First time SFF builder - need advice

Korvus

n00b
1. What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming, Photoshop (or other intensive programs), Web browsing, strictly HTPC/Playback, etc. (If you have multiple things you want to do with the system, make sure you rank them from most important to least important).

Sole focus of my build will be for gaming. Web surfing, media playback, and typical light MS Office use on this PC as well.

2. Will you be overclocking? (If so, are you looking to watercool?)

I would like the ability of a modest overclock with an air heatsink. I'd rather not spend extra money on watercooling.

3. What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included in this budget? Is your budget flexible? Is cost a driving factor in component selection?

My absolute budget is $1,500 total. I'd like to keep it closer to $1,300-$1,400 if possible. The stated 1,500 budget must include tax/shipping, etc.

4. Where do you live? Do you have any big B&M (brick and mortar) computer chains nearby (e.g. Microcenter, Fry's, etc)?

I live about 2+ hours from Seattle, WA. I would prefer to buy everything online.

5. What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need (especially if you will need 3.5" hard drives or expansion cards as these may restrict case options).

-Case
-Mobo
-CPU
-Heatsink
-GPU
-SSD and maybe a storage drive. I'll probably purchase storage drive later.
-PSU
-RAM (8 gig should be good)
-LCD monitor
-OS license

6. If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. For reused parts, list brands, model #s, and, if applicable, firmware revisions.

Keyboard and mouse. Also, I don't see a need for an optical drive. I haven't really used one in years, and I can install the OS from a flash drive.

7. What specific features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Thunderbolt? Crossfire or SLI support? How many USB 3.0 and SATA 6Gb/s? etc. Which is more important, size of the system or having the particular feature? Make sure you indicate *required* vs. *wanted* for each feature you list.

Two main components that I wish to build around would be the case I chose, and the motherboard.

I know a lot of people on here are not a fan of the Bitfenix Prodigy, but this is the case I wish build around. It's small enough for my particular purposes. I work away from home a lot and I'm tired of dealing with "gaming" laptops. Most of my traveling is done via car, though I will have to occasionally take the PC with me on a plane. This is also why I would like to keep an air cooler.

As for the mobo, it supports optical S/PDIF and I like to run my home theater sound system through my PC when I'm at home. I know I can achieve this by other means, but I like the fact that I can just run my fiber optical cable directly to this motherboard.

8. What resolution output do you need? 4k playback, 1080p playback, etc for HTPC or give a vertical/horizontal resolution for gaming SFF rigs. Do you need multiple monitor output?

1080p, or something similar. I basically wish to get a cheap(ish) 22 inch LCD and I want to play games at max resolution with high graphical settings. The max resolution on the LCD I'm possibly purchasing is 1920x1080. I'm not married to this particular LCD, but the price seems right and I believe it will be good enough. Remember that I will be taking this LCD with me in the car. Should the monitor break during travel I'll be less worried about the cost of replacing it.

9. Does this system need to fit into a particular space and do you need an optical drive? Think entertainment center shelves, closet space, rackmount, etc. Many modern SFF cases have either removed the optical drive or have been constructed so that removing the ODD increases the configuration possibilities immensely.

I do not want an optical drive, I think it’s unnecessary for my needs. I don't have particular space requirements outside of I want something more portable than a normal ATX case. the Prodigy seems to fit my needs just fine.

10. How comfortable are you with custom case design/modification and electrical wiring? What tools do you have (Screwdrivers/Leatherman, Drill, Dremel, Metal snips, Soldering Iron, Bending Brake, CNC/Welding machines/Plasma cutter, etc...)?

I don't have the skills or time to build a custom case. I absolutely need a prefab case.

11. How important is the noise/silence of this system? HTPCs typically want to be quiet while all-out SFF gaming rigs don't care

I hope I can keep the system quiet enough that it doesn't sound like an aircraft taking off when I boot up games. However, if this is a sacrifice to get what I want, so be it.

12. How mobile does this system need to be? Need a carrying handle or carrying straps? Is weight important (carry-on bag, etc)? Water cooling quick disconnects, etc?

I am an occasional air traveler. I believe the case I want to build around will be just fine in the overhead luggage bin.

13. Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit? Remember that OEM copies of Win7 have issues with new motherboards

No, I need a license of Win 8 included in my build.

