blocks will work with these cards, I can bet you I am going Watercool again and getting the new Watercool connector block.

UPDATE: OK, so the Mountain Mods case was ordered, then I decided to ask if I could have the solid panel hole cut for the MO-RA3. Watercool is the best, they got me a template that I sent MM to see if they could cut me a hole for that radiator. Well the good news is yes they can, the bad news is that I will now be delayed by 4-6 weeks before it arrives now that I want them to cut that out for the radiator. All in all though I would certainly think it was the best choice as opposed to trying to find a local machinist as I do not carry the tools necessary to do a professional job in making that cut myself. MM knows their cases, their case materials and are the best suited IMO to do the cut out - so I will wait for it to be done - THEN the build is on!

Also, thanks for the Komodo information on the EVGA water blocks. I have asked EVGA what really makes these cards different. After other discussions it is my determination that reference blocks are compatible and I am willing to take that plunge - so if reference design blocks will in fact work with these GTX 680's - guess where I first ran back to? Oh yeah, you all know how much I love my Watercool Heatkillers don't you? Uh huh! Hey Stat - how's those GTX 580's coming along, I need to sell one ASAP to buy my Heatkillers, your holding up progress here man! The guy in Norway backed out of the ERM deal, so I need to get that sold ASAP or a GTX 580 so I can get those sexy Black/Nickel Hole edition GTX 680 water blocks......................I am also selling the Silverstone ST1500W PSU, and the Saitek Cyborg V7 Keyboard from last build, and yes, if anyone wants the Silverstone, it will come with Frank's famous sewn Black/Red cables, just note, even though I ran Frank on those cables I release all responsibility/liability if they do not work for you or mess something up - lol, I am not liable (But I know they are good cables, just a CYA I am sure you understand), but would be willing to put them in the Silverstone deal. OK done hocking my goods, back to the build...........

Last edited:
Not going to lie, most of the time I just skip over the writing and stare at the photos. Those fittings look freaking sweet.

Not going to lie, most of the time I just skip over the writing and stare at the photos. Those fittings look freaking sweet.

LMAO, I bet you love picture books huh? :eek: ;) j/k

Yeah, I had the same reaction as I hit "Add to Cart"..........

OK, it is official - Reference Design blocks will work on my GTX 680's, Heatkillers, here I come...................

I think I am going to find someone local here that does laser cutting. I found the perfect very thin LED strip that is about 1/2" wide that would fit under that top chrome back plate. I am thinking of having "Frank N SteinPC" cut out of the top backplates, lay a red LED strip below the cover and have it lit on each water block. Yes? No? Thoughts?

Picture time......(I aim to please)

hkbackplategtx68002.jpg

With this connector:
GPU_X3_MULTILINK_01.jpg

And here are the blocks to be ordered
GTX680_HE_NIBl_01.jpg

And here is the case on order, waiting for the custom cut on the solid right panel to allow me to mount the MO-RA3 on.
franksdigs.jpg

Comparing the carbon fiber wrap I have purchased for this project:
carbonfiberwrap.jpg

Now on to the fans being used on the MO-RA3
sku EFX-12-15
rated dba 15
dimensions 120x120x25mm
rpm 1400
cfm 74
operating voltage 6-12v
current draw 0.11A
power consumption 1.32w
bearings 3rd generation fluid dynamic bearings

mora3fans001.jpg

mora3fans002.jpg

mora3fans003.jpg

These fans currently on the radiator (the gold SilenX fans that are deeper than the ones above) will be removed and either used as the "inside" or not visible fans between the 360 radiator and the case or sold. They were never really used, so they are basically new and should work great in the case if I paint the sides black, they should blend right in.

These will go, the red/black fans above will go on here. Then I will put the mesh on top of them. This is what is being mounted on the "Rear" of that mountain mods case I am having modified to mount this radiator to on that solid aluminum panel.These images were when I was building Vampi - may she rest in piece as well. That PC ended up being converted back to air, and given to my daughter who needed an upgrade, so she now runs the 975X, the Classified 3, 8GB of Mushkin Redline, SSD for boot, and dual WD VelociRaptors in RAID 0 for programs and one of the GTX 580 1.5G cards I had. lol, and she uses it for Facebook and web surfing, go figure....... However the rest of Vampi's parts are still here untouched and ready for re-use within Frank's build.

vampihtpcradnfans01.jpg

vampihtpcradnfans02.jpg

Last edited:
Cav, have you seen/tried out 3m di-noc red carbon fiber? Thinking about getting some for my desk/computer depending on cost.

