Firefox has pushed me as far as I'm going to be pushed

Deadjasper

2[H]4U
The latest in a long line of shit changes they've implemented is a non stoppable update nag. They can kiss my ass, I'm done with Mozilla.

So what's a good replacement ?

TIA

The latest in a long line of shit changes they've implemented is a non stoppable update nag. They can kiss my ass, I'm done with Mozilla.

So what's a good replacement ?

TIA
Ok, I'm just going to ask the obvious here.

Why are you avoiding updating if there is one available? It wouldn't nag if you installed it, right?

You're on Linux to avoid the barrage of windows malware or attacks? Maybe? So why would you want to leave your browser unprotected?

Just off the top of my head.

Ok, I'm just going to ask the obvious here.

Why are you avoiding updating if there is one available? It wouldn't nag if you installed it, right?

You're on Linux to avoid the barrage of windows malware or attacks? Maybe? So why would you want to leave your browser unprotected?

Just off the top of my head.

To me it's all about choice. I will not blindly go where Mozilla or any other shit company wants to lead me. You can do as you please.

Like I said, it's all about choice. You do as you please and forget the idea that somehow I'm supposed to agree with you.

Like I said, it's all about choice. You do as you please and forget the idea that somehow I'm supposed to agree with you.
You always have a choice. So does Mozilla. You get to chose whether to use Firefox or not, Mozilla gets to chose how their application is to be updated. How dare you force your beliefs onto Mozilla? Who are you to limit their choices? That is very un-american of you to oppress Mozilla's constitutional rights just because they disagree with your principles.

But, should you insist on living in your own bubble of ignorance that you pretend is a bubble of oppression, here you go:
https://github.com/mozilla/policy-templates/blob/master/README.md#disableappupdate

Last edited:
Iirc, this kind of thing isn't displayed on nightly/git builds. Of course, it's been a while, so I could be wrong. Pretty sure the beta channel would still bug you about it.

There's surely a script on GitHub (or somewhere) to quickly download the latest nightly build, too.

Wha?!

JU5roxN.jpg

There are no alternative browsers that don't update. What crack are you smoking?
I'm on Vivaldi and it allows disabling updates with no notification, on Windows at least (on macOS I've seen it mention there's new updates every few months, not sure how they handle their Linux version).

Reactions: pavel
like this
I'm on Vivaldi and it allows disabling updates with no notification, on Windows at least (on macOS I've seen it mention there's new updates every few months, not sure how they handle their Linux version).
Vivaldi is a good browser, at least.

TBH the nagging is pretty idiotic. Just update when I start the browser next time, don't nag me while I'm using it unless lives depend on updating it right now.

Maybe you should just switch to the ESR channel.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/choosing-firefox-update-channel
We currently offer two paths for Firefox updates: rapid release and Extended Support Release (ESR).

Rapid release: receives major updates every four weeks and minor updates such as crash fixes and security fixes as needed during those four weeks.

Extended Support Release (ESR): receives major updates on average every 42 weeks with minor updates such as crash fixes, security fixes and policy updates as needed, but at least every four weeks.

I have never had Firefox nag me to update. Under Linux Firefox is updated along with OS updates, unless you're manually deselecting the update.

I use ESR on my Pi400 and it's fine, perhaps use that? My guess is you don't want to run newer builds of Firefox, because you don't like the way certain Add-Ons no longer work, meaning you're running a really old and compromised browser.

But eh...It's all about choice.

I didn't realize Firefox nagged under Linux. I learned something new.

I like chromium myself. Most distros keep an up to date version. It will be updated pretty much weekly... or nightly depending on what you install on what distro. Doesn't nag that I know of... just keep in mind to use things like Netflix and the like you will have to jump through a few hoops installing DRM. Namely widevine.
If your on arch/manjaro or another arch based distro widevine can be installed from the AUR...
https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/chromium-widevine/

I didn't realize Firefox nagged under Linux. I learned something new.

Maybe it depends on the install method? On my Ubuntu system, Firefox as installed by apt doesn't nag (or even give the check for update option in the About dialog). Probably some compile-time option when the package is built. It may be different if built for/installed by Snap/Flatpak or some other means.

Reactions: ChadD
like this
A little clarification is in order. It doesn't nag under Linux. I was referring to a Windows box. Should have been clear about that from the start. I posted this in the Linux forum out of habit. Sorry.

I've had some major problems lately due to FF updates. By far the worst was it was rendered incompatible with my bank. I was unable to log in and I was unable to change my password. I fought with them for 2 days. They, of course, knew nothing of the problem and couldn't help. Eventually I spoke to someone who suggested I try Chrome. I did and had no problem logging in. In fact I'm still using Chrome for my on line banking. The compatibility issue together with the bank locking me out due to too many log in attempts. Another problem I ran into was YouTube stopped working. All I got was a circling arrow when i tried to view a video. Again, Chrome worked properly. Right now I'm dealing with a strange issue on forums including this one. I have to click "Post Reply" twice before it goes. There are several other problems that appeared after the most recent updates. I'm not going to switch to Chrome permanently but will use it until I decide which I'm going to go with.

