Finally moving away from AM2+...seeking input on build

mogar

Limp Gawd
With microsoft leaving XP in the dust, I figured I might as well too. My rig has been doing great ever since I built it ages ago (in sig.....xp 32-bit :D), but I'd like to get with the times and move on to either an FX series AMD chip or an i5. I've been out of the loop a while so to speak :p. Now, my problem is that I'm on a bit of a budget ($550 max). So I figured I'd ask the fine people on here what their ideal budget rig would consist of.

1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
This is going to be my only rig right now. So I'll be gaming, web browsing, and recording audio ( I dabble ). But It will see most of it's use gaming (guildwars2, diablo3, CS:GO, L4D, random older games).

2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
I'd prefer to keep it at or under $550 if possible. Would consider moving that up a bit if performance gains justified cost.

3) Which country do you live in? If the U.S, please tell us the state and city if possible.
North Dakota, USA. So yeah....in the middle of nowhere basically. Will have to ship everything.

4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.
CPU, MoBo, RAM, OS

5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
CoolerMaster CM690 case
CoolerMaster Hyper 212+ cooler
Gigabyte HD6950 1gb
WD caviar black 640gb hdd
ASUS dvd-r drive
Corsair hx520w psu

6) Will you be overclocking?
Might try this time

7) What is the max resolution of your monitor? What size is it?
22" acer 1680x1050. Will be moving to a larger monitor eventually.

8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
Within the next 2 weeks. Would like to have the build completed before the XP deadline, but have to wait for tax return to be deposited in my acct.

9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? eSATA? Onboard video (as a backup or main GPU)? UEFI? etc.
Reliability first. But apart from that, I don't plan on Xfire or SLI. Nor do I need onboard video. Would be nice if it was stable enough for OC'ing as well.

10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?
No, so I also need to factor in $100 for Win 7 64-bit.

Basically, I want to move on to either an FX or i5 chip with the ability to do a mild OC. I will use this build as a base for future upgrades, namely a new GPU, PSU, and an SSD or two.

Thanks in advance :)

How many GPU slots are required? How "high" an overclock?
An AMD FX-6300 build is the most cost effective, though THE cm212+ may limit overclock.
The Intel I5 4670 is the best all around chip, and a better match for the CM 212+.
RAM 2x4GB 1600/1866 is about $80 (possibly a little less).
W7 OEM SP1 $100 (this has been on sale from newegg periodically for $80, but with end in sight less incentive to discount, so who knows.
550-180= $370
I5 4670K $240 = $130 for motherboard
MSI
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=13-130-727

@wtourist - I did say that I won't be doing any Xfire or SLI, so only 1 GPU slot is needed. As far as OC'ing, it'll be pretty mild with any chip I get until I get a new PSU later this year (hopefully) with a new GPU. Plus, I'd also like to get a new cooler (h80 or equivalent) before I do any serious OC'ing. Since I already have the 212+, that will be what I'll be using until I can afford something nicer (hence why I'd only be doing a small OC. Also, would you recommend me going with W8 over W7? The reason I was sort of leaning towards W7 is because it has been out for a while and I'm a little more familiar with it. But if W8 would be the better choice I'd go with that.

@JCrimsom - I know. It's sickening lol :D. All these nice deals have to go on while I wait for checks to clear :(. I hope there are still some good deals in a week or so.

I really am leaning towards the 4670k (plus only a few $ more than the non-k version which can't OC). On the other hand, I have no problem going with something like the i5 4430 to save a few bucks now and getting a 4670k in the future. That path would give me an excuse to get an itx board and building an HTPC with the 4430 later. I've not had an intel chip since my old s478 p4 2.8, but if enough people could sway me towards the fx6300 I'll go with that. I got a friend that uses that chip and he has been quite happy with his rig.

choices choices.....

Keep the suggestions coming. Like I said, I got ~2 weeks to make a decision so the more input the better :D!

How old is that Corsair PSU by the way ? You may have to buy a new one depending on your answer.

@Excalibur55 - Probably 4 years or so now.

Hmmmm If you're really serious on overclocking, I would buy a new PSU. I'll let others like Dangman or Tiraides make a judgment on this point but personally I would add that part to your budget.

Anyway, even if you don't overclock that part will need to be replace in 1 or 2 years from now. After 5 or 6 years of age, a PSU has a higher chance of failing and maybe bring down the entire build with it in the process...

Edit : But your current PSU is a Corsair usually a good brand, so I guess it's almost a flip of a coin here

Last edited:
Back