Loving the attention to detail and the carbon fiber looks nice.
Your work is inspiring me to at least clean up the wiring in my rigs. Well, that and it's a nice outlet for stress.

Those compression fittings are cool. Nice build.
I cannot wait to get them in my hands and check them out - yeah, whomever created these knew watercooling and the chewed up fingers that go with compression fittings. So I am anxious to try them out, I love new innovative ideas and the advancement in ways and areas otherwise thought to be just what it is. Kudos to those guys, I love supporting fresh new ideas and if they work well for me, I have no qualms in shouting to the world wonderful accolades to the revolutionary design I believe them to be.

Cav, have you seen/tried out 3m di-noc red carbon fiber? Thinking about getting some for my desk/computer depending on cost.
As you can see from the images above, I have both a cheap roll of knock off carbon fiber wrap, which is a 24" x 48" roll and the more expensive 3M kind. That was $18 each and I have two. That is the cheap stuff that I will use on my desk. The 3M DiNOC stuff on the other hand is crazy expensive I think. For basicaly the same roll, it was like $38. Handling it though, its obviously worth the extra. The cheaper is more like plastic thin paper, where the 3M stuff is nicely textured and thicker and most certainly plyable vinyl. The quality and difference is night and day, so if you can go 3M do it. No I have not seen the red. I may check it out though, maybe use the red instead of red paint to do the accents - now there is an idea........

UPDATE: OK, you convinced me, I just ordered the red as well. $40.38 for a 4ft x 2ft roll + shipping on eBay. Will supply pics when it arrives and will let you know how it does when I get to start working with it.

I have the white version of those fittings. They are great to work with.

Awesome man, thanks for the thoughts and feedback on these form someone who actually has them, it just makes me wanna put my fingers on them even more now. :D

Loving the attention to detail and the carbon fiber looks nice.
Your work is inspiring me to at least clean up the wiring in my rigs. Well, that and it's a nice outlet for stress.

Very nice, always great to return some inspiration back to my fellow PC builders, as this forum has served me the same doese of inspiration many times. Had it not been for [H] and Million Dollar PC's, I would never have known this side of PC building was possible, much less so much fun. I have always built pretty stout performing machines, but the last build of Frank allowed me to take it much further then I have ever done before. I also learned it was very theraputic for me as I began excercising my creativity, the ideas just flowed, when done, my business benefited as well because I knew that what I envisioned, I could make a reality and that translated into my real life as well. It is so good on so many levels I think.

This build is shaping up to be my most epic build ever, which I can thank [H] for the "Post your workstation" thread for keeping that fire alive in me to not sit back and just rest on what was, indeed, it has pushed me forward to what can be now. So I am glad you got inspired to clean up cables, imagine what else you can do now!! Inspiration has no limits except for those you put on yourself. So rock on man, keep up the tidy PC and thanks for being a part of the thread.

Last edited:
UPDATE: OK, you convinced me, I just ordered the red as well. $40.38 for a 4ft x 2ft roll + shipping on eBay. Will supply pics when it arrives and will let you know how it does when I get to start working with it.

You'll figure this out when you get it but the red di-noc is based on white film so shows white on the edges. A red sharpie covers it well but is a pain.

Steve

Cav, do you mind telling us what desk it is you are using?

The red one w. your 27 inch monitor on it?

Cav, do you mind telling us what desk it is you are using?

The red one w. your 27 inch monitor on it?

Red & Black - lol, I painted and combined two desks.

Meritline Computer Corner Desk
http://www.frys.com/product/4491056?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG
Mfr: COMPTREE Model: B-007
FRYS.com #4491056 UPC: 834784011118

I actually have taken two of these desks, the long side of both to create the current desk. The keyboard tray is a side to a shelf I used to have that sat on another desk that I used in place of that little short keyboard tray. As you can see I have another board on top of that right now because I need more room there. That will replace the old board under it. All I have to do is attach the board you see to the rails and drill new holes to mount it under the desk. This will happen when I mod the desk or when the board pisses me off enough because I am constantly having to adjust it to stay straight until I get around to changing out the boards. I plan on doing the carbon fiber wrap on it as well.