14. When do you plan on building/buying the PC? Immediately, in a couple weeks, 3-5 years?

Very soon. I should have my Christmas bonus between 12/22 and 12/24. I plan to make a purchase as soon as the money is in my account.

===========================

Here is what I have so far. Please let me know if there are some areas where I can save some money.

$84.48 - Bitfenix Prodigy - http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008RJQ3GQ/?tag=extension-kb-20

$149.99 - Asus Z97I-PLUS - http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00K2R6E0Q/?tag=extension-kb-20

I know there are motherboards in a cheaper price range, but I like the optical S/PDIF option on this. I'd rather not get another board unless there is a cheaper one that I missed with optical output.

$74.99 - Rosewill CAPSTONE-650 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182071

OR

$95.99 - SILVERSTONE ST45SF-G 450W - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817256084

I'm not sure if I absolutely need a SFX powersupply with this build. Also, I wasn't sure if 450w PSU will be enough. I think it will be (with no OC) but I'm not 100%. Please advise if I can go with the cheaper Rosewill option, or if you have another PSU in a similar price range that would be superior to either of the options I listed.

$239.99 - i5-4690K - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117372

$329.99 - PNY VCGGTX9704XPB GeForce GTX 970 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814133564

$99.99 - Crucial M500 240 GB SSD - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148694

$60.99 - G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231428

$29.99 - Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103065

$119.99 - AOC i2267fw 22-Inch IPS - http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CLZ047Q/?tag=extension-kb-20

$99.99 - Win 8 64 bit OEM - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832416776&cm_re=windows_8-_-32-416-776-_-Product

That puts me between $1290.39 and 1311.39 before shipping. I think I'm standing pretty good but I would like some feedback, especially on the powersupply options.

Thanks and I hope all of you have a happy holiday!

Edit: updated mobo.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I just want to inquire about the case. You say you plan on taking it on airplane journeys; would that be hand luggage? Because I think that the prodigy is actually too big for that.

But if you plan on using it you don't require the SFX power supply, in fact I recommend you don't. Lots of reports of the fan acting up and generally being quite annoying.

Well according to this website

http://traveltips.usatoday.com/carryon-luggage-size-limitations-united-airlines-62912.html

"The dimensions of the baggage is negotiable as long as the total size (length + width + height) is 45 inches or less."

When going to Bitfenix's own website, they listed the dimensions as 250 x 404 x 359 mm. Turning that into inches its roughly 39.88 inches total. Top that off, I have often seen people bring baggage that is well above the "minimum" requirements. I honestly don't see it as being an issue.

I still technically have wiggle room and I can easily go out and buy a bag that it will fit in for travel.

Thanks for the tip on the powersupply. I was not exactly sure since I have read that full sized PSU's can be a tight fit.

You're not planning to take the PC as a carry-on, are you? As rawrr said, the Prodigy is a bit too big for that.

The Asus Z97i-plus has an optical audio output and is less expensive than that previous generation MSI board.

If you want to argue the technicalities of whether or not that case would count as a carry-on with an airline rep, you can, but there are better options, smaller options, which will work just as well for a case but be easier to carry. Silverstone's SG05 immediately comes to mind, as does the ncase M1.

The Asus Z97i-plus has an optical audio output and is less expensive than that previous generation MSI board.

If you want to argue the technicalities of whether or not that case would count as a carry-on with an airline rep, you can, but there are better options, smaller options, which will work just as well for a case but be easier to carry. Silverstone's SG05 immediately comes to mind, as does the ncase M1.

Thanks for the recommendation on the mobo. I'll check that out in a few minutes.

As for the case, I won't lie, I'm a bit intimidated by the smaller spaces you have to work with when placing all of the parts inside. I liked the prodigy because it seems to have a lot of space to work with, yet it is still smaller than what I would get with the usual ATX case.

Also, I like the fact that I don't have to worry about the size of the videocard (for the most part). That leaves options open later for potential upgrades.

What about the SG05 and ncase M1? Do they play well with most full sized videocards?

Are they a PITA to work with? Or am I making a mountain out of a molehill with the formfactor in question?

First and foremost: I actually do own a Bitfenix Prodigy and found it to be a good case:
IMG_6425 by dangman4ever, on Flickr
IMG_6419 by dangman4ever, on Flickr
IMG_6407 by dangman4ever, on Flickr

However, since you're planning on taking this PC with you on a plane whereas I am not, the Prodigy isn't the right fit for you. The SG05 and NCase M1 are closer to what you want in that regards.

