Fractal Design Define S Silent Computer Case - $69.99 ($75.99 Windowed) - Newegg

I bit! I recommend the windowless if you're not all about bling. It includes additional sound insulation material on the panel, making it even quieter. I don't even need one and I bought two, to upgrade older cases, lol!

This is a really nice case if you are watercooling.

I bit! I recommend the windowless if you're not all about bling. It includes additional sound insulation material on the panel, making it even quieter. I don't even need one and I bought two, to upgrade older cases, lol!

This is a really nice case if you are watercooling.
Agree. Looks great for watercooling. Extremely flexible with mounting options and pre-drilled holes on the bottom. I especially like the lack of cages in the front for 360 mm radiator install.

This is tempting, torn between this and the h440/s340. Just all about the bling

I especially like the lack of cages in the front for 360 mm radiator install.
Can go even bigger on top!

Water cooling compatibility - Radiators
  • Front – 360, 280, 240, 140 and 120 mm radiators of all thicknesses
  • Top – 420, 360, 280, 240, 140 and 120 mm radiators. (A thickness limitation of 55mm for both radiator + fan applies on 420, 280 and 140 mm radiators)
  • Bottom – 120 mm radiator (Use of radiators in the bottom position limits the PSU length to 165 mm)
  • Rear – 120 or 140 mm radiator

I have the windowless version and mounted an intake fan on the side panel. Definitely helps keep the GPU temps down since I run SLI. Windowed would be good for water build but I'd say windowless if you're on air. Great case and awesome deal nonetheless.

If this was the R5, I'd be all over it. Good deal for those how don't care about drive bays and want to do water cooling.

If this was the R5, I'd be all over it. Good deal for those how don't care about drive bays and want to do water cooling.
Get yourself one of those super cheap (but awesome) Dell T20s that pop up on sale from time to time, and just plug it in (headless) to your router.

They fit four 3.5" drives and two 2.5" drives, and these days with 8TB drives available, that's a 32TB NAS/server that's really power efficient at a really damn low price! :)

Then you never have to worry about putting a bunch of 3.5" drives in your desktops ever again.

Get yourself one of those super cheap (but awesome) Dell T20s that pop up on sale from time to time, and just plug it in (headless) to your router.
They fit four 3.5" drives and two 2.5" drives, and these days with 8TB drives available, that's a 32TB NAS/server that's really power efficient at a really damn low price! :)
Then you never have to worry about putting a bunch of 3.5" drives in your desktops ever again.
I'll keep that in mind. How quiet are the cases? One of the main reasons I've used Antec's p18x and the Define is they're both virtually silent.

I'll keep that in mind. How quiet are the cases? One of the main reasons I've used Antec's p18x and the Define is they're both virtually silent.
I don't know how you can really measure that objectively, since it will depend on what you put in it.

You'd only really be able to compare it to other cases using identical hardware inside, which I'm not sure I've seen done. All we know for sure is that its designed for airflow and low noise in mind, with lots of rubber isolation, sound proofing materials, sturdy design, and an enclosed front fascia side breather which tend to be quieter. The top is also modular, so you can keep as much sound proofing on there as you need, or just go with a huge radiator with low pump and fan speeds at idle.

Is this superior to the Corsair 550D when it comes to airflow + low noise? Good price. The side panel on the 550D is bigger for those hotter days, but looks like you can cover it with the Define S as well. Much cheaper than what I paid for the 550D.

Anyone interested in a slightly used Phanteks Enthoo ProM? :D

Thanks, been waiting for this to drop down some to buy it!

I have one I got back when Woot had them for $59, they are good cases, but not without their compromises.

no optical drives, and no way to add them, limited hard drive bays, only 2 USB3 (and no USB2) ports up front.. But it is quiet and fits my 140x280 rad no problems.

Also for a while my power button was sticky, I even opened a support case with Fractal about it, they gave me an RMA number, but by then it had worn in and stopped sticking, so I didn't bother to follow through with replacing that.

Last edited:
no optical drives, and no way to add them, limited hard drive bays, only 2 USB3 (and no USB2) ports up front.
Literally listing the reason I love this case!!! :D

I hate that most old-school design ATX cases use up space with 5.25" bays, like I'm going to use an optical drive in 2016. To quote Bernie Sanders, "Its the Current year people". They also tend to throw in USB2 ports, like USB3 isn't backwards compatible. Y U DO DIS! And then they throw in drive cages that screw up airflow and take up space and HOPEFULLY are removable, like I wouldn't have a NAS/server like any respectable [H] user would.

So modern design cases like this give me a chub that do away with USB2 ports, optical bays, and excessive 3.5" capacity, in favor of emphasis on airflow and extensive watercooling support with good noise insulation.