You'll figure this out when you get it but the red di-noc is based on white film so shows white on the edges. A red sharpie covers it well but is a pain.

Steve

Steve, much appreciated on the potential issue I may face and the easy solution to it. That is what makes these forums so awesome is the feedback and bi-directional learning we all gain and give here. Dude +1 to you - thanks.

I think you should do the laser cutting. That would be sweet with the back lighting. I am very interested to see how that case will turn out!

I think you should do the laser cutting. That would be sweet with the back lighting. I am very interested to see how that case will turn out!

I had that idea, then I got an email from Watercool. As with most things in my builds, I get heading one direction and its not uncommon to make 90 turns and head another.

I have to say that I was fortunate and grateful to begin having direct communication with a person at Watercool. What a great company if this person is any indication of their overall people there. This guy is awesome and just solidifies my love for Watercool products - and no they are not "sponsoring" me so lets get that straight up front, They are simply working with me to ensure I get what I need and that I am taken care of. My respect and appreciation just increased by this direct contact because it simply reflects their professionalism and attention to detail.

So now that I am done saying how I feel about Watercool, now let me explain what direction I went. I can thank StatutoryApe for the assistance in pulling my head out of Castle font and getting to a more Art Deco font style. So this was quickly changed on the custom etching as well on the Mountain Mods case so it matches. What I have discussed with Watercool is doing a custom set of back plates for Frank. Sure its going to cost me more to get them printed this way, but I am excited to have these done at Watercool and get Frank some custom screen printed covers. So I fired off a first draft of what I wanted, then I told Stat on Steam, he was like - umm show me. So I sent him the file, he quickly gave his opinion and we discussed a different font, the final decision is below. This is what I will be having done to the custom backplates from Watercool.

Obviously things are subject to change, sizes and placement from the image below, but the image below is the basic idea of the direction I am heading.

frankbackplategtx68001.jpg

NOTE: I listed the GTX 580 3G card on the FS thread here as well as on eBay today. It is currently in route to me from EVGA as a Warranty replacement. Remember I bought a 4th GTX 580 from Amazon? And that card didn't produce video? EVGA being the awesome company they are is replacing it, so this is the in bound item I am selling. Once it arrives I can simply tag it and send it right back out the door. So if you need a GTX 580 3G card at a good price, it doesn't get much better than this............ http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=181059848382

UPDATE:
New order placed @ PPCS for some more item to put into the build - again I feel inclined to say, these images below are being linked from their website, so thanks to PPCs for unknowingly letting me show off what I got there - lol:

Adjustable Cable Clamp for Wiring with Adhesive Bottom 3/4in - Black
Going to be running many cables inside this case, need to make sure they are all tidy and in their place.
AdjustableClamp_t_LRG.jpg

Akasa PaxMate PLUS Premium Noise Reduction Kit Using this to cut a custom gasket between the MO-RA3 and the case. Much like you get rubber gaskets for fans, this will do the same and handle two things, one is obviously the reduction of noise and vibration, the other is to seal the connection between the radiator and the case panel so the fans are more effective at drawing the air out of the case.
paxmateii_01.jpg

Bitspower BP-XSLEDPH-RD X-Station LED Power Hub - Red LED Light
I will have multiple LED lights strategically placed, so this is a good place to connect them all and keep the clutter to a minimum I hope.
BP-XSLEDPH-RD_01.jpg

Bitspower X-Station Multi-PSU Active Module - Red
Considering there will be dual PSU's in this case, I wanted this to assist in firing both up at the same time.
BP-XSPSU-RD_01.jpg

Connectx™ ATX 24 pin Female Pins, GOLD-plated - 24 Pack
I sitll have pins left over from the last build, but these are cheap enough to ensure I have enough.
minifitpins_gold_t_LRG.jpg

Mod/Smart AcrylPanel™ 3mm - 480x480mm Clear
Going to do a custom thing on this and place it between the motherboard and the motherboard tray, light it from underneath to hopefully allow the edges to glow red, this way there is ared glow from under the motherboard.
PPCS-sq480x480-18_01.jpg

ModMyToys Red Carbon Fiber Enhanced Compression Fittings, 1/2" x 3/4" Six Pack - Matte Black
Yeah, discussed on the last page - these are just sexy. I cannot wait to get my fingers on them.
cff-mb-rd-1234-6_02.jpg

