Finding duplicate files and deleting them

COPE2

n00b
Is there any soft ware out there that can find duplicate files with the same name, and size? I have many files throughout my hard drive that are duplicates and I would like to get rid of them.

I find it funny that you took the time to make the let me google that for you but even after that, you didn't answer his question.

Just curious, why didn't you recommend he search google first in the future but answer his question? Do you not know yourself?

So your post is more useless then his!

http://www.digitalvolcano.co.uk/content/duplicate-cleaner

(Never used it though so may want to ask someone about a program that is user friendly and accurate = Someone with personal experience can answer best)

I find it funny that you took the time to make the let me google that for you but even after that, you didn't answer his question.

Just curious, why didn't you recommend he search google first in the future but answer his question? Do you not know yourself?

So your post is more useless then his!

http://www.digitalvolcano.co.uk/cont...licate-cleaner

(Never used it though so may want to ask someone about a program that is user friendly and accurate = Someone with personal experience can answer best)
I find it funny that you seemingly arbitrarily chose a product for him, despite not having any real experience to base this recommendation upon. At least I gave him a choice.

So your post is even more useless than mine!

I find it funny that you seemingly arbitrarily chose a product for him, despite not having any real experience to base this recommendation upon. At least I gave him a choice.

So your post is even more useless than mine!

Telling him to do a google search is not even close to as helpful as giving him a freeware product of the kind of program he requested(arbitrarily, lol) .

Oh yeah, check here smart guy(arbitrarily).

http://download.cnet.com/Duplicate-Cleaner/3000-2248_4-10584403.html

As to the OP, you thanked someone that didn't even help you(I get it) but didn't thank someone that attempted to help you with your question, good job!

I mean did you really need someone to tell you to google search for something?

Wow!

Last edited:
This forum is starting to look like a locker room more and more every day. Every way I look I see a bunch of diks.

You guys ever think maybe he asked rather searched is because maybe someone here has had a good experience with a certain piece of software in particular? Lets be honest, not all freeware and programs and google hits are created equal.

Personally I recommend Doublekiller. It can search and compare using a few different protocols and is reasonably quick.

the problem I have run into is that most of these programs will only scan one folder for duplclicate files, but my files are scattered and repeated throughout multiple partitions, so I would like to get something that can scan an entire computer rather than just a specific folder. I have found that out of all the programs mentioned in this forum, it seems like the only program that has the ability to do this is fast duplicate file finder. when i load fast duplicate file finder, it says building files list, and just freezes at that

This forum is starting to look like a locker room more and more every day. Every way I look I see a bunch of diks.

You guys ever think maybe he asked rather searched is because maybe someone here has had a good experience with a certain piece of software in particular? Lets be honest, not all freeware and programs and google hits are created equal.

Personally I recommend Doublekiller. It can search and compare using a few different protocols and is reasonably quick.
Thats actually exactly why I asked here. Obviously anyone can go on Yahoo and do a search for it, but I thought that's what forums like this were for. To recomend, or talk about things that work well. Also there are always new members joining who know something that older members may not, not to mention new software being developed everyday. Personally, I find that 90% of the software found from search engines are not very useful. Just the other day, I was looking for software on how to shrink videos, and I went through about 5 that didn't work til I got to one that worked. It was Ashampoo that finally did it.

I've just gone through 10 different programs that find duplicate files, but all of them have been programs that only do a search in 1 folder, like c:/fotos, or something. I have about 10 partitions with duplicate files and would like to find a program that can compare all the partitions for duplicate data.

I've just gone through 10 different programs that find duplicate files, but all of them have been programs that only do a search in 1 folder, like c:/fotos, or something. I have about 10 partitions with duplicate files and would like to find a program that can compare all the partitions for duplicate data.

Not sure what you're doing wrong but, the Auslogics one recommended above searches any attached or networked drives/partitions as long as you have such locations checked in the left-hand pane. Right now I'm attached to an access point (wireless) so I don't have direct access to the mapped drives on my Wife's machine (and yes, she's a cat lover hence the name of the machine) but when I'm at home those drives are there and I can search them just as easily as the drive in this laptop. I run it and this is what I see:

auslogicsdff.png

Works for me...

Not sure what you're doing wrong but, the Auslogics one recommended above searches any attached or networked drives/partitions as long as you have such locations checked in the left-hand pane. Right now I'm attached to an access point (wireless) so I don't have direct access to the mapped drives on my Wife's machine (and yes, she's a cat lover hence the name of the machine) but when I'm at home those drives are there and I can search them just as easily as the drive in this laptop. I run it and this is what I see:

auslogicsdff.png

Works for me...
This program is garbage... Why? It performs no MD5 calculation on the files to see if they're actually identical files. I have no idea what this program does but it seemed to miss pretty much every duplicate file I had on my computer. I know this because I used another program called "Duplicate File Finder" version 3.3 and "Easyduplicatefinder" and they found those duplicates. Easy Duplicate finder is not free and neither is duplicate file finder, but the former has a "pretty" interface and is a bit more versatile though doesn't work on Windows 2000 while the latter works on 2000 but doesn't have the benefits of Easy Duplicate finder.

Here are the links to the programs:
Reason I don't like these programs is primarily because neither are free! :(
(Easy Duplicate finder)
http://easyduplicatefinder.com/

(Duplicate File Finder)
http://funduc.com/dupfiles.htm

Quick search for file duplicates by their contents no matter what their file names are. It is Clone Remover. The utility will help you to save your time. Convenient tools for managing search results: deleting, copying, moving found files. Free download and try it.

removing duplicates

I wrote a C# program to Find and optionally delete duplicates: http://www.poshcode.com/2336 (make sure to view follow-ups for future changes) - can be compiled with VS2010 Express, which is free.

Last edited:
Back