Firefly: Gaining Momentum for Resurrection?

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
This is definitely not tech news other that the fact it deals with science fiction, but techies, geeks and nerds are the backbone of this possible revival. If you have been under living under a rock, Firefly was a 12 episode phenomenon that just will not go away. The show was briefly brought back into mainstream consciousness as the movie Serenity in 2005.

"If I got $300 million from the California Lottery, the first thing I would do is buy the rights to Firefly, make it on my own, and distribute it on the internet," he said when asked if he would join the cast again if given the chance.

quote is from nathan fillion, who plays captain mal in case anyone was wondering. i heard about this recently, and it would be amazing. but last i heard joss wheadon wasnt interested in continuing the series, and without him involved i just dont know if it would be the same.

firefly was one of my favorite shows of all time that went the way of the dodo.

Along with Terminator Sarah Connor chronicles and Heroes. Heroes was really sort of sucking at the end when it got cancelled but they could have made it so much better and make a come back, but it was still my favorite. Terminator, i dont get what so ever, it was great, had momentum, wasnt stale, and Summer Glau is HOT, but this is a Firefly thread, so we already knew Summer is hot.

Firefly is great. Now what I don't understand is it had a 4.6 Nielsen rating and got canceled, YET Show's like Battlestar Galactica had 1.4??? Or shit like smallville last 10 year's.

A nice dream, but about as much chance of happening as that Buckaroo Banzai sequel.

Firefly is great. Now what I don't understand is it had a 4.6 Nielsen rating and got canceled, YET Show's like Battlestar Galactica had 1.4??? Or shit like smallville last 10 year's.

BSG is a cable show which typically get MUCH lower ratings and in turn are expected to get less. As for smallville, its ratings have been bad but it still one of that networks best performers so it just keeps hanging around.

Firefly was a real gem of a series. Not sure how they could bring it back, didn't they kill a couple of the main characters in the movie? Heroes was great until the final of the first season, took a turn for suck after that and never recovered. TSCC originally was great, then became bullshit like matrix dream orgy crap. caprica was really good but probably too slow for most. All the god/gods confusing BS from BSG did not really help. Looking forward to see what happens in the next series.

Weren't the DVDs hugely successful?

I heard that Babylon 5 made over a billion in DVD sales, yet Michael Straczynski still couldn't getting any sort of reasonable budget for future shows.

Firefly had amazing potential, but like so many other shows network executives ruined it by not only airing the series out of order but changing times as well as regularly not showing it at times scheduled and of course they always act surprised when the show doesn't work.

Network executives think their views have the IQ of sponges, and considering most of what passes for entertainment on the networks they might be totally wrong.

Weren't the DVDs hugely successful?

I heard that Babylon 5 made over a billion in DVD sales, yet Michael Straczynski still couldn't getting any sort of reasonable budget for future shows.

Yeah when the released the DVD set, it broke a bunch of records in the first week on how many they sold.

Firefly got great reviews, a loyal viewer ship, and was a good show. It was Fox who kept moving its timeslot and aired the episodes out of order. They aired the pilot as there final episode......

I remember when the movie came out, Joss said he done with Firefly but not done with Serenity. Considering how he did Dollhouse after that quote, I wonder where that still stands.

Firefly was a real gem of a series. Not sure how they could bring it back, didn't they kill a couple of the main characters in the movie? Heroes was great until the final of the first season, took a turn for suck after that and never recovered. TSCC originally was great, then became bullshit like matrix dream orgy crap. caprica was really good but probably too slow for most. All the god/gods confusing BS from BSG did not really help. Looking forward to see what happens in the next series.

if youre talking about the next season of caprica, then im sorry to say it was cancelled. it did kinda drag along for a while, but the finale of the show made watching the whole season worthwhile. seriously, one of the best season finales i have ever seen.

I LOVED Firefly. I watched the series on Netflix after it was recommended to me by several people. At the end of the series, I kept wondering how the show was cancelled because I was dying to watch more of it.

They did kill off a few of the main characters in Serenity, but I the premise of the show makes it easy for them to pick up some new crew members if they ever decided to revive it.

I LOVED Firefly. I watched the series on Netflix after it was recommended to me by several people. At the end of the series, I kept wondering how the show was cancelled because I was dying to watch more of it.

They did kill off a few of the main characters in Serenity, but I the premise of the show makes it easy for them to pick up some new crew members if they ever decided to revive it.