Thermaltake RC1600101A MAX-1562 5.25" Mobile Rack - 6x 2.5" Bays
Because the MM case does not have SSD drive bays specifically, this is what I had planned on using anyway. I have a cheaper model by Vantec right now and it only handles 4 SSD's and one of the ports died, so I went with this one - plus its red/black, it was meant for Frank.
RC1600101A_01.jpg

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Cav, do you mind trying to post some pictures of your desk setup. I looked at the provided link, but it only has one really low res aerial shot of it. Thanks.

your builds are pure hardware hedonism. :D

:D ty we feel the same, throw in a little "orgasmic" and we have what is to come................ This build will be EPIC for me. Wait till we get to the cabling, yeah baby, I gots ideas hehe

Cav, do you mind trying to post some pictures of your desk setup. I looked at the provided link, but it only has one really low res aerial shot of it. Thanks.
What exactly are you looking for? Maybe I have already posted it in the Frank 2011 thread. If you can give me an idea of angles or things you want to verify I can try to see if I have done pics before that will answer or if I need to do new ones. I hesitate on new ones right now tbh because everything is so jacked up waiting for this build to progress.

Here are a couple shots before I modded the desk
cyborgv7desk.jpg

frankioarea.jpg

After I modded the desk
frank2011newdigs01.jpg

frank2011cometogether.jpg

img4298t.jpg

Last edited:
Red & Black - lol, I painted and combined two desks.

Meritline Computer Corner Desk
http://www.frys.com/product/4491056?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG
Mfr: COMPTREE Model: B-007
FRYS.com #4491056 UPC: 834784011118

I actually have taken two of these desks, the long side of both to create the current desk. The keyboard tray is a side to a shelf I used to have that sat on another desk that I used in place of that little short keyboard tray. As you can see I have another board on top of that right now because I need more room there. That will replace the old board under it. All I have to do is attach the board you see to the rails and drill new holes to mount it under the desk. This will happen when I mod the desk or when the board pisses me off enough because I am constantly having to adjust it to stay straight until I get around to changing out the boards. I plan on doing the carbon fiber wrap on it as well.

Steve, much appreciated on the potential issue I may face and the easy solution to it. That is what makes these forums so awesome is the feedback and bi-directional learning we all gain and give here. Dude +1 to you - thanks.

Those pictures are great. I also found your 2011 hardware upgrade pics. So no need for any more picks. Btw, i bumped your thread for you.

Thanks for taking the time to take the pics.

Thanks for taking the time to take the pics.

Glad I could assit and thanks for the thread bump in FS, still trying to move those items so I can get the Watercool items paid for. Though, the case isn't going to arrive for another 4-6 weeks, then its go time.

Talking to Stat today I realized that my last 3 major upgrades were related to Crysis, lol. My first major build of three then four GTX 285's was to rip the original Crysis and the Crysis Warhead games up as the 8800's in SLI I had were not capable, the dual 9800GX2's I had could barely do it, it wasn't until the GTX 285's was I able to enjoy it in all its glory, but with some lag still. Then the Crysis 2 release was coming, so Frank got new hardware, then a new case, etc to get ready for Crysis 2 with the three GTX 580's, and then that is when I took my building entirely to the next level in that thread. Now here we are, 1 year and a few months later and I am preparing for Crysis 3 which I have had on back order since last July. So I would say it is safe to say that if Crytek is releasing a new game, Frank is getting an upgrade because I want to be able to play it @ full eye candy.

Last edited:
So excited!! Where did you find the cable management loops with adhesive backing? Those would go great for my desk management without using the screw in zip ties I bought at work today -.-

So excited!! Where did you find the cable management loops with adhesive backing? Those would go great for my desk management without using the screw in zip ties I bought at work today -.-

Adjustable Cable Clamp for Wiring with Adhesive Bottom 3/4in - Blackhttp://www.performance-pcs.com/cata...d=3207&zenid=ceb150512ddb54cb4dbb4a6ece71cc5b

They have a ton of solutions for cable management, both inside and outside the case: http://www.performance-pcs.com/cata...=44_80&zenid=ceb150512ddb54cb4dbb4a6ece71cc5b

Hope that helps - yeah, getting excited yet feeling like I was still in the Army (Huaw). :D aka - Hurry up and wait..................

Now if I can just get that GTX 580 and/or the ERM moved, the Watercool purchase can be put behind me then its really all about waiting on the case to arrive. Which will be around the same time Crysis 3 releases. OMG that is going to suck for priorities.

