First 9600 GSO page is up. Scoop!

mentok1982

Supreme [H]ardness
XFX has a page up for the 9600 GSO which I guess is supposed to be launched in May.

The card is not very special (8800 GS with faster clocks) but it is not everyday that I can get
awesome info like this before the rest of Interwebs. I love my parser.

My GPUReview news post:
http://www.gpureview.com/first-9600-gso-page-is-live-scoop-article-665.html

Our 9600 GS page:
http://www.gpureview.com/GeForce-9600-GS-card-563.html

More 9600 GSO pages now:
XpertVision 9600 GSO Sonic
XpertVision 9600 GSO
Palit 9600 GSO Sonic
Palit 9600 GSO

With those specs this card could lose against 8800 GS. Yes, core and shaders are up 5.5% (Core 550MHz -> 580MHz and shaders 1375MHz ->1450MHz)..BUT memory clock on 8800 GS is 14.3% higher.

This memory thing is pretty significant because 8800 GS was already bottlenecked by it's memory bandwidht (losed badly against 9600 GT when AA enabled)

For me this 9600 GSO looks like mixture of failed 8800 GT parts; partly defective G92's combined with GDDR3 memory that failed to reach their supposed clock frequencies.

Quick OT comment: whenever I raise the core clock on the 8800GT in your comparison tables, it's GFLOPS go from 336 to like 168k, kinda hard to compare number after that, lol.

Quick OT comment: whenever I raise the core clock on the 8800GT in your comparison tables, it's GFLOPS go from 336 to like 168k, kinda hard to compare number after that, lol.

That is really weird. I will make sure that gets fixed. Thank you very much.

Is it significant that it's 384MB? Does that mean we could perhaps see more high end 768MB+ cards in the future? :)

Is it significant that it's 384MB? Does that mean we could perhaps see more high end 768MB+ cards in the future? :)
what? its a G92 with one of the 64-bit memory controllers disabled. so that means the 192-bit card could have 384mb or 768mb of memory. amount of memory alone doesnt mean shit anyway.

so why the hell are they calling it a 9600GSO when it doesnt even use the 9600 core? why not just call it a 9800GSO?

With those specs this card could lose against 8800 GS. Yes, core and shaders are up 5.5% (Core 550MHz -> 580MHz and shaders 1375MHz ->1450MHz)..BUT memory clock on 8800 GS is 14.3% higher.

This memory thing is pretty significant because 8800 GS was already bottlenecked by it's memory bandwidht (losed badly against 9600 GT when AA enabled)

For me this 9600 GSO looks like mixture of failed 8800 GT parts; partly defective G92's combined with GDDR3 memory that failed to reach their supposed clock frequencies.
its the same exact card as the 8800gs. just go to to newegg and look and you will see that some of the 8800gs cards had those specs. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150275

Another refresh of the 8800 series. Yawn. This time at least they bumped up the memory clocks, nothing special really.

Another refresh of the 8800 series. Yawn. This time at least they bumped up the memory clocks, nothing special really.
did you even read my post right before yours? its the same card and the one listed in this thread has 1400mhz memory just like most of the 8800gs cards had. so why are you saying it has higher memory clocks?

ok everybody lets go over this one more time....THE 8800GS AND THE 9600GSO ARE THE SAME CARD. different card makers may use different core/mem/sp speeds just like with any other video card.

Relax, so he mis-read, big deal. This is such an unfriendly site. You could just tell him to re-read your post or correct him without getting all up over your own ass.:rolleyes:

Relax, so he mis-read, big deal. This is such an unfriendly site. You could just tell him to re-read your post or correct him without getting all up over your own ass.:rolleyes:

This WHOLE thread has been this way and I felt the need to be blunt since its obvious that people are seeing what they want to see. When people make ignorant comments like that in tech forum other people may think that its true. Everybody needs to get through their head that they are the same cards.

Your comment was way more rude than anything I said. :rolleyes:

If you're going to be rude, I'm going to be rude back to you.

Now back to the subject. As far as I could tell, there hasn't been 1 person (if you want to count John as a person who didn't think the 9600GSO & 8800GS are the samething, fine, I'll give you 1 person) that were confused about 9600GSO being a 8800GS rebadged. There has only been some complaining about naming it a 9600 without having a G94 core, some regular discussion about the card, and some comparisons of "reference" 9600GSO memory speeds and 8800GS memory speeds.

They are going to have to drop that card for like 80 bucks or no one in their right mind will buy one....but I guess retards make a large part of the market.

If you're going to be rude, I'm going to be rude back to you.