Those two cases do take more time and effort to work with compared to the Prodigy but they're smaller in size to compensate (yes they do play well with most video cards):
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-...AATI/eao99KOzfgQ/s800/wahaha360_MiniITX_2.png

lol Dangman, wtf, itx is about using space efficiently, the hell is that thing lol.

@Korvus: SG05 or SG08. SG08 fit bigger cards.

What about the SG05 and ncase M1? Do they play well with most full sized videocards?

Are they a PITA to work with? Or am I making a mountain out of a molehill with the formfactor in question?

Yes, sort of, and yes.

The SG05 will fit cards up to 10" long, but it's a very tight fit. 970s with the "reference" heatsink (the blower-style one) are typically around 9.5" long, and while it's a tight working space, they do fit. There are several shorter models as well (Zotac, Asus, Gigabyte and Galax all make a version of the 970 that will fit in the SG05 easily). The bigger 970s, like the Asus Strix, MSI Gaming, etc, won't fit in it. For larger cards there's the Silverstone SG08.

The M1 has room for a bigger video card, as long as you plan your parts accordingly - get an SFX power supply, mainly.

It's really not that much of a PITA to work with it; you just have to take a little more time with things like cable routing, and don't try to force things into place. The SG05, for instance, if you're putting a big video card in there, you need to take out the drive cages and the support piece that goes across the top, then slide the card straight down into the slot. Don't try wedging it in from the side, you'll probably just break something. It's just stuff like that, making sure you assemble things in the proper order, really.,\

I'm in the camp that thinks the prodigy is a bit too large to be considered a small form factor case, but I think even for those that consider it properly small, I think everyone will agree it's a bit big to be an easy carry-on on a flight.

What ever you do, stay away from the Rosewill PSU. Every one they have ever made is just pure junk.
Very poor voltage control. Way overrated efficiency.
The Corsair 380T case is really portable and takes a standard ATX PSU and can be had for $90 after $20 MIR at the egg!

The prodigy is a micro atx case that restricts you to a mini itx motherboard. In fact they have since released the exact same size case that lets you put a micro atx motherboard in it.

Good luck getting it into carry on. 22" x 14" x 9" is what all the major carriers allow in america for carry on. And i'm assuming your going to want the computer case inside some sort of cover or enclosure to protect it. So your going to need to be a couple inches smaller in each direction than that to get the overall size down small enough to fit

What ever you do, stay away from the Rosewill PSU. Every one they have ever made is just pure junk.
JonnyGuru.com gave the Rosewill Capstone 750W a solid score and favorable review:
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=266

Now I'm not saying all Rosewill PSUs are good. There are still quite a few bad Rosewill PSUs out there. But some Rosewill PSUs are good as the above review shows.

The Corsair 380T case is really portable and takes a standard ATX PSU and can be had for $90 after $20 MIR at the egg!

The Capstone series is just a Super Flower with a Rosewill sticker slapped on. They're a pretty dependable PSU in the price range.

As for the case you mentioned, I'll look into it. I like the looks of it more than the SG08, however, I'll choose function over form when it comes down to it.

Edit: The Corsair 380T isn't really much smaller than the Prodigy. 380T dimensions are 393x292x356 mm; Prodigy is 250x404x359 mm.

Last edited:
I'm using a Prodigy for my main rig, and I would recommend NOT using one for a carry-on system. The case is built like a tank, so is very heavy. Also, the handles/feet are flimsy as hell.

Here are two alternative recommendations if you don't want to go as small as the SG05. Both can be had for no more than $50 shipped.

Cooler Master Elite 130
This is a breadbox style case. Think of it as the SG05, but bigger so you are less limited. I have an Elite 120 that I was modding for better cooling, and I wish I had the 130 instead.

Thermaltake Core V1 Extreme
I have one of these but haven't built in it yet. Think of it as a smaller and lighter Prodigy. Similar layout and can nearly hold a metric shit-ton of hardware.

I used a EVGA Hadron Air for main build, case seems small enough to fit in a those roller carry on bags. should be a little cheaper that the prodigy and the small sliverstone psu.

Back