Finally going full WC - advice on what I've picked out

ugapug

Limp Gawd
Ok, I'm finally going to bite the bullet and go WC. Saving up for a Caselabs TH10, and planning very shortly to pick up the following items to cool the CPU and VRMs of my Rampage IV Extreme with a 3820 in a single loop - GPU loop (or rad/loop addition) will come after Kepler hits.

Pump/Reservoir

CPU Block

MB Block

Radiator

Going with Bitspower 3/8"X1/2" compression fittings and Drain Valve and using Primochill tubing, and, of course, 6 GT AP-15s in push/pull.

Is an IANDH Silver Killcoil adequate for anti-bacterial protection? Let me know if I'm screwing up somewhere, especially in terms of the pump/reservoir setup. There will, of course, be a build log when I tear it down to swap to the TH10.

If your planing on doing a dual loop in the future with the CPU and GPUs separate then your best getting a split reservoir and use 2 MCP35x pumps if you want to stick with a bay res. Actually in general I'd try to steer you away from bay pump/reservoirs. I have one and want to get rid of it. With large cases the length of hose to get to and from the Res gets a little long and isn't as aesthetically pleasing as I'd like. That's my own preference though.

For a dual setup I'd more then likely steer you towards 2 water tanks with a MCP350 on the bottom for each. Or for a single loop one larger tank with a D5/655 at the bottom.

Everything else looks good. Your going to catch hell from some members about the EK stuff. Their issues have been resolved just most member have a sour taste in their mouth over the blame game they played. Distilled water and killcoil is all you need.

Not a bad start. Couple things. Can you fit a quad rad into that case? I know the smaller M8 can only handle triple's.

Other thing is that you don't have a pump listed. that monsoon res doesn't come with a pump. I've heard that res is pretty good tho, toss in a D5 and you're on your way. I'd recommend the one with the speed dial on the back. Otherwise i'd say you're good to go, happy cooling!

That tubing only has a 1/16th wall... it can kink easily. I would switch to 3/8-5/8...

The TH10 can do 4 480 rads in the top and bottom, 2 horizontally, and one in the front. So I think I'm cake for expandability :). In the options for the Monsoon you can add a D5 to it, which I would definitely use. The other option is going with a D5 with an EK 140 pump top (which, the more I think about it, is likely the way I'm going to go due to the insane length of hose to get to and from the bay res). I will probably use some 45 degree Bitspower fittings to make the tubing curve less extreme. Yeah, I will just add a complete 2nd loop just for the GPUs. To illustrate the size of the TH10, the builds I've seen with the Rampage IV Extreme in them using this case make the MB look like it's an mATX board.

I have the that CPU block and it works great. As for tubing I like the fatter pipes, lol. 1/2 x 3/4 is the way to go if you can do it.

I had 3/8 x 1/2 and it was just to small for my needs, look wise that is.

I run Walmart distilled water with a killcoil, no problems over the last 4 months.

The blocks should looks nice together with that board. All black FTW.

Definitely go with 1/8 inch walled tubing. I'm not a fan of EK or bay-style res, but to each his own. Yep, a little bit of silver is just fine. All I run is distilled and a silver coil and the water is crystal clear over a year later.

After a few suggestions, I think I'm going to up the fitting size to 3/8"x5/8" and go with an EK D5 res top/655 combo. Glad to hear the silver coil works, it just seems so much more elegant and worry-free than additives.

You'll be amazed at how big that case is. I have an M8 and laughed when I saw the poor Fed Ex guy carrying the box for the thing. They are massive and make all my previous Lian Li's look like they were built in a Jr High shop class. The quality is amazing.

That 655 is complete overkill for a CPU only loop. If you were planing on adding the GPUs to the same loop eventually then I'd suggest it. A MCP350/355 with a pump top should be sufficient for the CPU alone and use a 655 for the GPUs if you plan to go with more than 2. If not go with another 350/355.

The 655 for just a CPU is wasted money if you ask me. You won't see any feasible improvement of temperatures on the CPU with the additional pressure the 655 has over the 350. It's your choice though.

Best single loop option that will cut down in costs and keep it just as cool as a dual loop. Res>655pump>Rad>CPU>Rad>GPUs>Back to Res. You'll also end up spending ~$200 less for that single loop.

Thing is, the 655 and the 355 generally run around the same price. In higher restriction loops, the 355 with a pump top will do better than the 655. In lower restriction/parallel loops, the 655 does better.

The XSPC Raystorm or Swiftech Apogee HD are both better and cheaper than that EK block. Both are around $50-60 at Jab-tech.

The Black Ice GTX radiator will be better than that radiator with AP-15s in push/pull.

I'm going to add the GPUs to the loop after Kepler comes out, so I think I'll go with the 655. The problem I have with the Raystorm block is it has been getting generally awful reviews about its mounting system. I'll take it with a grain of salt, though. I'll have to check into the Black Ice rad.

Update: Made a few changes to the build.

Here's what I went with:

Rad: 2x Alphacool UT60 480 Full copper - low restriction and it's essentially all copper. Good review from Skinneelabs.
Case: Caselabs TH10
CPU Block: EK Supreme HF Acetal: Went copper without the nickel coating.
Mobo Block: EK RIVE Block Acetal.
Pump: Alphacool VPP655 with HF top - it's a D5 vario with a pretty damn good top on it.
Res: EK 250 Multioption
Bitspower 3/8*5/8 fittings all around. I will be using the fillport option on the rads to fill the loop from the top of the case, though I hate to drill into my precious. Added Koolance QDCs to the loop so I can add the GPU without too much fuss later.
GT AP15s all around.
Temp/flow sensors in the loop.
Primochill UV red tubing.
It'll be distilled water with a killcoil. Sometimes simple is best.
Going with an Aquaero 5 to control everything and keep it as quiet as possible.

I'm 68 and 72 in the step-up queue for 680s, so hopefully not too much longer.

The remaining parts for the build will be ordered this week, so look for a build log shortly.

Back