I know I have shown some things here before, but not in a list as an order I already placed, so here is another order I had placed that is due to arrive today.

Koolance Flow Meter Frequency Adapter for INS-FM17N
This will allow me to monitor the flow speed and plug it into the motherboard so I can use the fans speeds from the MB readings to ensure I still have good flow, set alarms when the speeds drop, etc.
ADT-FM03_01.jpg

Koolance INS-FM17N Coolant Flow Meter [no nozzles]
This will actually be placed within the loop anbd be doing the monitoring
INS-FM17_01.jpg

MNPCTech Billet Machined Aluminum Case Feet w/ Grooved Edges (Set of 4) - Black
These will be the feet for the new case - the cases do not come with feet, allowing you to make your own choice on what you want. Most people I see do casters, and this makes sense if you are going to have it on the floor and need to roll it around. This case will be sitting in a rack shelf, and I would prefer it to be stationary, so I chose these feet.
computer_feet_mnpctech-bk_01.jpg

A.C. Ryan MeshxPanel™ 500x500mm - BlackYep - I have no clue yet how I am going to do this, but I hope to use this mesh, do my own bending to create a 9x120 screen which I can place filters between this mesh and the case to keep the dust out, so these mesh panels hopefully will become my fan covers for the front.
ACR-XP0748_01.jpg

PrimoFlex Advanced LRT Tubing - 3/8in. ID X 1/2in. OD - Bloodshed Red
I had to try this red tubing, it just seems perfect for color contrast in that mirror black case with the carbon fiber stuff I am going to do. Plus it is supposed ot be transparent, which was one thing I hated with colored tubing, because I want to know if there is an air buble in there I need to assit in exiting.
advancedtubing-red_01.jpg

Phobya Y-Cable 3Pin Molex to 3x 3Pin Molex 60cm - UV RedI hope these are everything I expect them to be and the sleeving doesnt clash with my MDPC red, but figured these Y splitters were needed to bring so many fans together to control them easier.
81128_01.jpg

Fluid XP+ Liquid Cooling Pre-Treatment Kit
Considering I am mixing old and new water cooling pieces, I figured it was time to do a flush and clean once I get the new loop put together. What I may do is simply connect them all without them being on any gear, do the flush, break it all apart, drain, then start the build.
FluidXP-Clean_01.jpg

Watercool HEATKILLER® CPU Rev3.0 1366 Ni-BL CPU Water Block This will replace the current red EK CPU block that has been used in Frank and will match the Watercool Heatkiller GPU blocks. The only water block I will have that isn't Watercool in Frank this round will be the EK motherboard block, but thankfully its black and not as high profile as the CPU and GPU blocks which are going to be this Nickel and Black color scheme.
GTXREV-1366_01.jpg

Another thing I failed to mention was the case handles. I figure this is going to be one heavy @#$%^ case and being that its going to be a mix of the ccarbon fiber we discussed and the shiny mirror black powder coating, I wanted to have some handles for this to be able to pick it up and out of the rack.

So I also ordered these with the case:

LAMPCH1S.jpg

Last edited:
I like how you were using an Eclipse II wrist rest with your Cyborg. :) Two of my favorite KBs.

Those handles are serious business.
I was thinking about your carpet shedding problem (giggity), and though I'd toss in a rec for Home Depot's plain old indoor/outdoor carpet. I dont' know what dimensions you're looking for, but I think they have a range. It's very very close weave, plastic fiber stuff in neutral colors (I think they have a muted red), produces almost no lint by itself, and vacuums up very clean (or at least, it does with my dirt devil). I got an 8'x6' of it to go under my desk/chair pad, for around $20, and I've been very pleased with it.

I like how you were using an Eclipse II wrist rest with your Cyborg. :) Two of my favorite KBs.

Yeah I just found my Eclipse II digging for parts to sell, that got put back, still love that keyboard not selling it. The Cyborg v7 though is out the door as soon as I can find it a good home. The wrist rest on it was made for gaming and they cut out the place I rest my hand for typing in the middle, so that was why the convergence of the two, then eventually the Fellows red gel rest was used. The Cyborg v7 was nice, but the wrist rest killed it for me, not a good k/b for work and gaming. Gaming, it was awesome, but like this G19 I have now, its great for everything.

