Flying Car Cleared for Takeoff

it maintained an altitude of like 10ft and was rapidly loosing speed.... flying car my ass....

This is just another toy for the uberrich :shrug:

Something to do on the weekends that you can still drive and store in your own garage.

Now we just need that google self driving thing in here. imagine just hitting "work" and getting flown there... awesome

The problem of course, is that to make flying cars viable, we need a new propulsion system that does not require wings, or airlift. Some sort of antigravity engine is the only thing that will truly make fying cars a reality of what we picture a flying car should be. We also will need advanced computer and gps systems that can fly the car automatically, and control it in the air. You think drivers are bad now, on the ground, imagine drivers in the skies, it'd be a nightmare if we had to manually fly them. We need a computer controlled flight scheme so people wouldn't be running into each other, or dropping like flies on peoples houses, or whatever other mayhem could occur with humans behind the wheel of a flying car.

DITTO!!!! But This flying car would be fun for me! :)

Whatever happened to the Moller Skycar? Seems like it's been in production for 50 years.

GMptu.jpg

This plane was at my school for a demonstration. It's a pretty great idea. It's really not a "flying car" though.

The beauty of the concept is for weekend pilots that want to have a plane but don't want to pay for hangar space. With a Terrafugia, you can park it in your garage and drive it to the airpstrip when you want to fly, filling up at a gas station along the way. Or if you are traveling cross country hop from airstrip to airstrip, no need to rent a car in between... I think it's a wonderful idea for people who actually want to travel.

This really doesn't make sense, it's not a flying car because it still needs a runway and still requires old fashioned flying skill. I don't even want to think about the havoc at ATC if even 5% of the population owned one.
As a pilot, this makes a crapton of expense.

Consider your average light sport aircraft venture:
1) Get in the car and drive to the particular airport where your aircraft is stored.
2) Park your car, lock it up, and open the hanger that you are paying $350 a month to rent (PITA as most hanger doors aren't automated).
3) Push out your aircraft squeezing by other planes you are sharing it with, fill up with aviation fuel, and fly to your destination.
4) Arrive, tie down your aircraft, and then check to see what car rental services are available at the small airport or call a taxi to get around.

Now a flying car:
1) Open your rent-free garage door and drive out.
2) Fill up at any gas station using regular cheap car gas.
3) Drive to any airstrip that is nearby, even if you could never afford a hanger there yourself (mine is an hour away, as I could never afford the Sugar Land airport which has no openings for the last few years anyway).
3) Take off and fly to your destination, press a button to fold the wings, and you're driving around town without issue.

As a pilot, this makes a crapton of expense.

Consider your average light sport aircraft venture:
1) Get in the car and drive to the particular airport where your aircraft is stored.
2) Park your car, lock it up, and open the hanger that you are paying $350 a month to rent (PITA as most hanger doors aren't automated).
3) Push out your aircraft squeezing by other planes you are sharing it with, fill up with aviation fuel, and fly to your destination.
4) Arrive, tie down your aircraft, and then check to see what car rental services are available at the small airport or call a taxi to get around.

Now a flying car:
1) Open your rent-free garage door and drive out.
2) Fill up at any gas station using regular cheap car gas.
3) Drive to any airstrip that is nearby, even if you could never afford a hanger there yourself (mine is an hour away, as I could never afford the Sugar Land airport which has no openings for the last few years anyway).
3) Take off and fly to your destination, press a button to fold the wings, and you're driving around town without issue, until some dumb-ass crashes into you at a light and smashes one of your wings/rail/prop/etc.
4) wonder who the hell is going to fix the mess so it's drivable or flyable, and how you are going to cover the expense of getting back home, transporting the thing to get it fixed, and any other accommodations until the insurance kicks in - if they even pay. I'm sure any company will fight paying anything as long as they can.

Fixed that for you.;) Now, if they can make it with a built-in dumb-ass resistant force-field, you have a workable point.

Whatever happened to the Moller Skycar? Seems like it's been in production for 50 years.

Now that's what I'm talking about. When I was in 8th or 9th grade some dude came to our career day to do a presentation about it and that was like 10 years ago.

Back