First Mac

Doc Holiday

2[H]4U
I just got my first Mac a 17in iMac for the wife. I've noticed that it's very slow to launch programs. Is this normal for a mac. Firefox takes 4-5 seconds to lauch the first time. I only have 512MB of ram. Is OS X that big of a ram hog or I'm I missing something? I would think that 512 would be more then enough for just simple web surfing, email, and chat.

BTW, I'm loving the iMac and OS X. The wife took to it very quickly also. That says something about Apple.

Is it a new Intel iMac? If so, it is probably because you are running a PPC build of Firefox and it has to run under Rosetta (emulation). This is going to cause it to run similar to G4 speeds. Try to find an unofficial build of Firefox (called DeerPark) that is a universal binary or at least an Intel optimized build. ;)

Launching applications takes some time, that's true, but on the other hand, you only do it like once a month... Unlike in Windows, you don't quit Firefox by closing the last open window.

Night Fox said:
Is it a new Intel iMac? If so, it is probably because you are running a PPC build of Firefox and it has to run under Rosetta (emulation). This is going to cause it to run similar to G4 speeds. Try to find an unofficial build of Firefox (called DeerPark) that is a universal binary or at least an Intel optimized build. ;)

Good Call I forgot about that.

Doc Holiday said:
Just loaded the Deerpark build of Firefox. What a change, this thing flys.

enjoy your stay, because you (And your wife) just had your first hit of crack :p

careful OS X can be very addictive...

must........fight....it....can't.....beat....cravings!

Back