And BTW, all the problems listed above were in Linux. The nag was in Windows, it really pissed me off and made me decide to leave Firefox behind. I came here looking for advice and got nothing but shit from certain posters. This used to be a top notch forum where people helped each other. Now it's more of a den of abuse. Maybe I'll dump it too. I've been here a long time but all things must pass.

To me it's all about choice. I will not blindly go where Mozilla or any other shit company wants to lead me. You can do as you please.
I think you can just disable the update service. As long as you never go into the about page it won't update.

But you can also install one of the long term servicing versions, which only receives security updates. Shouldn't break features.

A little clarification is in order. It doesn't nag under Linux. I was referring to a Windows box. Should have been clear about that from the start. I posted this in the Linux forum out of habit. Sorry.

I've had some major problems lately due to FF updates. By far the worst was it was rendered incompatible with my bank. I was unable to log in and I was unable to change my password. I fought with them for 2 days. They, of course, knew nothing of the problem and couldn't help. Eventually I spoke to someone who suggested I try Chrome. I did and had no problem logging in. In fact I'm still using Chrome for my on line banking. The compatibility issue together with the bank locking me out due to too many log in attempts. Another problem I ran into was YouTube stopped working. All I got was a circling arrow when i tried to view a video. Again, Chrome worked properly. Right now I'm dealing with a strange issue on forums including this one. I have to click "Post Reply" twice before it goes. There are several other problems that appeared after the most recent updates. I'm not going to switch to Chrome permanently but will use it until I decide which I'm going to go with.

And BTW, all the problems listed above were in Linux. The nag was in Windows, it really pissed me off and made me decide to leave Firefox behind. I came here looking for advice and got nothing but shit from certain posters. This used to be a top notch forum where people helped each other. Now it's more of a den of abuse. Maybe I'll dump it too. I've been here a long time but all things must pass.
Again: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1199816

All those problems sounds more like poorly coded websites not following proper standards. Chrome is known for supporting old crap it should not, while Mozilla is taking the stand and kicking out old code and insecure coding practices to keep people safe.

Personally thought I use Brave Browser.

I think you're directing your blame in the wrong direction, especially considering that Chromium is becoming the new IE. Try blaming the big guy trying to create walled gardens before blaming the little guy.

All those problems sounds more like poorly coded websites not following proper standards. Chrome is known for supporting old crap it should not, while Mozilla is taking the stand and kicking out old code and insecure coding practices to keep people safe.

Personally thought I use Brave Browser.
Firefox is great, and people like to do stupid stuff on the web, but sometimes Firefox is broken, and it breaks sites, like when it broke posting on hardforum in November, and is still broken but should be fixed in 96 which should be going out next week.

If you want a browser that doesn't need a lot of updates, w3m might fit the bill. No frills like javascript though, and it runs in a terminal window.

Firefox is great, and people like to do stupid stuff on the web, but sometimes Firefox is broken, and it breaks sites, like when it broke posting on hardforum in November, and is still broken but should be fixed in 96 which should be going out next week.

If you want a browser that doesn't need a lot of updates, w3m might fit the bill. No frills like javascript though, and it runs in a terminal window.
I prefer lynx and elinks, personally.

Yeah unfortunately Firefox went to shit 10 years ago. I don't particularly like any of the popular browsers, but just use Chrome cause it works. Google already has my life story and sex tape from my android phone....

Dropped Firefox long ago. Brave and DDGO browsers for me. At least Brave paid me 100 bucks last year heh.

I use Firefox daily and rarely do I have a problem that isn't related to big Google manipulating web standards. I refuse to use anything based on Chromium, as I refuse to use a browser that has advertising functionality baked into the browser itself.

afaik it just opens edge anyways. edge is a decent browser though.
no, you have to install it through "add windows features". Its super sketchy. Must be some random MS software that "requires" IE 11 to run. It should be long dead.

no, you have to install it through "add windows features". Its super sketchy. Must be some random MS software that "requires" IE 11 to run. It should be long dead.
there is still a ton of goofy software that works through it, like library systems. trying to extend support id guess. but this isnt about 11 and i never even mentioned it, you made an assumption.

there is still a ton of goofy software that works through it, like library systems. trying to extend support id guess. but this isnt about 11 and i never even mentioned it, you made an assumption.
it was more of a "hey you can still use this wildly old and obsolete browser" than an assumption you would ever want to use.

Back