Fixing stripped screw holes?

Synomenon

Supreme [H]ardness
I recently put together a new rig using a SilverStone SG03 case. Some of the screw holes in the case are stripped though. I didn't realize how easy it was to strip screw holes in these aluminum cases.

Is there any way to fix these stripped screw holes or am I out of luck? Some of the stripped holes:

Back of the case where the side panel screws into with thumb screws.
Some of the holes for the standoffs for the motherboard.
One of the PCI / PCIe slot brackets where the card's own bracket screws into.

You can tap the holes to a bigger diameter, but this would create a problem with the motherboard standoffs though. Since motherboard standoffs don't come in larger sizes. This should work fine for the expansion slots and side panel screw holes. However you will have to use regular bolts instead of thumb screws unless you can find some with larger threads.

I would get some JB weld and mix some up then put some on the threads of the motherboard standoff and place them in the stripped hole. Also use some around the edges and let it harden for a good 12 hours. That should keep it in there pretty good and since you generally don't remove standoffs to often you should be fine doing this.

for the standoffs, if it's a removeable motherboard tray, you might try getting a new one from silverstone just so your motherboard is secure.

Or, if you can, try screwing them in from the back (the opposite side of where you were screwing them in) Sometimes this helps re tap the threads without the use of any tools. But remember, never force it on, that will lead to disaster.

You can tap the holes to a bigger diameter, but this would create a problem with the motherboard standoffs though. Since motherboard standoffs don't come in larger sizes. This should work fine for the expansion slots and side panel screw holes. However you will have to use regular bolts instead of thumb screws unless you can find some with larger threads.

I would get some JB weld and mix some up then put some on the threads of the motherboard standoff and place them in the stripped hole. Also use some around the edges and let it harden for a good 12 hours. That should keep it in there pretty good and since you generally don't remove standoffs to often you should be fine doing this.

where do i get JB weld and how does it work ?
(have same problem with some case screws)

In the right situation there is also epoxy based thread repair kits which can be found at auto parts stores as well. Another solution would be to glue the appropriate size nut to the case, again it won't always be possible. Also keep in mind that unless it's a conductive epoxy it may effect EMI leading to unexplained performance issues. I wouldn't give it a high probability of being a problem but do keep it in mind.

JB weld is basically a metal based epoxy. Good stuff. Works like duct tape for the sofisticated redneck.

JB Weld might work nicely, as long as it's not so thin in the hole that simply tightening the screw would end up stripping it right back out again, including the JBW patch.

For attaching the case sides, since it's in the back of the case (and non-visible), I'd just get a slightly larger self tapping screw, and use that. Won't matter how it looks, right?

For the standoffs, if you have access to the back of the motherboard tray, look to see how far the brass standoffs stick through the (what I assume to be) aluminum sheet. If you have a thread or so of the standoff showing, you might be able to just put a nut on the backside, and carefully tighten it while holding the standoff on the other side with a wrench. Basically, it'll be the nut and the standoff (acting as a bolt or screw) tightening to each other, with the motherboard tray in between. I did this one time, with a motherboard standoff hole that was already pretty much stripped out when I got the case, and it worked just fine. Figure it this way, the standoffs don't get turned too often, and if your case is vibrating enough to shake it loose, you have bigger problems to take care of first!! :D

As far as the PCI/PCIe bracket hold down screw hole goes, is there any way you could just use something like a short # 6 machine screw & nut?? Again, it shouldn't be turned too often, so it should work just fine.

JB Weld (aka cold-weld compound) is also said to be machinable; you could line the screw hole with it and then re-tap the threads.

How thick is the material (I've never seen an aluminium case in person)? If the panel is thick enough, you might use a HeliCoil. I don't know availability in your area, but you should be able to Google a supplier

I agree with the metal epoxy. JB weld works great, but just about any cold weld or metal epoxy will do.

i have had good luck putting a single strand of a thin piece of stranded copper wire inserted in the stripped hole before i put the screw in. I have used tinfoil and even one bristle from a wire brush. in an emergency a wood splinter in the screw hole. I even use this method on my old trucks, the distributor points hold down screw in my old suburban is held in place using this method. Cut apiece of wire long enough to hold on to then screw in the screw and trim off anywire that shows. If the hole is not stripped too bad sometimes coating the screw threads with solder will make the threads catch, tho the solder sometimes comes off after rescrewing a few times.

Back