fluxbox "konqurer"

zerogt86

Gawd
once gentoo 2004 comes out, im gonna install it. ill probably use fluxbox as my wm, but i was wondering what program i should use for somethin like a konqurer, natuillius, windows explorer, etc. what kind program should i get (i dont really want to compile kde or gnome).

just to let you know the 2004.0 stages and livecds are out, but they still need a bit of testing.
livecds:
http://gentoo.oregonstate.edu/experimental/x86/livecd/
stages:
http://gentoo.oregonstate.edu/experimental/x86/stages/
these should ofcourse be mirrored on the other gentoo mirrors

anyway, i still use command line. if i really have to use graphical, i use konqueror (emerge kdebase - NOT kde). i have nautilus 2.5.2 installed, but i'm not really a fan of it. midnight commander is pretty popular, along with xffm (xfce4's file manager), and then there's ROX, and another 300 on freshmeat. you kinda gotta try them all and see which ones fit your needs.

im pretty sure that gentoo 2004 will include all the 2.6 stuff, and i want that to be worked out as ive heard nforce 2's and radeons have enough trouble under linux.

Originally posted by zerogt86
im pretty sure that gentoo 2004 will include all the 2.6 stuff, and i want that to be worked out as ive heard nforce 2's and radeons have enough trouble under linux.
no problems and no problems

anyway, getting 1.4 to 2004.0 is easy. just emerge sync, chance your profile's symlink (from default-x86-1.4 to default-x86-2004.0), and emerge -uD world

Originally posted by MTB2Live,Live4Comps
you wouldn't happen to have a link would you? i can't seem to find it

Yes please provide a link. I am using Konquerer in XFCE because I don't like xffm. I want to ditch all of KDE and if this is like Konquerer I will be willing to try it.

WOrrying about which live CD you use is pointless. Once you get through the install and you type "emerge sync && emerge world" you have the latest and greatest gentoo software reguarldess of what LiveCD you used. That's the beauty of Gentoo.

Reguarding kernel 2.6 and 2004. Yeah, the 1.4 LiveCd uses kernel 2.4 to boot.. But you can still install a 2.6 kernel during the initial install process.

Analogy:

"What type of automobile did you drive to the Ferrari dealership?"
"Who cares? I drove a Ferrari home!"

:)

Back