frame rate is important?

Dreamsbetray

Limp Gawd
im playing call of duty 2 with full setting looks great but my frame rate is only 35 but i dont see the need for higher frame rates
y 60 frame rate or higer is necessary in games?

It's not necessary. Frame rate is a personal preference for what is "good and playable". If you love 35fps in your games, that's fine.

Enjoy! :D

Dreamsbetray said:
but can u explain what exactly frame rates do in games?
:confused:

Think of it like a movie - its a like series of pictures shown one after the other very quickly, to simulate (fool the brain into thinking) smooth motion and movement. So 20 FPS (frames per second) means 20 pictures per second, so every 0.05 of a second a new picture is shown.

Now old fashioned televisions would have a "sort of" motion blur built in, where 24 FPS was sufficient for a mostly watchable movie.

However in games motion blur is not like that of old time televisions, you can say it has no motion blur, thus you need a higher amount of frames per second to simulate smooth movement. It varies from person to person, 45+ fps should satisfy the average person.

Now for fast paced games, like first person shooters, generally the more FPS you have (not true for all games but most) the better it is for aiming and such due to the responsiveness of the game being higher.

Lets say you only have 10 FPS, it means that someone on your screen in a certain potsition may not be there anymore, you have to wait a whole 0.1 of a second to see his new location.

Try raising your resolution to 1600x1200 and putting on max AA and AF, you should then get an idea of how FPS makes a difference.

Maybe you get the idea, if not I think someone who is better versed in this sort of thing should explain it to you :p

I've played games where the game where anything less than 30 is unplayable. Other times i've played games that dip as low as 15 and i hardly notice it and still be able to shoot straight.

Framerate really isn't as important as latency. What most people seem to fail to realize is that a 20fps game can still be very playable, provided that the controls stays responsive. I've had people complaining about lag when their FPS is low, but telling them to set the screen buffer to 0 from the control panel usually fixes it (Go ahead, try it).

The thing is, frame buffer is good for smoother frame rates, but it also means you're seeing screens from atleast three frames ago. When the frame rate drops, the three frame delay becomes very noticeable. Getting rid of the frame buffer means you're seeing the screens as soon as they're drawn.

For me, 30FPS is usually acceptable but I prefer higher when I can go without losing much detail. In games like Oblivion 30FPS is perfect since its not really a fast paced game, heck in Dungeons it sometimes moves too fast. Heck even in a MMORPG, if the game is something like EQ or EQ2 then 30FPS was perfect, never needed more aslong as your internet connection was stable (I began playing the game on a voodoo2).

I think people are just too picky, many games don't require 60FPS to mantain a smooth image.

Fast Pace first peson shooters and Racing simulators are really dependant on Frame Rates, has the guy said above, anything under 60fps is unacceptable to me also, I would reduce the graphics rather then have having a slow game.

This is why I want an AMD FX(any FX version except 53) and X1900XT Crossfire Setup, but unfortantly I dont have the money to buy em :(.

But I will get them someday I can tell you.

Go to this site it will tell you about Frame Rates.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frame_rate

Anything under 30FPS in any game is unacceptable for me. I prefer to at least average 40 FPS though. That way when I "slowdown" happens, hopefully it wont go under 30 and start to lag. This is just my personal preference.

As long as I can play my games comfortably, with minor lags Im happy. It doesn't have to be the smoothest boat but as long as it gets me there. :)

Back