I hate that most old-school design ATX cases use up space with 5.25" bays, like I'm going to use an optical drive in 2016. To quote Bernie Sanders, "Its the Current year people". They also tend to throw in USB2 ports, like USB3 isn't backwards compatible. Y U DO DIS! And then they throw in drive cages that screw up airflow and take up space and HOPEFULLY are removable, like I wouldn't have a NAS/server like any respectable [H] user would.

So modern design cases like this give me a chub that do away with USB2 ports, optical bays, and excessive 3.5" capacity, in favor of emphasis on airflow and extensive watercooling support with good noise insulation.
Some of us have optical media. Honestly, I have far more use for drive bays than a bunch of empty space and with the r5 you can remove all the HD cages if you really want to. I'm not against a Server, but I want a lot of local storage. I'm not going to read 50MB raw files from a server. However, I totally agree on USB2 ports. But that's really a question for the MB makers, because they're the ones that have sockets for USB2, which is typically used on the front for extra ports.

Anything different besides the extra sound dampening material?
It's all black. I didn't even know it had extra sound dampening (bonus). I assumed they were all equal. Visually, the regular black case has white drive trays and the back PCI port covers are also white. It doesn't really matter, since I don't have a window, but I like it all black. When the case is open, the cage is practically invisble.

edit:
One downside to the Define R5 cases is if you have them on carpet, the bottom vent is probably going to be flush with the carpeting.

It's all black. I didn't even know it had extra sound dampening (bonus). I assumed they were all equal. Visually, the regular black case has white drive trays and the back PCI port covers are also white. It doesn't really matter, since I don't have a window, but I like it all black. When the case is open, the cage is practically invisble
Ah I see it now the metal cage parts and expansion covers. Apparently I just scrolled past that pic. Thanks.

I picked up the Windowless and I have a bunch of black expansion slot covers so that works for me to get it all black.

One downside to the Define R5 cases is if you have them on carpet, the bottom vent is probably going to be flush with the carpeting.

I cut out strips of cardboard and put them under the case feet to elevate it above the carpet a little bit. Have to make sure it's stable if you do this though.

Some of us have optical media. Honestly, I have far more use for drive bays than a bunch of empty space and with the r5 you can remove all the HD cages if you really want to. I'm not against a Server, but I want a lot of local storage. I'm not going to read 50MB raw files from a server. However, I totally agree on USB2 ports. But that's really a question for the MB makers, because they're the ones that have sockets for USB2, which is typically used on the front for extra ports.
Gigabit ethernet is plenty fast for accessing files from my T20, transferring at 125MB/s. It only takes about 60 seconds to copy 10 gigs from my server to any of the SSDs on my other home systems.

For anything where you want more than 125MB/s performance for super fast data manipulation, go with extra SSDs, not extra 3.5" storage drives IMO. Besides, 2TB 2.5" drives are also available for around $100. Don't get me wrong, 8TB 3.5" drives are great, but c'mon they belong on a NAS/server connected headless to a router IMO.

A lot of us on the forum are running these, which happens to be on sale again: Dell PowerEdge T20 Server: Xeon E3-1225 v3, 4GB DDR3, 1TB HDD $249 after $120 Rebate + Free S&H (although I went with the driveless pentium version on the last sale, serves mobile devices, IP cameras, yada yada)

Throw four 8TB drives in there, along with a couple of old SSDs for the OS, and you have 32TB that is always accessible at very low power draw (even remotely).

Ordered one for daughters first desktop. Transferring my old rig to her and building me a new one. Might end up getting another for me, since im basically running a test bench for my current case.

Yes, but making sure people are aware of it. It looks a lot like the R5 that has much of that still in it, and getting it without looking closely could be a real bummer. If you are aware of it, it's great.

Gigabit ethernet is plenty fast for accessing files from my T20, transferring at 125MB/s. It only takes about 60 seconds to copy 10 gigs from my server to any of the SSDs on my other home systems.

For anything where you want more than 125MB/s performance for super fast data manipulation, go with extra SSDs, not extra 3.5" storage drives IMO. Besides, 2TB 2.5" drives are also available for around $100. Don't get me wrong, 8TB 3.5" drives are great, but c'mon they belong on a NAS/server connected headless to a router IMO.

A lot of us on the forum are running these, which happens to be on sale again: Dell PowerEdge T20 Server: Xeon E3-1225 v3, 4GB DDR3, 1TB HDD $249 after $120 Rebate + Free S&H (although I went with the driveless pentium version on the last sale, serves mobile devices, IP cameras, yada yada)

Throw four 8TB drives in there, along with a couple of old SSDs for the OS, and you have 32TB that is always accessible at very low power draw (even remotely).

