First Time User: Post Your Ideas

TheTyrant

Gawd
Im thinking about running Mandrake 10 also been looking at Ares Linux Beta...
Would it be a bad idea to start off on a Beta Version on Linux...it looks like a nice distro. I just might start at Mandrake..i just want others to Hoot and yell to get me to install it...i just like the information on it..and programs that i can use..

If you have never used Linux I would pick a distro that is more widely used, so support,a nd documentation is easy to find. For example Fedora, Mandrake, Slackware, Debian, or Suse. Looking at the Ares site there doesn't look to be anything there that is special that the other distros don't offer.

i installed mandrake 10 last week after not touching linux for 5 years. it installed without a hitch (even with my goofy linksys wireless usb card, which i'd read that i would have problems with... i didn't with mandrake). detected all of my hardware, and all is running smoothly. the install had a very nice and user friendly interface, and there's a good tutorial with pics for the mandrake install over at linuxloader.com.

i recommend it for a newb - mainly because of the ease of installation, and the fact that you can easily configure it in the setup as a server or desktop machine. you can be up and running out of the box with cd burning software, media players, etc. very easily on mandrake. (that may be so on other distros, but i was impressed with the out-of-the-box functionality of mandrake).

good luck!

I too would suggest going with a mainstream distro rather than a new/fringe distro. There's a lot of project that just stagnate & die; the big names are going to be around for a while.

Back