Florida Man Tied to Global Hacking Scam Gets 5 1/2 Years

monkeymagick

[H]News
Anthony Murgio, one of the operators of the infamous bit coin exchange site Coin.mx has been sentenced to 5-1/2 years in prison after pleading guilty to three conspiracy counts, which include fraud and operating a non-licensed money transaction business. The sentencing was half of what prosecutors were seeking. Murgio along with others were part of a data breach of at least nine companies including JPMorgan Chase and E*Trade gaining access to more than 100 million customers' info. The information was used for stock scams and online gambling. The group was also involved in a take over of a New Jersey credit union used for hiding money laundering transactions for hackers from victims of ransomware. Don't forget to check up on any suspicious activities on your accounts folks.

Murgio unsuccessfully fought back tears and lost his composure several times in expressing "enormous regret" for his crimes, which the judge credited as genuine.

"I am wiser today than when the case began, and I am sorry for all the damage I caused to so many people," Murgio said. "Believing what I was doing was OK did not make it OK."

5-1/2 years is a joke.
U.S. District Judge Alison J. Nathan declined to follow the recommended sentencing guidelines.​
The judge now has a new cadillac and swiss bank account.

Last edited:
Murgio unsuccessfully fought back tears and lost his composure several times in expressing "enormous regret" for his crimes, which the judge credited as genuine.

"I am wiser today than when the case began, and I am sorry for all the damage I caused to so many people," Murgio said. "Believing what I was doing was OK did not make it OK."

i'm calling bullshit on that. Only thing their usually sorry for is getting caught. but this is probably less worse than cosby going on tour playing the victim i guess :/

i'm calling bullshit on that. Only thing their usually sorry for is getting caught. but this is probably less worse than cosby going on tour playing the victim i guess :/

He knew what he was doing. He is soooo sorry now. What a joke, right? :p

Yeah, no kidding. Sorry for getting caught. I'm glad they throw the book at this guy. With all the scams around and fake calls this needs to be happening more often. I hope they can recover the money he stole.

5 1/2 years, probably out in three on good behavior to be financially set for life... Where do I sign up?

Given that most such scammers get nothing (not sure if Wall Street thieves and scammers got this much), 5 and half years is pretty damn decent. As much as I despise what this guy did, I don't think he should get a sentence like a murderer which sound like your definition of "throwing the book" .

Someone from Florida with some technical ability ? Never thought i'd see the day.

really? i wouldnt take that offer.

He isn't a violent offender so he will be in a minimum security facility. So basically live a moderately inconvenient life for 3-5 years where you have zero worries and really your only battle is boredom. Knowing that once you get out you have millions in the bank accumulating interest that you can live rest of your life on and never work again.

Sorry if I fail to see the punishment here.

He isn't a violent offender so he will be in a minimum security facility. So basically live a moderately inconvenient life for 3-5 years where you have zero worries and really your only battle is boredom. Knowing that once you get out you have millions in the bank accumulating interest that you can live rest of your life on and never work again.

Sorry if I fail to see the punishment here.

Dont they seize the money?

Back