And if Gigabit isn't fast enough for you, do what I did: A pair of 10Gbe cards and a SPF cable off Ebay for less than $60 total, and at least one PC can have a fast connection to your server.

Yes, but making sure people are aware of it. It looks a lot like the R5 that has much of that still in it, and getting it without looking closely could be a real bummer. If you are aware of it, it's great.
Yup yup, I got my two Design S's, and am putting a push pull radiator in front of both, as there is soooooooooooooooooo much room!

The only stupid thing is that it should have come with a filter on top for when you remove the modu-vent.

BTW, there are a kajillion fount mount options in this case, but only 2 140mm case fans. What fans are you guys installing?

Yup yup, I got my two Design S's, and am putting a push pull radiator in front of both, as there is soooooooooooooooooo much room!

The only stupid thing is that it should have come with a filter on top for when you remove the modu-vent.

BTW, there are a kajillion fount mount options in this case, but only 2 140mm case fans. What fans are you guys installing?
Just got mine delivered and finished a quick hardware move. This case has tons of room and mount options.

240 Rad in Front with Push / Pull 4 x GentleTyphoon AP-15's. AP-11 Rear Exhaust.
Mounted 3 x 4 TB's on the backside for storage.

As for a top filter, this magnetic filter should work with it.

As for a top filter, this magnetic filter should work with it.
Saw that already, but go to checkout... shipping is retarded! It was around $10 IIRC, which makes it a $33 filter, half the price of the entire case. Great idea, but IMO I'd only pay half that price shipped for a simple filter.

I am just using what came with my Corsair H110i GT didn't seem worth doing a custom loop for just the CPU, and I am fairly sure my GTX970 is a temporary video card to hold me over till the VR situation settles down.. So I'll rethink the loop when I replace that.

edit:
To deal with the filter situation, I have the RAD in the top, exhausting up.. So air comes in the front and bottom, both of which have filters, and exhaust out the top, so no need for filter there.

I am just using what came with my Corsair H110i GT didn't seem worth doing a custom loop for just the CPU, and I am fairly sure my GTX970 is a temporary video card to hold me over till the VR situation settles down.. So I'll rethink the loop when I replace that.

edit:
To deal with the filter situation, I have the RAD in the top, exhausting up.. So air comes in the front and bottom, both of which have filters, and exhaust out the top, so no need for filter there.
Yeah, but a rad can't block off the whole top, and when the PC is turned off, dust can settle on it. It won't be very much dust/debris build up from falling on it, so I'm thinking rigging a pantyhose system would be the way to go from the inside so it looks clean.

I think I'm going to do the following for my build:

Front:
INTAKE: Reuse existing 120mm x2 radiator for now with PUSH/PULL fans
INTAKE: 140mm fan

Side:
INTAKE: 140mm fan

Top:
EXHAUST: Remove only one moduvent, for the 120mm radiator for the R295x2 GPU (covered from underneath with taped stretched pantyhose)

Back:
EXHAUST: 140mm fan

That should ensure positive case pressure, so you don't suck in dust through every nook and cranny.

I finally was able to transfer my build to the case last night. Everything was straightforward and came together nicely. Love the case! Now I have all this extra room since I don't even use any radiators, hah.

I have an r5 (love the door opened for gaming, more air, closed otherwise) seems that even with a water cooler in the front that there is a lot of empty space without optical drive, maybe shorten the distance between front fans and cpu/gpu?
great cases

The windowless case is back on sale for the price listed in this topic (window is 79.99). However, I already purchased it from Overstock last week after buying 3 $25 Overstock giftcards from Newegg for $20 a piece. Looking forward to starting on my build this weekend when the case comes in tomorrow.

The windowless case is back on sale for the price listed in this topic (window is 79.99). However, I already purchased it from Overstock last week after buying 3 $25 Overstock giftcards from Newegg for $20 a piece. Looking forward to starting on my build this weekend when the case comes in tomorrow.

Sweet need a new case for my girlfriends PC I am building her. Good deal on the windowless too!

Anyone else have issues with the standoffs stripping the holes that they go into in the case? I can't tighten the mobo screws into the standoff since they keep spinning. I've contacted Fractal, but assume I could fix this myself if I got longer bolted standoffs and used washers and nuts.

This recently happened to me on a Corsair Graphite 780t case. My solution was to just replace it with the old style brass standoffs that were the same height luckily. Those painted black standoffs normally have too much paint filled inside the standoffs and cause the screws to cross-thread. Your best bet is to get some unpainted brass standoffs which are honestly better for grounding purposes too.

Back