Now back to the subject. As far as I could tell, there hasn't been 1 person (if you want to count John as a person who didn't think the 9600GSO & 8800GS are the samething, fine, I'll give you 1 person) that were confused about 9600GSO being a 8800GS rebadged. There has only been some complaining about naming it a 9600 without having a G94 core, some regular discussion about the card, and some comparisons of "reference" 9600GSO memory speeds and 8800GS memory speeds.
I wasnt really being rude in the first place. There are people acting like the 9600GSO has different specs when clearly its just the individual card maker who will have different mem/sp/core speeds.

They are going to have to drop that card for like 80 bucks or no one in their right mind will buy one....but I guess retards make a large part of the market.

Well, the 8800GS is only like $100 after rebates, so I can't imagine the 9600GSO being more than that...

NVIDIA is overstocked with 8800GS and 8500/8400 chip....like in the 2 million range

ever heard of old lamps to new lamps....

expect the 8800GS - 9600GSO
8600GT/S === 9500
8500GT ==== 9400
8400gs ---- 9300 LE or something

Hey mentok1982, that's a very, very slick site you got there - re: gpureview.com! :cool:

The website looks like alot of well-spent time & effort has gone into it + I really dig the "review finder" and the "video card database" <<--- I don't think I've ever seen anything quite like it :: considering the depth + sheer # of reviews you have per video card, the hard data on each cards' OverClock's + the factory default settings data you've got available, all that at the click of a button/all in one spot!

consider me a new & instantaneous fan - I will, definitely, be revisiting again! Reeeeal soon! I sign'd up for the forums too :D

Please don't take this the wrong way, I wanna make 3 suggestions for gpureview.com's overall mission statement/data presentation, please just give it a thought, even for 1 second ;) ; add these 3 statistics to each GPU in the "video card database" and you're golden ;
  • {average?} 3dmark06 scores per clock{step?}, ala the way you present core & memory OverClock data via FLOPS/pixel,fill rate - per GPU. It doesn't have to be 3mark06, go for Super PI 1M, etc, etc.. u get the idea`r?
  • TDP/heat info per GPU
  • Wattage info per GPU
ADD those three (err... 2, read PS @ bottom), and you will turn a phenomenal website, into an EPIC video card web-based TOOL!

damn fine work, brotha!
-peace-

agentdcooper

PS -- wait a second, you ALREADY have #2 = Max power draw! w00t

XFX has a page up for the 9600 GSO which I guess is supposed to be launched in May.

The card is not very special (8800 GS with faster clocks) but it is not everyday that I can get
awesome info like this before the rest of Interwebs. I love my parser.

My GPUReview news post:
http://www.gpureview.com/first-9600-gso-page-is-live-scoop-article-665.html

Our 9600 GS page:
http://www.gpureview.com/GeForce-9600-GS-card-563.html

Whats all the fighting about so a 8800GS is a new 9600 card this same song has been played over through the years by all the different manufactures.

Whats all the fighting about so a 8800GS is a new 9600 card this same song has been played over through the years by all the different manufactures.
some people were looking too close at the specs and thinking there were some differences. in reality its just like any other card in that different card makers will have varying core/mem/sp speeds.

I never understood why they made so many of these cards, who did they expect to take them off their hands? Esspecially after the huge following the 8800GT had

Well, since the GS is a partially 'defective' G92 core, and the G92 is very popular, it makes perfect sense. What it tells me is there are a lot of defects at the end of their manufacturing process. I have benefited every time they dump their surplus scrap as hobbled GS parts. My 6800GS stood the test of time.

At ~$100 the 8800GS is tough to beat. Even lower and they would simply own the market in that price range (save for low power and space limited people)

• {average?} 3dmark06 scores per clock{step?}, ala the way you present core & memory OverClock data via FLOPS/pixel,fill rate - per GPU. It doesn't have to be 3mark06, go for Super PI 1M, etc, etc.. u get the idea`r?
  • TDP/heat info per GPU
  • Wattage info per GPU

Well I am glad I came back this thread.

The problem with the 3Dmark06 or SuperPi or any benchmark is that to make that meaningful,
all the tests for every single card have to be done on the exact same PC. No one is doing that
because no one company or site has the money (and desire) to buy every graphics card and
test it.

The amount of heat the GPU creates is an interesting idea and many reviews sites measure
it (using different tools and methods) but we could choose a site and give a figure for each
card type. The measurement should be of a stock clocked reference card with the stock
cooling solution.

Anyway, the reason I came back here was to post this:

XpertVision 9600 GSO Sonic
XpertVision 9600 GSO
Palit 9600 GSO Sonic
Palit 9600 GSO

What about Tom's Hardware? (Given, they don't update it much)
And I think 3DGuru does it too.

If these are in the 80.00 range, they will make excellent cheap SLI candidates. But, heck, I just bought a 9600GT for 109.00 so they better be cheap.

This is true. SLI setups were designed for at least 512MB. Back in '05 and '06 a person could get away with 256MB on an SLI setup, but not with today's modern games.

Back