Those handles are serious business.
I was thinking about your carpet shedding problem (giggity), and though I'd toss in a rec for Home Depot's plain old indoor/outdoor carpet. I dont' know what dimensions you're looking for, but I think they have a range. It's very very close weave, plastic fiber stuff in neutral colors (I think they have a muted red), produces almost no lint by itself, and vacuums up very clean (or at least, it does with my dirt devil). I got an 8'x6' of it to go under my desk/chair pad, for around $20, and I've been very pleased with it.

Beastly handles for a Frank N Stein Beast build lol.

That is right along the thoughts I was having too. I have a Home Depot around the corner. I was going to see what some neutral indoor/outdoor carpet they had like their left overs, etc was and see if something would work. I would love to find a 12' x 8' or a 12' x 10' piece, that would work well in here.

Great idea though. We are typically clean freaks though, live in the house like we are showing it to sell tomorrow kind of thing. So this carpet is a serious challenge for us and goes against what feels comfortable to us. During the desk mod when I tear it down, that will probably be the time the carpet finds itself in a garage sale (and I find all the things I have lost in it). :eek:

I feel like with so many fans this case might get a little loud?

Also the watercooling stuff goes right over my head haha. Can't wait to see you start to build this.

I feel like with so many fans this case might get a little loud?

Also the watercooling stuff goes right over my head haha. Can't wait to see you start to build this.

Did you notice the fans? Those babies at full throttle do 15db, meaning they are quiet in comparrisson to most case fans which are around twice that noise level or more. I plan on running them 1/2 speed for daily running, so that should net me around 10db or virtually silent. Now moving to the front of the case, I will have the ones I use now in there and I can say they run full speed now and I have conference calls and no one hears them, I game and no one hears them. Are they silent? No, but they are not bad. I have a contractor grade bathroom vent in my private bathroom behind me, I can hear it running over Frank that sits next to me. Frank currently is running 3x Push/3x Pull 120mm Xigmatech Crystal Series fans that do 18dba each. I also have 3x 140mm fans in there that do 20dba each and yet another 120mm fan in there. Standing in the hallway between my office and the loft where my wife's office is, I can hear her OEM case fans running louder than Frank in my office.

So yeah, it may appear to be a ton of fans, yes I will be moving a ton of air, but I think its going to be tollerable if not minimal. This is why I will be using fan controllers as well to run most of them at 1/2 speed, that should make them all virtually silent and only need to go full bore when I game for extended periods or benchmark or am doing some rendering, which most of the time the Razer headphones are cranking, so IDC about the noise tbh, I won't hear them anyway.

Did you notice the fans? Those babies at full throttle do 15db, meaning they are quiet in comparrisson to most case fans which are around twice that noise level or more. I plan on running them 1/2 speed for daily running, so that should net me around 10db or virtually silent. Now moving to the front of the case, I will have the ones I use now in there and I can say they run full speed now and I have conference calls and no one hears them, I game and no one hears them. Are they silent? No, but they are not bad. I have a contractor grade bathroom vent in my private bathroom behind me, I can hear it running over Frank that sits next to me. Frank currently is running 3x Push/3x Pull 120mm Xigmatech Crystal Series fans that do 18dba each. I also have 3x 140mm fans in there that do 20dba each and yet another 120mm fan in there. Standing in the hallway between my office and the loft where my wife's office is, I can hear her OEM case fans running louder than Frank in my office.

So yeah, it may appear to be a ton of fans, yes I will be moving a ton of air, but I think its going to be tollerable if not minimal. This is why I will be using fan controllers as well to run most of them at 1/2 speed, that should make them all virtually silent and only need to go full bore when I game for extended periods or benchmark or am doing some rendering, which most of the time the Razer headphones are cranking, so IDC about the noise tbh, I won't hear them anyway.

Ah, well that is nice. I don't use headphones so I don't have that luxury unfortunately. However, I did get 4 cooler master fans and thought they were pretty quiet but I guess they aren't. They aren't loud at all but compared to the 3 fans I had in the case before, these 5 in the case now are noticeably louder.

FYI - still hocking my parts to pay for this addiction and the necessary $$ flow to get the Watercool order placed.

