First Power-At-A-Distance Wireless Charging Technology Approved by FCC

DooKey

[H]F Junkie
Energous Corporation announced they have received FCC certification for power-at-a-distance charging technology. The new technology sends focused RF power to devices up to three feet away. This technology should be very handy for anyone using small wireless devices like earbuds, smart watches, wireless keyboards and mice, and other similar devices you hate to plug in or set on a pad. I can't wait for this to make it to market because the convience this type of charging offers is excellent. Check out the demo video below.

Watch the video here.

"WattUp from Energous represents an incredibly positive lifestyle change," said Martin Cooper, Energous Board of Directors member and 'Father of the Cell Phone' -- a pioneer and visionary of the wireless industry. "This ground-breaking technology allows users to automatically charge their WattUp-enabled devices without having to remove them from their wrist or pocket, plug them in or place them on a mat to charge, freeing them from ever having to think about charging their devices again."

So many questions! Am I the only one wondering how many Watts they can wirelessly transmit? Is it like 2.5 Watts or maybe less, it will take a year to fill a phone or are we talking like fast charging? Does an increased number of users affect the charge rate?

Tell me when it can charge at least the length of a football field.
It's making my cavities hurt already.:confused:

So many questions! Am I the only one wondering how many Watts they can wirelessly transmit? Is it like 2.5 Watts or maybe less, it will take a year to fill a phone or are we talking like fast charging? Does an increased number of users affect the charge rate?

This will first be for VERY low power devices. Think items that could run off of capacitors such as remotes and ear buds or even wireless mice that are battery free.

wattup-receiver-technology-size.jpg

This first gen tech will not be for 500mah at 5v kinda devices.

It sounds like you would be surprised to learn how much wireless spectrum goes through your body every second of every day.

I welcome wireless charging but I have to wonder if all of these wireless things we're moving toward will have negative effects on us at some point. Smells like cancer.

Reactions: Epic|
like this
IMO, that was a rather good tech demo video. Can actually show the device functioning, and not just a paper launch.

Qi charging might have a competitor ;P

Within 3 feet. That extra 3 feet is just way too much fucking trouble to plug something in.

I welcome wireless charging but I have to wonder if all of these wireless things we're moving toward will have negative effects on us at some point. Smells like cancer.

Wireless cancer induction. Yeeeeeeey

I wonder if it will make your change heat up, and how far from your pocket will the first tumours be...

You should write them, I'll bet they totally forgot to test for that! /sarc

"WattUp from Energous represents an incredibly positive lifestyle change," said Martin Cooper, Energous Board of Directors member and 'Father of the Cell Phone' -- a pioneer and visionary of the wireless industry. "This ground-breaking technology[snipped]"

Nikola Tesla said:
You realize I was doing this over 100 years ago right?

Nothing new here. But I don't like the idea of excess microwaves being sent through my head ("low power" or not)

I want this for my car. I'd make long car trips less messy around my console area. My phone, wife's DS/Switch, her phone, dash cam (maybe), etc...

Do you know for a fact they are using microwaves, or are you just guessing?
I'm guessing. But it's what Tesla used. Also NASA proposed a hypothetical system where satellites would collect sunrays in space and beam the energy down to the collector station as microwaves.

Just remember there are many frequencies of microwaves. A lot of phone providers use microwave transmitters on their towers. There aren't too many available frequency slots. Lower frequencies go further, but it's harder for them to carry energy. And they certainly aren't going into the gamma range. So it wouldn't be hard to figure out. I have access to equipment that would tell me.

Last edited by a moderator:
At work, really cant read till I get home... Is this like a 3foot radius? Or up to 3 feet in a beam? cylinder, Cone, or just a specific device within range?

Still it is a beginning increase the range, get the power levels up (without cooking any pets or people -- ok to cook the roaches in the walls) enough for a central point to power a home or a work site -- not being tied to a power plug could change things and begin our lives in a Star Trek world.

I want this for my car. I'd make long car trips less messy around my console area. My phone, wife's DS/Switch, her phone, dash cam (maybe), etc...

The transmit power to charge that many devices at those power levels would pretty much ensure that hanging around Chernobyl is the healthier option.

At work, really cant read till I get home... Is this like a 3foot radius? Or up to 3 feet in a beam? cylinder, Cone, or just a specific device within range?

Still it is a beginning increase the range, get the power levels up (without cooking any pets or people -- ok to cook the roaches in the walls) enough for a central point to power a home or a work site -- not being tied to a power plug could change things and begin our lives in a Star Trek world.

There are 3 techs. A few inches model, a 3 foot model, and basically a 1 room model.

It works via RF, and it talks to the base and some how steers the single to the receiver. So its not "flooding" the room so that everything with a chip can suck a watt out of the air. How it beams is another story...

Hope no one ends up with the wireless locked onto the neighbors purse dog's implanted chip and cooks fluffy.

I'm guessing. But it's what Tesla used. Also NASA proposed a hypothetical system where satellites would collect sunrays in space and beam the energy down to the collector station as microwaves.

Just remember there are many frequencies of microwaves. A lot of phone providers use microwave transmitters on their towers. There aren't too many available frequency slots. Lower frequencies go further, but it's harder for them to carry energy. And they certainly aren't going into the gamma range. So it wouldn't be hard to figure out. I have access to equipment that would tell me.
I'm thinking that because power levels at any specific frequency is closely regulated by the FCC, they are more likely using some sort of wide band technology. By spreading the power across a wide piece of the RF spectrum, they can keep the frequency specific power low, but still transmit quite a bit in aggregate. This would also make it less likely to be (completely) blocked by people moving around the room, and less likely to interfere with existing services.

Microwaves are just a wavelength of light that overlaps into the radio spectrum. However said energy beaming would be VERY directional, so it would not work for "wireless charging at a distance" which would need to be omnidirectional.

Just remember there are many frequencies of microwaves. A lot of phone providers use microwave transmitters on their towers.
All wireless phones work in the microwave spectrum, your wifi router is microwave, it really is kind of a catch all term that is "high frequency radio"

I think some guy had this idea before, on a much grander scale. Shame we never got that system perfected.
wardenclyffe_tower1.jpg

Back