Finally settled on an i7-4790 build

Weeth

Gawd
I've been waffling on this CPU or that CPU for a good long time, but I'm finally ready to start accumulating the bits for my super silent build and I'm going to base it on the i7-4790. There's several reasons for settling on that one:
  1. I use a proprietary legacy (horrible) software which is single threaded and needs the fastest clock speed on a single core possible
  2. I've chopped down my RAM requirements to just 32GB so I don't have to go with LGA2011's 8 slots
  3. I can't afford to wait for Haswell-E and then wait another six months until they fix the silicon bugs
  4. Also on Haswell-E, I'm afraid that DDR4 is going to be crazy pricy at the beginning

So all that said, I just ordered an Antec Nineteen Hundred in green. I love the look of it and I'm a sucker for oversized cases. I'm also just about to decide on the Asus Sabertooth Z87 so I'd really appreciate any pros or cons on this board. For storage I'm thinking of going with the Samsung 840 Pro. I'd like to hear what you have to say about these choices and we'll continue with the build!

Haswell Refresh without the Haswell Refresh Chipset? Z97 should be out when your chip launches, why wouldn't you go with it?

new chip with new board can do well, but can also ask for issues as has happened numerous times with new chipsets, what major changes will they be offering over the old tried, tested, stable platform?

Also there is that side of, get a sandy chip and clock it up, many have been known to hit 5Ghz which is sick fast. Paying a good chunk for a new chip just because it has a stock 4Ghz seems excessive, just grab a nice cooler and your all set.

As for the Z97 it seems that the advantages over the 8 series are PCIe SSDs which I won't use anyway, plus it seems that most of the mobos will be coming out at least a month or two after the i7-4790 does and I can't hold off that long. I've only got one USB 3.0 device so having 6 plugs does nothing for me. As for the Sandy, I have a i7-3930K in my current system and its very mildly OC'd since it's primarily a workstation and I can't take any chances at instability. I will mildly OC the Haswell too but just a bit as the emphasis on this next system is close to total silence so I can't afford to let the temps reach too high.

The Asus Sabertooth Z87 looks like a pretty impressive board. I mean Intel LAN, ALC1150 audio, TUF components, 8 + 2 phase motherboard. A cheaper alternative is the Asus Gryphon Z87 but it's a micro ATX and doesn't have the same audio (although I read the ALC892 is still Blu-ray compatible).

An even cheaper alternative would be the Gigabyte GA-H87-D3H although it doesn't say how many phases it has on the Gigabyte web site.

A mild 4.2 OC on a 4770K is going to be better (and cheaper?) than a 4790, unless there are some other improvements besides binning on the refresh of which I'm not aware.

Yeah, I really like that Sabertooth and I certainly don't mind spending the money for it. And sure, an i7-4770K with a reasonable OC would likely beat a boxstock i7-4790 so that's an option too. It all depends as to when I want to actually go ahead and buy the system. If I can't wait until next month, then it looks like it would be the 4770K.

I just saw:

Devil's Canyon

and I got to a screeching halt when I read:

Devil’s Canyon will only be supported by the Intel 9-series motherboards

That's not good as I really don't want to be restricted to a specific series of mobos, so I've just ordered a Gigabyte G1 Sniper Z5S and an i7-4770K. I didn't want to wait until April anyway, so at least I can get the build done next weekend. It's going to be fairly wild as I'm going overboard on the green lighting in the green Antec Nineteen Hundred and it's going to be a 0db system during normal operation (with fans kicking in under heavier loads). Should be fun!

Yeah I'm a little ticked off after buying a Z87 (ASRock ITX) board in December that I won't be able to drop in a 4790 especially since they are fixing the crappy TIM issues. Guess 4770K is where I top out :( Which is fine as that should last me plenty long enough until DDR4 becomes established.

I think its great they keep pushing forward, not so great cause they very much seem to do it on purpose to get rid of things asap when the new stuff coming out does not seem like it has all that much added to it or differently, I can fully understand if say some like AMD has issues keeping things BW compatible they simply do not have the same staff nor research budget/time that Intel has always had, but yet it seems every cycle Intel is bringing something out that causes previous stuff to go bye bye, least they could do is initiate a better recycling type program and engineer their stuff that it can be stripped as much as possible so the user can get a few $ back and keep up with the upgrades.

Back