If you know of anyone that could use some of the following, I have listed additional items for sale.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1738768
GTX 465 (barely ever used, tried it as a PhysX card then pulled out of an AMD rig and never used again, AMD didn't want to play nice) @ $99
GT 520 (Barely used, works great) @ $30 (remember this card in the 2011 build? Yep, still sitting ready to go to a new home)
Razer Sound Card @ $30
Koolance 140mm Radiator (has a couple fins smooshed, otherwise in great condition) @ $30
Swiftech 3x120 Radiator barely used - perfect condition @ $30 - SOLD

I got an email from Mountain Mods Friday that informed me that my idea of moving that front panel to the side and making it the front, where the I/O panel is either on the right of left side wasn't possible without a modification to the current standard design. Basically put, it will cost an additional $200 basically (rounded off) to do the MO-RA3LT cut in the side panel and the custom panel needed for the "Front" to also be modular. WOW, so umm, I need to sell some goodies fast to get this modification in queue so we can get rolling on this build sooner than later. Right now I am still looking at 4-6 weeks once it is put in the queue, and they are not doing so until I obviously pay for the custom work. Just saying that this is the current hold up, we will keep forging ahead as I know eBay will move the items I need moved to in order to make this happen.

Just letting you all know the situation and the current state of this build.

Last edited:
I wish I had the money for one of the cards :/ would love to help fund franks upgrades ;)

I wish I had the money for one of the cards :/ would love to help fund franks upgrades ;)

I understand, been there and know the feeling - I too used to be on the other side of the builds going "OMFG - drools", so no worries at all. I sincerly appreciate your input and being a part of this thread, so thank you.

Thanks for the sentiments, please pass it along to others you may know that may want to grab some good gear at great prices. Its not like you can find these GTX 580's right now and the ones you can are $485+ so these are going at great prices just to move them, along with many other things I am moving out the door. The ERM unit is a steal for those who may want one, and the rest of the items, including the GTX 465 are going cheap cheap cheap. Yeah, I gotta get this build going..............

:)

UPDATE:

Mountain Mods will be hopefully solified tonight and things in queue to be built, so we are about 4-6 weeks away unless they take pity and decide to get it going sooner - hmm, wonder if a petition from multiple parties would assist them in bumpin gup the priority of this mod? lol, what about a flood of emails from figeting forum lurkers saying "Get the Frank N Stein mod done, we cannot wait" lol, ok there is a bit of dreaming out loud, but wouldn't that be funny, I am sure MM would wonder WTF........... So one more big thing to go and that is to sell some of the gear to get the $500 needed for Watercool............... Come on Amazon! (yep trying my luck on Amazon versus eBay, nothing was looking like it was moving there). I left the ERM unit on eBay though because I had a couple watchers, quite possibly they could be waiting to snipe it at the end, we shall see. If this is the case, then within the next few days we should have the Watercool order under way as well. Which actualy I am waiting on them to tell me when those beautiful looking cards will be back in stock, it should be this week, so things appear to be converging as needed.

I have received a lot of the PPCS orders and I will be doing pictures soon of the items I received. I can say those Monsoon fittings with the red Carbon Fiber touch are really nice. OMG I wish they made 90 degree swivels like my favorite Bitspower ones, combine the Bitspower 90 swivels I use now with the black and red carbon fiber touch Monsoon gave these, and that would be a sweet fitting IMO. But for now I will have to mix and match. That Watercool CPU block is also simply stunning, I am so excited, I cannot wait to get this build on.

Keep checking back, more to come.........

Last edited:
Mountain Mods will be hopefully solified tonight and things in queue to be built, so we are about 4-6 weeks away unless they take pity and decide to get it going sooner - hmm, wonder if a petition from multiple parties would assist them in bumpin gup the priority of this mod?
Have they seen the magazine cover the last Frank was on? I think it would be beneficial to them to get it expedited for a chance their products would be featured on the front page of a major publication.

Have they seen the magazine cover the last Frank was on? I think it would be beneficial to them to get it expedited for a chance their products would be featured on the front page of a major publication.

Yeah, they know this is for "Frank" - but I also understand, they have a queue and currently we are working out some additional configuration tweaks to allow me to use the case as I want. So this is what the hold up is currently, I was able to sell one GTX 580 3G so that allowed me the $$$ to get MM going on the custom things. I am still working on the ERM unit and the Refurbished EVGA Warranty Replacement GTX 580 to sell which will let me make that final order to Watercool and one more order to PPCS. Then the build should move forward once MM gets me the case.

Back