The premise also allows them to come back. So many open plotholes that they can easily film 2-5 movies out of with all the original characters.

A.) Firefly never was 4.6 its premier episode was 4.1 and it was downhill from there, the series itself averaged 2.98 and towards the end was below 2.

Not sure why wiki says the ratings where so high because they where not.

B.) Network vs cable. A 1.4 on rating on a network station would not get past the pilot. That said firefly was still dead last in its time slot. Even if it was a 4.6 rating it is still pretty bad for a prime time network show, judge judy pulls in better ratings than that.

Theres a reason every other network passed on it after it was cancelled.

I thought it was an OK show, not near as good as the fans hyped it up to be.

I want Firefly back SO BAD!!! :D

So far i have watch the series about 5 times, and can't get enough :D

I hope something happens with a possible new Firefly in the next few weeks to months.

When the first episode of Firefly aired on a Friday night so long ago, I watched it for oh, maybe 10 minutes if that many, and turned it off and never went back. It was the corniest screwiest thing I'd ever seen on TV up to that point, iirc.

I didn't think about it again till years later when the movie was released, and I do like the movie a great deal, but even in spite of it being the same cast, characters, etc, it's a totally different feel to things and the story compared to that short window of opportunity I allotted the original series.

I still haven't seen anything more than that 10 minutes, or what the movie represented, but given the "it just won't die" popularity of the show I suppose at some point I should actually watch the whole series so I can say I did finally take it in.

Might do that this weekend... but definitely the movie is pretty awesome, and an addition in my collection for quite some time now. Maybe the series will join it on the shelf...

A.) Firefly never was 4.6 its premier episode was 4.1 and it was downhill from there, the series itself averaged 2.98 and towards the end was below 2.

Not sure why wiki says the ratings where so high because they where not.

B.) Network vs cable. A 1.4 on rating on a network station would not get past the pilot. That said firefly was still dead last in its time slot. Even if it was a 4.6 rating it is still pretty bad for a prime time network show, judge judy pulls in better ratings than that.

Theres a reason every other network passed on it after it was cancelled.

I thought it was an OK show, not near as good as the fans hyped it up to be.

Does this take into account though the fact that FOX screwed with the timeslots, aired it out of order (confusing the hell out of everyone) and basically did their best to kill it so they could grace us with shit like "Who wants to marry my dad"?

When the first episode of Firefly aired on a Friday night so long ago, I watched it for oh, maybe 10 minutes if that many, and turned it off and never went back. It was the corniest screwiest thing I'd ever seen on TV up to that point, iirc.

I watched ~9 episodes before I was dead bored with it. Everything was blatantly obvious, from its intentional western-in-space overtones, to its campy dialogue. I hope this doesn't signal that the Science Channel is going to be airing crap TV, covering it up with Michio Kaku, and claiming it's educational. If this replaces shows like "How the Universe Works", I'll be angry.

My only fear is that it does end up coming back and ends up sucking. Would ruin the memories of the fantastic series.

Does this take into account though the fact that FOX screwed with the timeslots, aired it out of order (confusing the hell out of everyone) and basically did their best to kill it so they could grace us with shit like "Who wants to marry my dad"?

Oh no fox definitely fucked firefly. Much the same way they are doing to Fringe. That Friday time slot is death to shows. Its a damn shame because Fringe is like 20x better than firefly was. :mad:

I am a huge Firefly/Serenity fan. It is honestly one of the best shows I've ever seen. However, I think this campaign to raise 300 million is a little too ridiculous. It seems like Fillion just make an offhand remark, and everybody is taking it way too seriously. Don't get me wrong - I would love for this show to return. No, seriously, I would quite possibly explode from sheer happiness. But so far neither Joss or Fillion are offically supporting the movement, and without them, this project is going to have a hard time getting off the ground.

Who wants to marry my dad actually got a second season. Reality type shows are cheaper to make than ones that require professionals to write and act in them. And for some odd reason, reality shows seem to be successful. Don't know why myself, since most reality shows cause me to become embarrassed for my species within the first 5 minutes.

Loved Firefly by the way. It's on Netflix so I think I will just go have look at a couple episodes tonight.

I still don't understand why everyone liked Firefly. I watched several episodes (IN PROPER NON-FOX ORDER!) and the Western-in-Space theme was CENTRAL to the show (some people claim it is just asthetics...it is not) and utterly stupid/unrealistic/illogical/non sensical. To really get into a story, the audience must be capable for suspending their disbelief - in the case of firefly, there is no chance of that due to the really corny western atmosphere central to a show about humans with technology hundreds of years into the future. I don't care that it was "outer colonies" - it is still totally unrealistic. Even "outer colonies" would have far more advanced technology, just with none of the luxuries. Not to mention that non-serious westerns are corny, and firefly's western side was non-serious and corny.

I still don't understand why everyone liked Firefly. I watched several episodes (IN PROPER NON-FOX ORDER!) and the Western-in-Space theme was CENTRAL to the show (some people claim it is just asthetics...it is not) and utterly stupid/unrealistic/illogical/non sensical. To really get into a story, the audience must be capable for suspending their disbelief - in the case of firefly, there is no chance of that due to the really corny western atmosphere central to a show about humans with technology hundreds of years into the future. I don't care that it was "outer colonies" - it is still totally unrealistic. Even "outer colonies" would have far more advanced technology, just with none of the luxuries. Not to mention that non-serious westerns are corny, and firefly's western side was non-serious and corny.

This bugged me a lot but nothing in this show bugged me more than the weird Chinese (or whatever) cursing. WTF was that even about? Listening to frak every 5 seconds in BSG was annoying but at least it had some fucking meaning.

Odder things have happened,it took an outcry from fans to get Star Trek on for a second season,and years of support to get the first theatrical movie made. I wasn't a huge fan of Firefly,thought it was good but not great,but honestly I liked it better than the BSG remake,after a while the characters in that became so unlikeable it was hard to care what happened to them.

This bugged me a lot but nothing in this show bugged me more than the weird Chinese (or whatever) cursing. WTF was that even about? Listening to frak every 5 seconds in BSG was annoying but at least it had some fucking meaning.

I actually liked the use of Chinese. It also allowed them to get away with saying "Fuck everything in the goddamn universe" when he saw the Reavers. I got really tired of frack, and it use; the word was too pretension.

It was a good show, and enjoyed the movie. I almost wouldn't mind having coming back.

This would be awesome. I watched the movie first w/ my GF then found the series. Best series EVER.

I dunno, I found that incredibly amusing because it was typically butchered so badly. I mean I could actually figure out what they were saying... sometimes. Some of the extent of the swearing depends on how you translate it (e.g. is it "my butt" or "my ass")

I loved Firefly, and yes, i'm one of those who found it after it was released on DVD. Even my wife loved it, and we tend to watch vastly different stuff on TV. Yeah, it was a little cheesy at times, some of the acting is questionable at best, but the stories, the people and setting was fantastic. Plus, i always liked that little attention to detail stuff like the camera shots in space being dead silent.

I think the mega box office loss serenity had showed how much interest there really is for this show outside of the rabid 'small' fanbase that buys up everything and is louder than anyone else in the world.

me too. honestly one of the major reasons i never could get into it. The dialogue was so painful, especially with the chinese thrown in. Just seemed like it was an afterthought.

yeah i think most would agree there is a cheese factor to the show, but to the fans I think that's a big part of what they liked about it. I also thought the wester/scifi mix was great, not over-done. I loved the intro song, and the slient space shots.

The show got better as episodes went on for me, and I liked the movie as well but it wasn't nearly as memorable. I also watched it all on DVD in the correct order the way it was intended to be.

A great show, I've watched through it three times now, and I think it might be due for another viewing with the gf (who hasn't seen it yet) ahhh, resurrection or not, I'm happy with the series.

FireFly was one of the best-written TV shows of all time.

So I would worry about script quality. Also, all the actors/actresses are 10 years older now, so it's hard to see how the crew would still be on the ship and up to their same old shenanigans. Though, I could definitely see another movie out of this.. finally end the nonsense between Mal & Inara.

Re: Caprica - I wholeheartedly agree. One of the best series finales I have ever watched. Those last 2 episodes had better writing than the whole of the series.

I KNOW!!!!!!!!!!! WHAT THAT FUCK IS THAT SHIT?????????????

haha im 22 and ive been watching smallville for 10 years now. crazy. i gotta say the show is pretty crappy, but the first 2 seasons were great, then it dove for like 3-5, then it got ok again once he started getting more superman-y. i have a real soft spot for superhero movies/shows.

At this point I be happy with any space based Scifi show getting some air time, all there is to watch now is V.

Back